Photo

My first revolution flight/how do I tie knots?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sage

Sage
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

I now know why the call them revolutions.

It was an exciting time my family was interested in the new kite. Winds started out at around 10 mph quickly rising to 12-13. I new the winds were to fast but I had to fly the kite at least once. I remembered one important thing launch the kite and hover a few feet off the ground.

The kite rolled over a few times on the ground and my quickly fixed it. My first launch the kit went up a few feet and remembering to hover I held it there for what seemed like an eternity, ok maybe 1 second. The kite started falling back to earth and to compensate for this I pulled back sharply on the sticks, any guess what happened next, the kite shot up into the sky a few revolutions and streaks back and forth I was able to control roughly what part of the sky the kit was in, then it all happened so fast.

It seemed the wind gusted to 20 mph my new revolution steaking back and forth, then our single string kite moved into the revolution flying area quickly they became tangled and amazingly I was able to land the revolution.

To shorten up the post the second launch (I know winds were to fast) broke the right strings. But it was exciting and amazing. I can't believe how powerfull the kite was.

I will search the forum but in case it's not there can anyone help me tie the knots to reattach my kite?

My nearest kite store is 40 miles away I hope to be able to repair the lines and fly in the morning in lighter winds.

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

I now know why the call them revolutions.

It was an exciting time my family was interested in the new kite. Winds started out at around 10 mph quickly rising to 12-13. I new the winds were to fast but I had to fly the kite at least once. I remembered one important thing launch the kite and hover a few feet off the ground.

The kite rolled over a few times on the ground and my quickly fixed it. My first launch the kit went up a few feet and remembering to hover I held it there for what seemed like an eternity, ok maybe 1 second. The kite started falling back to earth and to compensate for this I pulled back sharply on the sticks, any guess what happened next, the kite shot up into the sky a few revolutions and streaks back and forth I was able to control roughly what part of the sky the kit was in, then it all happened so fast.

It seemed the wind gusted to 20 mph my new revolution steaking back and forth, then our single string kite moved into the revolution flying area quickly they became tangled and amazingly I was able to land the revolution.

To shorten up the post the second launch (I know winds were to fast) broke the right strings. But it was exciting and amazing. I can't believe how powerfull the kite was.

I will search the forum but in case it's not there can anyone help me tie the knots to reattach my kite?

My nearest kite store is 40 miles away I hope to be able to repair the lines and fly in the morning in lighter winds.

Sorry to hear about this and to top it off I really do not have any good news for you.

If you try to tie them together, the odds are it will slip through the knots. If it doesn't it will create a weak point at the knot which would be the place the line would most likely break in the later.

The best thing is to replace the broken lines with exactly the same mfr type and weight of line.

The alternative is to shorten your lines to length where they are broken and use the left overs for another set of lines if long enough.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

Hi Sage, and welcome.

Let us all know where you are. You never know, one of us might live next door to you. Have a spare lineset you can borrow, or be able to fix the set you have.

We are a pretty easy to get on with bunch. So much so that we are family.

Hope you get it sorted out.

#4 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:27 PM

As the bear said, let us know where you are. One of us may even have a spare line set we can give you permanently ;)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#5 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

Yep, as you can see from KK's post above, we even have "Off World" family.

#6 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

"Off World" family.

Which reminds me, see you in the "world's armpit" in a hour or two Chris.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:53 PM

Sorry, but I must disagree, if you are breaking lines, I would suggest to go up in weight in line strength
also quality lines do make a difference Lazer Pro Gold Lines are the best, and then Shanti - Quad Line Warp Speed Sets. are a close second, if you bought 90# lines try 150#

Also when the wind picks up, and there is alot of pull on the lines move foward while flying, and this will help, in some cases you may have to run foward.

The lines were cut, thus you might want to think again about what you said!

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#8 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:37 AM

Looks to me as the lines were tangled, and NOT CUT.

I stand by what I said, and have the right to disagree. :boxing:

It is very easy to cut (melt) Rev lines when tangled with slk's, a good number of us have either done it or have seen it happen, with a sound set of 90lb lines there are no worries about breaking them in normal flight.
It is possible to knot them, use a Blood knot or simlar (used to join monofilament line), I have been flying on knotted lines for over a year, knotted with a simplified version of the Blood knot, no problem as long as the join is not near the middle of the line where wraps can catch on the knot.
Being as we fly among slk's here a lot we have more than one set of knotted lines in regular use.

#9 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:59 AM

My very first line set broke (or melted) when a slk went into it. It was so quick I didn't even know what happen. I was lucky and the break (3 lines) was only a few feet from the kite and I was back up in a few minutes and much wiser. Hint, until you get a bit better with the control stay away form the killer kites. Later you can terrorize them. :devil:
IMHO: stay with 90 lb.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#10 Sage

Sage
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:22 AM

Thank you all very much. I live in the south bay area in California.

I think I will stay with the 90 pound line, I am worried that the line might be like a fuse and if I move to 150 I will lose that fuse.

I already tried to use a novice knot and the lines pulled apart. The cut was pretty much in the middle, but I have made new lines that are much shorter that I will try out this morning before there is any wind.

#11 kiteking

kiteking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:34 AM

Here is a good article on splicing spectra

Sorry that is to create a loop here is a inline splice
Wind to your back, Kite in the air.

MikeM
Brookings, OR

Posted Image ----- Posted Image ------- Posted Image Posted Image

----#518 ---------- #110883

#12 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

Thank you all very much. I live in the south bay area in California.

I think I will stay with the 90 pound line, I am worried that the line might be like a fuse and if I move to 150 I will lose that fuse.

I already tried to use a novice knot and the lines pulled apart. The cut was pretty much in the middle, but I have made new lines that are much shorter that I will try out this morning before there is any wind.

Take care that you don't use knot repaired lines at a competition. You could be in for a DQ if caught.

#13 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:58 AM

Here is a good article on splicing spectra

Sorry that is to create a loop here is a inline splice

Unfortunately splicing would be a quite difficult task with the "thin" 90# lines. I have spliced about 250# line with success and that wasn't easy. I imagine 500# lines would be easy.

#14 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:14 PM

I have managed to splice some 90s but it needed a knot as well as the splice. The result was acceptable for solo flying, and I still use the set from time to time. When I break another set I will replace the sliced line as it is near useles for team work (catches onmultiple wraps).
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#15 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:55 PM

Hi Sage-
Welcome to the family.
Based on what you said, you will be flying on lines half the length you started out on. The shorter the lines are, the quicker your inputs need to be. Basically, it will, most likely, be even tougher to control your Rev, for now, with the shorter lines.
There's tons of great information on this forum to help with the basic "how to's". It does help to read them again and again. You will find that when you're trying something and it doesn't quite work, as you think about it, you will come up with a solution to your dilemma based on what you've read previously. It has happened to me!!
As the guys have said, feel free to ask and the Rev Family will happily answer all of your questions.
Good luck and have fun- always!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#16 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:33 AM

The cool thing about shorter lines is, you are in more direct contact and you can see what your inputs are doing.

Also once you go back to longer lines things seem easier.

I found it helped a lot with hovers (still trying to own them though).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users