Photo

Home made Rev I sized quad kite: flying troubles!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Retep87

Retep87
  • Forum Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:58 AM

Hi!
I've been at it again: been busy the last few weeks with building a new Rev kite! I've already build a 1.5 a few years back. Got hooked on the precision and control it gives! Now I have been working on a vented Rev I with an original spar set (4 wrap). Bring on the ballistic winds :) . Last weekend I tried it out with a light breeze, these rods are such an amazing difference with the ones I have in the 1.5 (skyshark something). As soon as I get some pics I will post it here!
Now for the trouble: I couldn't do a reverse launch. No matter how much I pulled on the brakes lines, it wouldn't reverse (neither from the ground nor in the air). If the kite was on the LE on the ground, I needed to grab the bottom lines with my hands and pull to launch it :wacko:
The lines are all of the same length, I double checked the bridles (looks perfect), the sail is nice and symmetrical... The lines on the handles were at maximal brake position. Steering wasn't all that bad, but the wind wasn't that good to test it in though. Hopefully I get a chance to fly this weekend.
I think that my handles are the problem. I build them myself for the older 1.5 I made. If I compare them to original handles, they are smaller. They are about 12 inches ( before bending them!). After bending they are around 10 inches from brake line to steerer line (in a straight line). For the 1.5 they suit perfectly. The rev I is somewhat bigger though.

Do you think I need to make some larger handles? The range of the brake line will be better than with my current handles. I will probably make them around 15 inches before bending, and make a smaller bend (old handles are about 45 degrees, new ones I'll bend to 30 degrees). This way the distance between bottom and upper line will be around 13 inches. Also I'll make some longer pigtails for the upper lines so I can put more pressure on the brake lines.

Any thoughts?

Thank you and greetings from Holland :)

Peter

#2 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:43 AM

I have a few Rev 1s which I love flying. There is no problems with reverse on them.
Are you sure about the bridle? I have even flown mine on the short Rev 2 handles and it still reverses OK.
Good luck with it.

#3 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:48 AM

Which bridle did you fashion yours after? Remember the older Rev 1s did not use equal top and bottom lines.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:19 AM

Fair questions regarding frame, tuning and technique. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

Which bridle did you fashion yours after? Remember the older Rev 1s did not use equal top and bottom lines.

Good point. I think the top lines were about 6" longer with the early Rev 1.

That would have a LOT of drive dialed in if you are on equal lwngth lines as you suggested.

I would be WELL difficult to reverse in that case.

I have an OLD Rev 1 and put pigtails on the top to lengthen the top lines so that I could use it with equal length lines. I have now put a new bridle on it so dont need to have the pigtails now.

#6 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

I suspect MrDenny's on the right track. I find with my I's I needed to add a leader to the top attachment points on the bridle (as well as the normal handle leaders) to get any reverse or brake at all. I would add 4" leaders on your bridle and 6" on the handles if I were you. Don't bother with longer handles for the moment IMHO.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#7 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:38 AM

Yes Baloo is right.
I built a Re...sorry, i built a one off, home made, quad kite ;) about the size of a Rev 1.
At the field i could,nt get it to fly at all.
I ended up extending the top pigtails another 6 inch, and it flys ok now

Derek

#8 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:51 AM

I'm all about simple so I put a new (from Rev) Rev 1 bridle on my older Rev 1 and it now handles just fine with the same line sets as all my other Revs without any additional pig tails or mods.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#9 Retep87

Retep87
  • Forum Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for the input! Sounds really helpfull. I guess I'll put some pigtails on the kite's upper bridle attachment so I can use the same handles for all the kites. Kind of silly of me to not have tried this in the field last weekend, I even packed some extra bridle lines just in case...
I'll let you know how it flies as soon as I find some flying time :)

#10 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:22 AM

I built a Re...sorry, i built a one off, home made, quad kite ;) about the size of a Rev 1.

Nicely done Derek... It's almost like a word puzzle, eh? :P

Just to clarify for discussion's sake, and for the less frequent posters...

If you made it, it's not a Rev (brand name)... It would be a "Rev style quad kite". ;)

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#11 flyinken

flyinken

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

:rolleyes:

Nicely done Derek... It's almost like a word puzzle, eh? :P

Just to clarify for discussion's sake, and for the less frequent posters...

If you made it, it's not a Rev (brand name)... It would be a "Rev style quad kite". ;)

And if you bought a copy not made in the US, then it's called a ( insert whatever foul reference ). :rolleyes:
Sorry, could not resist.
Ken

#12 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:54 AM

Hey, not bad for a Rev newbie... Bonus points to Ken! <GRIN>

John Barresi

#13 Retep87

Retep87
  • Forum Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

Hi guys, it worked! I made some extensions at the upper bridle connections, six inches long. It flew perfectly today in gusty conditions (northeast direction, 3-5 bft or 10-20 mph). The control was fantastic! Can't wait for 20-25 mph winds, some beach and a beachpole to land it on ^_^ .
I'll get some pics up of my quad kite in the photosection sometime in the near future :)
Thanks for the support :clap;

#14 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

Cool news, glad we could help. Well at least I am. :devil: Presume the rest of the gang are glad too. :D

#15 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:02 PM

Hi guys, it worked! I made some extensions at the upper bridle connections, six inches long. It flew perfectly today in gusty conditions (northeast direction, 3-5 bft or 10-20 mph). The control was fantastic! Can't wait for 20-25 mph winds, some beach and a beachpole to land it on ^_^ .
I'll get some pics up of my quad kite in the photosection sometime in the near future :)
Thanks for the support :clap;

Now, it is time that you buy a real REV! Go for a 1.5 JB. You will like it even more.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#16 Retep87

Retep87
  • Forum Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:55 AM

Now, it is time that you buy a real REV! Go for a 1.5 JB. You will like it even more.

The JB is very appealing (meaning the kite ;) ) . This would be the kite I'd buy, you can't make 'm like that at home :)
But building something yourself can be very rewarding too. If the Rev virus really catches on, there will probably be a 1.5 JB in my kite bag.
For now I'll just sponsor the Rev company with the rod sets, costs a few dimes but worth the money.
The 2-wrap rod set is in order at my local shop (for a reeeally nice artsy project!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users