23 replies to this topic

#21 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

John's lurge wording is probably the closest description to the the problem. The lurch, however, is dramatic. I can hover up/down/right/left and generally hold it in place. It is going from one to the next that I am getting the "lurch" which is sending it all over the place. I'm going to dedicate the next time out to trying to understand where the problem is coming in. It will be a boring time and probably very frustrating, but if that's what it takes to get some control in this area then that's what it takes. Can't really do much else until I have my head around this.

#22 John Barresi

John Barresi

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:32 PM

I also sent Bart a PM on Facebook about rocking the ring/middle/index fingers for control, instead of the whole handle. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.comkitemap.org | Rev Tutorials
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#23 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

I also sent Bart a PM on Facebook about rocking the ring/middle/index fingers for control, instead of the whole handle. ;)

Good one ;) Less over control with finer movements.

Dean

#24 John F

John F

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

I find the best way to learn control is clock work. While working on clock work you are constantly changing the lift on the kite. I try to always get some clockwork practice in with 1/8's 1/4s and 1/2's cw and ccw. Concentration on holding the spot in the sky. It seems to train the neurons to automatically hold position no matter what the kite is doing. Also I find flying boxes and figure 8's backwards help a lot. They look pretty sloppy still but everytime I seem to get a better feel for holding the kite in position thru turns. There are certain turns that really tax the skills. I don't think you can think your way thru these. It is like thinking your way thru walking a balance beam. Something automatic has to take over. So training those auto skills so they are not on your mind seems to work for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users