24 replies to this topic

#21 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:19 AM

The very first lesson I provide is "how to cartwheel the kite".
If you crash, this is the position the kite will be in. If you land the kite after flying awhile, this is the safety position to leave it. Knowing how to roll the kite over gently is the first skill to acquire. Then you don't need an assistant to help you launch!

Start with the kite resting on the leading edge (inverted). Look down the lines and determine which handle is on top. Typicvally the lines are crossed over the top of one or the other. Push that "top hand" THUMB at the kite slowly. Insure you have all the tension applied (no slack!) to each line,... walk backwards slightly if necessary. Leave the other handle "neutral". The kite will roll-over as one wing drops forward and grabs air pressure. Practice doing this technique slowly, as the kite rolls over to vertical (leading edge is now pointing directly up) bring both handles back to your neutral position,... otherwise the kite will keep right on rolling across the soil.

You will determine how much "DOWN" to tune into your handles after you replace the leaders. Take a piece of braided dacron (my preference is hi-test bridle line 100 pound strength as it's easier to tie and untie. It's both spectra and a dacron combined).

Fold the line in half and larkshead to the top leaders.
The length of these two legs should reach to beyond
the end of the bottom leader attachment points. The longer the handle throw is the longer the leader should be. Now add some knots spaced equally no more than an inch apart starting at the outer most edge towards the kite.

The length of the bottom leader will be determined by testing.
You want the kite to back-up when inverted. This is a skill-set of some significant experience though,.. Hence the need for a coach or fellow REV pilot with more experience. You have the "DOWN" properly tuned when the kite will back-up with the leading edge inverted. Keep adding down until this takes place. The forward drive will now seem severely restricted. GOOD! That's the objective. Every kite will go forward, many will stall too, but a quad needs to back-up to be flown to it's maximum potential.

Make certain all four flying lines are perfectly equal (1.)

Adjust your "down", adding new leaders if necessary (2.)

Practice rolling over the kite (3.)

Practice flying the kite smoothly as you back-up while inverted (4.)
don't discouraged, this ain't gonna happen in the first attempts. Start with lower expectations. Like backing it up 3 meters and holding it. Eventually we all want to see it go to the top of the wind window like it was moun ted on railroad tracks,.. Races are run against a stopwatch in REV games using this technique. This is a quick way to separate the boys from the real manly men too!

Go to the trouble to find a coach! It can cut years of frustration away in a single afternoon.

#22 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:20 AM

What like Berck :lol: :) ( 2 days and counting )

Don't rub it in :angry:
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#23 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:58 AM

separate the boys from the real manly men too!

Yep, Paul's sharing more tricks to attract the females!!!

Cheers,
Tom

#24 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

I have to say, early on, Paul stressed to me about holding an inverted hover for as long as I could and just keep repeating that, then gaining altitude and doing the same thing. It most definitely helped build my "muscle memory". I still do it just to keep "honing" my skills.

Thanks, Paul ;) great advice!!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#25 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

I have to say, early on, Paul stressed to me about holding an inverted hover for as long as I could and just keep repeating that, then gaining altitude and doing the same thing. It most definitely helped build my "muscle memory". I still do it just to keep "honing" my skills.

Thanks, Paul ;) great advice!!

Muscle memory is good to know and the inverted hover is the place, as with the transitions, to learn it. We have a gentle routine on Blackheath, nothing formal; but will be happy to help anyone who arrives within our time frame.

Felix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users