27 replies to this topic

#1 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:41 AM

In talking with another Rev flyer yesterday, I found out we didn't agree on why the vinyl sleeve is on the top end cap on the vertical rod. Why do you think the vinyl sleeve is there? Has anyone taken them off and flown that way for any length of time? And, a question for for beach flyers, does the sleeve keep sand out of that end cap? Has anyone used the sleeve on all end caps on the beach? What was your experience?

Thanks,
Tom

#2 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:47 AM

ISTBC but I believe its a sand cap. See here:

http://www.kiteworld...g/info_614.html

Some of the caps on offer are sand proof, some not. Ergo I think they are sand caps.

I have taken them off on most of my kites with no issues. I got the impression that mine didn't get gummed up any more than anyone else's on Huntington Beach (That's a beach that I went flying on in California Jonesey) although it has to be said that an impression I gained is hardly a scientific test!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:55 AM

It greatly reduces the rubbing between vertical spar and leading edge.

Take those off, and the rubbing there is prone to wear a small hole in LE material, as well as the leading spar itself over time. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:02 AM

Take those off, and the rubbing there is prone to wear a small hole in LE material, as well as the leading spar itself over time. ;)

That's what I say too. I've had it happen on an old kite.
If it was for sand, you'd think it would be on the bottom of the vertical spar.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#5 Scott A.

Scott A.

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:03 AM

From My experience,
Removing the vinyl, the vertical rod will wear on the leading edge sleeve eventually, putting extra stress on that one little spot on the leading edge rod. If you can stand that little extra weight, deal with it. I have kites that the sleeve is completely worn through. It has a purpose!

Disclamer, I've flown my kites quite a bit, And I'm hard on em, I don't have a kite That I've had for at least 5 years that the mesh is not torn either. (3d catch and throw stuff, big grubby mitts) I think JB has so many kites they don't get a chance to be really worn out. The maintenance tips here n the Forum are very good and should be followed, My kites are worn and If I had a masterpiece I would not fly as much. My kite bag has some mega beaters. put some tape and keep flying em. I fly mine until they die!
Scott Weider
Team REV RIDERS

#6 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:06 AM

ISTBC but I believe its a sand cap. See here:

http://www.kiteworld...g/info_614.html

Some of the caps on offer are sand proof, some not. Ergo I think they are sand caps.

I have taken them off on most of my kites with no issues. I got the impression that mine didn't get gummed up any more than anyone else's on Huntington Beach (That's a beach that I went flying on in California Jonesey) although it has to be said that an impression I gained is hardly a scientific test!

Jeremy,

Not the end caps in your post, but the uppermost vertical rod end caps ... "A' in the included link:

http://www.awindofch..._Code=rev-parts

It looks like Kiteworld only lists the "C" style end caps ... for the LE rod ends. Those rubber donuts are to protect the bungie cord when the end caps are inserted into SLE rods ... yes? Having been successfully steered clear of SLE rods, I have no experience with them.

Huntington Beach was great ... my first experience with sand ... Jonesey was there vicariously wasn't he? I seem to remember you streaming pictures to him. Surely that's almost the same as being there.

Cheers,
Tom

#7 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:00 AM

Huntington Beach was great ... my first experience with sand ... Jonesey was there vicariously wasn't he? I seem to remember you streaming pictures to him. Surely that's almost the same as being there.

Cheers,
Tom

I refuse to rise to the bait and waste my 1000th post on you two ...... damn too late :wacko:

If you don't have the covers try spraying the luff tape/affected area and caps with McLube .. awesome stuff lots of sailing people coat the whole of their boats hull and sails to reduce wear/friction ..... I am currently soaking some old 120's in it to see if restores the 'slipperiness' and may do all my kite sails as well to reduce wear/marking etc ....

#8 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:14 AM

I refuse to rise to the bait and waste my 1000th post on you two ...... damn too late :wacko:

If you don't have the covers try spraying the luff tape/affected area and caps with McLube .. awesome stuff lots of sailing people coat the whole of their boats hull and sails to reduce wear/friction ..... I am currently soaking some old 120's in it to see if restores the 'slipperiness' and may do all my kite sails as well to reduce wear/marking etc ....

1000th post!!!! Congrats!!!

Since my "friends" from IKE gave my Gold and Raspberry SUL the nick named McKite, I thought you were pulling my leg with the McLube stuff. But, the web site shows North Sails as a partner, so ... hmmm. You will share your experiences ... yes!

Cheers,
Tom

#9 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:27 AM

1000th post!!!! Congrats!!!

Since my "friends" from IKE gave my Gold and Raspberry SUL the nick named McKite, I thought you were pulling my leg with the McLube stuff. But, the web site shows North Sails as a partner, so ... hmmm. You will share your experiences ... yes!

Cheers,
Tom

For once I wasn't joking! I worked for North Sails for many years and we used to use a lot of the stuff... you can buy it in aerosol form (like WD40 etc) or liquid which is good for soaking lines etc .... will let you know how the lines respond....

#10 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

Jeepster, I believe my rev II classic has one of those doofers you mention (lost the other one though).
1 of the 47.

#11 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:17 AM

It also serves the purpose of holding the rod in place when the rod, due to loose sail, falls out of the lower cap.

Regarding the LE rubbing the down rods. Around 1990/1991 a strip of Kevlar was added underneath the Dacron where the rods cross. This reduced the rods rubbing on each other. I had a 1990 REV I that did NOT have this. The rods were heavily grooved, but never broke. You should be able to find this Kevlar under the Dacron on all REVs presently made and since about 1991.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#12 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:31 AM

That's what I say too. I've had it happen on an old kite.
If it was for sand, you'd think it would be on the bottom of the vertical spar.

For sand, you need to buy a piece of silicon tube, like the surgical stuff. The ID of the tube should fit snug over the rods. For the end cap you need to stretch it a bit, but then it stays on better. It does a pretty good job at keeping the sand out, as long as the cap is on the rod. This you need to do for all 6 end caps. For the upper vertical, you need to make the silicon cover a bit longer to protect the LE rod.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#13 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

Yep jeepster that's the ones I meant. Kiteworld do all 3 types - the SLE rods with the stoppers, the unadorned 1" caps and the ones with what they call sand caps. I was referring to the words not the picture. I am not sure about their sand protecting properties though for the reasons I said. But also why would you only do 2 caps. Not sure I buy the chaff argument either. Adding extra thickeness of a material at the point of rub with more friction and no greater sacrificial properties would seem to achieve the opposite. Good old baggywrinkles, that's the trick! Or of course mclube. All my kites are mclubed every place a rod could touch. Maybe that is why I have not a mark despite not having the caps. Fab stuff which saves my business thousands of pounds a year in chaff on sails etc.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#14 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

I thought you were pulling my leg with the McLube stuff. But, the web site shows North Sails as a partner, so ... hmmm. You will share your experiences ... yes!

Cheers,
Tom

Tom

Just got back from testing my McLube'd old 120's ...... before I did it around 8-10 complete spin turns was about the limit before the lines started to bind up and 'complain' ..... After McLube I got to 30 without a problem... I think I would call that an unqualified success :w00t:

#15 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

Tom

Just got back from testing my McLube'd old 120's ...... before I did it around 8-10 complete spin turns was about the limit before the lines started to bind up and 'complain' ..... After McLube I got to 30 without a problem... I think I would call that an unqualified success :w00t:

Is this McLube spray local to you guys? What would the American equiv be? I have an old line set I'd experiment with.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#16 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

Is this McLube spray local to you guys? What would the American equiv be? I have an old line set I'd experiment with.

Perhaps these folk can help, it is, or rather, the McStuff we used to use was PTFE based.

http://www.mclubemarine.com/where.php

After wearing through Dacron sleeves at the top connector and wearing spars I sure buy the soft vinyl fittings as spar protectors.

#17 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:20 PM

Care to do a standalone topic post on McLube, including application and technique?

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#18 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

Care to do a standalone topic post on McLube, including application and technique?

Am I allowed to make jokes about Jeremy and Sheep? (Sorry Monkeys joke not mine!)

Will take some picks and post a thread ....

McLube originates on your side of the pond and is sold in various markets under similar names .... the marine site is most familiar to me but there are industrial applications so .... as per Harrier's link or this one for the full story .....

#19 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

Am I allowed to make jokes about Jeremy and Sheep? (Sorry Monkeys joke not mine!)

:wub:
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#20 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

Am I allowed to make jokes about Jeremy and Sheep?

I think you may find that it is not me that has a name which comes from the part of the world traditionally associated with that activity Mr Jones. This makes me think we have a case of the pink shirted ewe calling the sheep black......
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users