Taking a Rev on a plane

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BobF

BobF
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:14 AM

Planning to leave frozen Maine for a week in FL and would like to fly a Rev while there. Any suggestions for getting a couple kites to and from without having them destroyed? (A Rev 1 and Exp). They don't fit in my luggage and would either be carry on or stowed.

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:41 PM

Planning to leave frozen Maine for a week in FL and would like to fly a Rev while there. Any suggestions for getting a couple kites to and from without having them destroyed? (A Rev 1 and Exp). They don't fit in my luggage and would either be carry on or stowed.

For two, I normally take them on board as is and put them way back in back of the overhead rack where they take up the unused part where baggage rarely gets. Even in October 2001 I did not have any problems and I flew 8 times within the USA during the 10 days. Once security remarked that my SLE rod could be used for blow darts, but let me carry on.
The alternative is a heavy carton tube or a plastic tube, check them in and pray they don't vaporize.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:28 PM

Hi, taking Revs on a plane is no problems. My team travel frequently by plane to festivals across Europe and have never had a problem.

Various techniques seem to work, I just leave my kites in the Revolution kite bag, and check it in. Be sure to mark it with those FRAGILE stickers so the baggage handlers know which bag to put on the bottom!

Another good technique is to get an extendable artists tube, these are a mid weight plastic tube about 4 inches in diameter that extend. Take all the rods out of the kites and bundle them up, then wrap your kites arond the outside of the rods and put them in the tube. The rods for the 1.5 are certainly short enough for the overhead lockers but I am not sure about the Rev 1 rods.

Hope this helps.

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:54 PM

I'm a big fan of the SKB cases whenever I travel with a number of kites.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:53 PM

I'll also usually just use my rev bag, though I do have a snowboard bag that I can put the rev bag in, with banners, banner poles, tripod, clothes, etc if its a longer trip. I've never had a problem. So far.... ;)
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#6 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:19 PM

The few times I have gone on a plane with my kites, I just carriesd on my home-made kite bag (folding chair bag with pockets) right on the plane with me. No one ever cared. ;)

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Kitezen

Kitezen

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

I put my handles and ground stake, and anything else that would fit, in my checked baggage, and I had no problem taking my kite bag as carry on just this past week. So I would recommend that. It worked well for me. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users