43 replies to this topic

#1 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:27 PM

After joining the form and reading for about a week, I went out flying today for the first time in quite awhile. I noticed things felt kind of sluggish and due to my reading here I checked the tension of the sail for the first time and realized it was loose as a goose. Who knows how long it's been that way. I have had this 1.5 SLE since 2002. I adjust things on the spot and immediately noticed a huge improvement. I guess what I am trying to say is thanks guys. Now it's time to read more to see what else I can do and just how to keep thing as good as Rev intended. If I knew anyone around here that flew Revs I would surly tell them to join this form.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#2 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

i too like real tight sails when they get to loose i untie the bungees and retie them tighter then cut away the extra i just did my shockwave sail it to was flying bad with a simple tightening now all is well
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:31 PM

Yup, I'm in total agreement. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:20 AM

I untied/retied the lower bungees. Like I said it worked great but, is there any difference or preference
in lower vs. upper bungees?

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#5 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:20 AM

For me tightening the top bungee is the best choice. The reason for this is that it pushes the verticle spars down. This means less rod sticking up past the leading edge. The means less snags when sliding on the ground etc etc.

Either way, try and make sure that all sides of the sail are even. Another tip, try and adjust the sail on a dry day, if the kite is wet you get stretch so when it dries out everything tightens up again. So if you tightened the sail too far you could have problems.

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#6 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:13 AM

Good advice! I am glad I only tied the bungee and have not cut it yet. Now all I need is some wind.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:02 PM

i notciced that with a tighter sail lighter wind peformance is much better
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#8 stryker2

stryker2

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 06:23 AM

Agreed! Tight is good :)

#9 Ruud

Ruud

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:23 AM

Agreed! Tight is good :)

Hi all,

I have replaced the top bungee with an old piece of bridle line, and it flies even better.

#10 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:32 AM

Hi all,

I have replaced the top bungee with an old piece of bridle line, and it flies even better.

Thatís interesting. Are you able to get the caps on and keep the tension? It seems like that might be a cleaner way of doing things. Take a picture for us.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#11 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:30 AM

Ruud, can you describe the difference... How it flies better this way?

Genuinely curious. ;)

MrDenny, he still has bungi on the bottom end caps... Still easy to take on/off.

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#12 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:59 AM

Ruud, can you describe the difference... How it flies better this way?

Genuinely curious. ;)

MrDenny, he still has bungi on the bottom end caps... Still easy to take on/off.

I did this once, long ago, and it made the sail really stiff. I remember it had flown quite nice.The end caps were not easy to remove, but possible. However, it did not last long as the sail stretched very quickly.
It does have its pros and cons.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#13 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:01 AM

Yeah, excessive sail stretch would be a drag.

John Barresi

#14 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, excessive sail stretch would be a drag.

A drag in more ways than one..... :o
W.A.C.K.O.S. - Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society

#15 Ruud

Ruud

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

he still has bungi on the bottom end caps... Still easy to take on/off.

Indeed, and the difference imho is that it feels more precise.

The end caps were not easy to remove, but possible. However, it did not last long as the sail stretched very quickly.

That is too tight, my sail has just a little vertikal winkle that disapears when flying, and I have no excessive sail stretch.

#16 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:10 PM

That is too tight, my sail has just a little vertikal winkle that disapears when flying, and I have no excessive sail stretch.

You will get a horizontal stretch of the sail much earlier then when using a bungi. Not today or tomorrow but soon.
One of the reasons for a bungi is to help prevent the sail from stretching by stretching itself first. With a non-stretch connection to the end cap puts all the stress on the sail, thus stretch, no matter how reasonably tight or reasonably loose it is.

Believe me, I have been flying Revolution kites for 17 years and I have been through quite a number of sails. I have seen them stretch so much that they rip at the stress points, because I used very low stretch bungi material or string.

Another name for bungi is shock chord. The name explains it's self.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#17 Ruud

Ruud

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:38 PM

John,

Don't get me wrong, I believe you, and I respect the things you did with a Rev, but I'm always try to improve things.
Are you coming to Berck next week, ifso maybe we can have a little chat about it.

Greetings,
Ruud

#18 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:52 AM

John,

Don't get me wrong, I believe you, and I respect the things you did with a Rev, but I'm always try to improve things.
Are you coming to Berck next week, ifso maybe we can have a little chat about it.

Greetings,
Ruud

Really, I just want to make you quite aware of the down falls from my experience before you destroy a good sail.

The goal to achieve, is to find a material that will develop the bellow you need in the sail, that does not stretch, even over a period of time. Then your solid connection to the end caps would work well over a reasonable length of time.
You might be able to do something with an all mylar sail by cutting a slight curve on the seams between pieces in order to achieve the below you need. Of course, you will have to develop a panel layout to create this bellow. If you ever looked precisely at a Synergy Deca, they use this concept, but with Icarex. Mylar has another downfall in that it is slick relative to the roughness of polyester or nylon. This tells me the air would slide off maybe too easy.
Icarex did make a mylar backed polyester around 10-12 years ago. It looked like the P38(not P31) on the front, with a smooth mylar back. This might have been the perfect solution. Unfortunately it appears that it has long disappeared from the market and to top it off, the available colors were very limited. Maybe with luck, you might still find some of it somewhere.

Sorry, both Berck and Cervia are out for me this year. I am hoping to go to both next year.

#19 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

Really, I just want to make you quite aware of the down falls from my experience before you destroy a good sail.

The goal to achieve, is to find a material that will develop the bellow you need in the sail, that does not stretch, even over a period of time. Then your solid connection to the end caps would work well over a reasonable length of time.
You might be able to do something with an all mylar sail by cutting a slight curve on the seams between pieces in order to achieve the below you need. Of course, you will have to develop a panel layout to create this bellow. If you ever looked precisely at a Synergy Deca, they use this concept, but with Icarex. Mylar has another downfall in that it is slick relative to the roughness of polyester or nylon. This tells me the air would slide off maybe too easy.
Icarex did make a mylar backed polyester around 10-12 years ago. It looked like the P38(not P31) on the front, with a smooth mylar back. This might have been the perfect solution. Unfortunately it appears that it has long disappeared from the market and to top it off, the available colors were very limited. Maybe with luck, you might still find some of it somewhere.

Sorry, both Berck and Cervia are out for me this year. I am hoping to go to both next year.

So....one year later..... are you going to Berck this year John ??

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#20 briansommers

briansommers
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:17 AM

is there a link or something that would show exactly how to "tighten your sails"? - I have been out of flying for about 3 yrs and I want to get back into it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users