8 replies to this topic

#1 jimfielder

jimfielder

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:46 PM

This past few months I picked up couple of used EXP's to add to my bag. Mostly to have an extra kite in the bag to hand over to a newbie for there first flights.
My first EXP came with a leading edge the same diameter as my 1.5SLE. My second came with the leading edge of 3 wrap rods.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Jim aka boomertype :blink:

#2 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:57 PM

This past few months I picked up couple of used EXP's to add to my bag. Mostly to have an extra kite in the bag to hand over to a newbie for there first flights.
My first EXP came with a leading edge the same diameter as my 1.5SLE. My second came with the leading edge of 3 wrap rods.

The first EXP was modified to take an SLE (which, takes merely two washers on the end caps ;-) , the second sounds stock.

;)
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#3 jimfielder

jimfielder

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:26 PM

David, so how is the performance different between the two? Does the 3 wrap LE fly in lighter wind?

#4 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:35 AM

David, so how is the performance different between the two? Does the 3 wrap LE fly in lighter wind?

Yes, it will fly in lighter wind, plus some of us prefer the flex that the 3 wrap has (as witnessed in John's new signature kite). Once you get used to it, that flex can give you better precision as well.

:)
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:01 AM

Yes, it will fly in lighter wind, plus some of us prefer the flex that the 3 wrap has (as witnessed in John's new signature kite). Once you get used to it, that flex can give you better precision as well.

:)

I would say:
If you want to be radical, use the SLE rods. It flies hard and fast which is not suitable for pairs or teams
If you want precision, use the .25" 2 or 3 wrap rods. It flies smooth which is great for pairs or teams

John M

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#6 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:13 PM

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Jim the kite comes with a 3 wrap quarte inch leading edge.....Ben

#7 romeosanpedro

romeosanpedro
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:02 PM

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

I need help with my EXP. Do you have any tuning tips or bridle adjustments to help me increase my reverse flight?

#8 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

I need help with my EXP. Do you have any tuning tips or bridle adjustments to help me increase my reverse flight?

The main thing you really need is a lot of training and constant wind conditions.
I found when I was learning, I tried flying upside down most of the time. I soon found that I could fly in reverse well.
I would also suggest that you relax and don't think too hard about what your hands are doing or should be doing.
In time your hands will kind of connect directly to what your eyes are seeing and you automatically react.

It also helps if you use the softer EXP rods, which you should have. The harder SLE rods make the kite too radical.
As for the bridle, check that the right side measurements to all points matches the left side as close as reasonable.
As for the sail, check that the looseness of the sail is the same on both sides.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#9 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:46 PM

The main thing you really need is a lot of training and constant wind conditions.
I found when I was learning, I tried flying upside down most of the time. I soon found that I could fly in reverse well.
I would also suggest that you relax and don't think too hard about what your hands are doing or should be doing.
In time your hands will kind of connect directly to what your eyes are seeing and you automatically react.

It also helps if you use the softer EXP rods, which you should have. The harder SLE rods make the kite too radical.
As for the bridle, check that the right side measurements to all points matches the left side as close as reasonable.
As for the sail, check that the looseness of the sail is the same on both sides.

Another thing I can add is to insure that all your kite lines are the same length, within a few millimeters. It helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users