kimbo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:20 PM

Glad I could help, Ken.

Hi Mike-
How's everything going? Thank god it's finally starting to thaw!!!
Great shot. That looked like a lot of fun!!!!
See you in a couple weeks.

So a launch from this position would be a "reverse launch" correct?? If you just go straight up from this position.
Or, from this position are you supposed to "flip" the kite over in a 180, then launch???

#22 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:10 PM

So a launch from this position would be a "reverse launch" correct?? If you just go straight up from this position.
Or, from this position are you supposed to "flip" the kite over in a 180, then launch???

Bob answered this request in another thread, but I'll give it a go also. The accepted practice is to set up the kite with the leading edge on the ground and the tips up in the air and leaning backwards. This places the kite such that it is trying to fly into the ground. So, that should be the position you'll find yourself when you're ready to launch. There are two things you can do:

1) Pull both handles down and backwards so that you're tugging on the break lines. That will cause the tips to tilt towards you and the wind will cause the kite to launch upside down. You can then rotate the kite 180 degrees about the center and pull back on the top lines to cause the kite to rise. Takes a little practice, but not a lot. That's a reverse launch.

2) One pair of lines will be across the other with the leading edge down. Figure out which one that is. Then pull that handle down and backwards just enough to roll the kite 180 degrees about one end of the leading edge. When the end of the kite that is moving starts to come down move both handles back up in front of you keeping the top of the handles tipped forward a little bit. That motion will anchor the kite to the ground on the two vertical tips. To launch the kite from this position, leading edge up, just tug hard on the handles while bringing the tops backwards into your chest ... a good habit is to also step back to keep the lines tight.

Good luck,
Tom

#23 kiteking

kiteking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:22 PM

Here is revkites.com illustration #8
Wind to your back, Kite in the air.

MikeM
Brookings, OR

Posted Image ----- Posted Image ------- Posted Image Posted Image

----#518 ---------- #110883

#24 TimW

TimW

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:04 PM

I carry two 'stakes' with me, one is a 24inch, 6mm solid fibreglass rubber tipped rod, rescued from a now dead kite, and a smaller 12 inch *ABS PLASTIC with a slight mushroomed top.
The idea of the 24inch rod is to set it at about 60 degrees into the ground with tip facing WITH the wind. I use this rod for multiple uses. It's a bag anchor. It's a wind direction indicator (hole for cotton thread at top), it's a line length checker...hook loops over and unwind, pull on lines, result!! And last but not least, it's a place to test your control accuracy, rod directly between wings, extra pint next time out etc.
The shorter 'stake' is just a boring yet essential brake line anchor, perfect for a quick land, anchor, smoke break. I made a small belt hook to make it easy accessable.

* many years ago while out with a few mates and power kites, a friend used his steel stake and rammed it into the grass, he hit an electricity mains supply that hadn't been buried to the required depth. He suffered severe burns to his hand, arm and leg with irrepairable damage to his nerves resulting in him never flying again.
Mainly its this reason i insist on an ABS Plastic stake.
Finally getting my own back on the wind, after being pushed around by it for years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users