#61 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

So tough to keep my cool.
And it doesn't get any easier, for me at least, with repeated obliviot offenses.
But I must keep trying. For the sake of acceptance of the sport in my city. I love flying so much, I can't lash out. Even if these people here are crazy.

<snip> I yelled repeatedly to him that it was unsafe for his child to be under my kite while trying to keep my kite away from them, his response when I told him that it if it was dangerous under the kite was that I shouldn't be on the beach, my response was that I was trying to land my kite so that I could leave the beach to him and his family but they kept following me and I didn't want to hit his kid or for his dog to bite my $200 kite. I was tired and hungry but I remembered how positive the attitude here is and tried to represent the Rev family as positively as possible. It was really hard.:kid_cussing:<snip>

Sounds like you handled yourself well, MercFlyer!

If I can give you some advice, if there is a security patrol for the beach you fly at, get to know them and how to reach them.
Just a little constructive criticism here: when in an argument like this, leave out the word "dangerous", and any other word like it. Don't want to get it in anyone's head that they can get hurt by a Rev, even if it is true. Parents get nervous and start calling your local government, and they can cause trouble for you!

Sounds like you kept your cool, and tried your best to avoid trouble. Your kite didn't get damaged, so I'd consider it a win for you ;)

Learn to catch and throw with authority .... can get the kite out the air directly into your hands where you can keep it safe. If you can throw with some accuracy then you can back up them up with some screaming javelin throws :innocent:

:lol: :) :kid_devlish: :devil: :kid_devlish: :lol: :)

If only they didn't hand out concealed weapons permits like candy at a Halloween party in Las Vegas......

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#62 MercFlyer

MercFlyer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

Kmwf, I'm on 85' lines so catch and throw is out of my abilities right now but I'll work on it:).

I agree SkyPuppet dangerous was not the best choice of words, I was tired and hungry;). We were at a state park

with no leash law signs, and the forest service doesn't patrol.

I had a great day flying otherwise and I count it as a learning lesson, I need to learn how to communicate the need for safety around kites to the general public better.:P

But when it comes down to it though it really is only a small part of the population that is like that, everyone else on

the beach that day gave me smiles and a wide berth. One gentleman came up to me with his dog and we talked for a

sec, nice dog stayed at his heel. w/e There is always more wind:P

#63 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:40 AM

So far I have been lucky, people at Kitehenge have been relatively aware of the lines laid across the grass. Maybe it is because it shows up better there than in the sand?

You need to come visit the henge someday Al, it is a lot closer then Ocean Shores too!

Yeah henge is a great place, I just learned it's nickname yesterday. I have been pretty lucky so far, and I usually set-up right in the middle between the lot and the dog park. I do try to stay between the dog park gate and the straight line to the bridge from the lot. Nobody seems to use the paths to go to either place :-p

Of course at this point I am flying power kites. 8sqm of fabric swooping around just above head level tends to grab peoples attention :-p Last year I only had to call out to one person, a young child to stop and go around, can't get mad at a youngster, they are naturally clueless. He stoped and walked around behind me and "ohhh and Awed" when I started flying. I am sure seeing a grown man dragged away by a kite got his imagination going too..
Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#64 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Wow, Some MAJOR Obliviot sightings today!! FIgured I would share.

Took the son to the park as the wind was up. He flew AWESOME his 1st time on a rev.

While he was flying we had a family letting thier 2yrd old run all over the park 30ft away from them and ran right into the lines of a parked Rev.
We had a couple of 10yr old girls lay down and trying to roll under his lines, while the mother just walked along an whatched.
We had another family with a toddler flying a single line that backed up almost into our flying window. Why are you backing up when it is blowing 10-15mph?

@10yrs old my son was calm and smart and each time when he saw the obliviots approaching the danger zone he quickly landed the kite and waited.

I must say I was VERY proud of my son, almost beyond words actually.Posted Image
Rev SLE
Rev Blast

#65 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

As long as were sharing, to my dismay they have painted out a football field at my favorite park and now on saturdays there is practice for some high school team. I was flying a good twenty yards to the north of the field when practice time came and I had at least a dozen guys walk right under my kite and some between me and my kite, right under my lines :kid_brooding: An hour later practice is over , I'm still flying and here comes another group walking towards me, I put my kite down and just stood there and watched them walk over my lines, the hole time shaking my head. then to top it off here comes the coach,he got to about five feet from lines , looked at them then looked at me and started walking around behind me, I said"Ok ,I can understand the whole team doin it,but you coach?" Really" We both laughed and he apoligized, so all was good. amazing how some are oblivious!!
Michael
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#66 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

goodmorningheycouldyouwalkaroundmeyourewalkingrightthroughmylinesandyoudidn'tevenbothertocheckyoudidnoticethatiamtakingupaslittleoftheparkaspossiblejustthistiny
corneronfiftyfootlinesandforsomereasoneyouSTILLfoundawaytocutthecornerrihthereandwalkrightinfrontofmeandthisistwicenowirealizetheparkishereforallofusandthatyouhavethe
righttoexerciseheretoobutdon'tyouthinkyouwouldgetmoreexerciseifyoujustwalkedaroundmebecausecuttingthecorneriskindofcheatingandthisisa7acreparkandontopofthatits
justplainrudeifyouwantedtobenoticedyoucould'vejustsaidHI

O....BLIV...I..OTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*panting, fist shaking, teeth clenched*

Whew. I feel better now.

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#67 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

They are everywhere!!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#68 Albroswift

Albroswift

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:28 AM

OMI (Obliviot Motorized Infantry)
Thought I had the Obliviots figured out, took my siren/ megaphone along this weekend
Posted Image
(SQUELCH WATCH OUT FOR THE KITE LINES)
until a stealthy OMI approached under cover of my blind side and blew by without
so much as a brake light!
Posted Image
Note the tire tracks going over my flip flops, two kite stakes, and 8 lines. 5 feet from my sitting position lawn chair next to pick-up.

#69 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

Yeah I had to scream at one as he was cruising 15mph about to go between my handles and rev about 20ft inside my Rev on the ground while my son was holding the handles. I mean how can you see someone facing a kite on the ground and think it is a good idea to go between them and the kite?

That and the horses @ Ocean shores really ruined the trip in allot of ways. They had to use the 50ft everyone flies in between all the parked cars rather than the 200ft between cars and dunes or the 75ft between cars and water line..:kid_cussing:
Rev SLE
Rev Blast

#70 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

OMI (Obliviot Motorized Infantry)
[...]
Note the tire tracks going over my flip flops, two kite stakes, and 8 lines. 5 feet from my sitting position lawn chair next to pick-up.

You need a chunk of pipe, as heavy as you are willing to carry, which you can drive in next to your handle stake. Put a banner on it if you want something decorative. Two five-foot pieces of 1/2" with a coupling should be enough, and fit in the bed of the pickup easily.

BTW, Obliviots are not found only on the sand-side of the waterline: I once had another boater try to go between my boat and the boat I was towing.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#71 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

What are your kites doing parked on the ground ... surely they're in your hands and you're flying them???
:P

#72 Albroswift

Albroswift

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

Can't keep a 1.5 and a 2>4 and a shockwave and a frosty adult beverage and a sandwich all in the air at the same time, only got two hands, have to rotate!

#73 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

Of course you could take the Obliviots view, why do you put kite lines across where they are going to drive / ride horses sail thier boat etc. :kid_devlish:

Ducks for cover

#74 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

Of course you could take the Obliviots view, why do you put kite lines across where they are going to drive / ride horses sail thier boat etc. :kid_devlish:

Ducks for cover

Good thing you ducked - I'd a spit coffee all over my screen!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#75 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

At least I got a reaction :-)

#76 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

Had to bring this back up today! Had a very unpleasant encounter with a person yesterday at Lincoln City! I had been flying for a good while and had several people come by to watch, when a good sized group of kids and a couple of grown-ups used one of the driftwood logs as their base! It was away from where I was flying, which was away from the access stairs, so I didn't give it much thought, just made sure no one was too close or anything! All the time there(several hours), I was asking people to go around lines, please not walk under kites, in general be careful! Well one of the group decided to put up a SLK right next to me!! Fellow on my left noticed it right off and warned me to watch out! I landed and waited to see if she was going to move a bit after launching and getting it sorted out!! Nope - wasn't gonna move!! So I staked out my kite and went to go talk to her. I got about 1/2 way there when she called out - "I know you want me to move - you've been bossing everybody on the beach."! WHAT? Trying to protect my stuff and warn people about possible dangers has now entered the realm of bossing!! Even with flying in the same spot for several hours? I was just floored! At least she moved, but I just couldn't get that out of my head - I am now perceived as "BOSSY"! ani_weightlift.gif

wayne from portland

AKA member

#77 West Australian

West Australian

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Oh well, you did your best.

Just try to forget the Obliviots, they are what they are.

It is all about the good winds and the good times.

WA

B Series Standard, Mid-Vent and Vented In a Hard Case.

Supersonic and 1.5 Ghost SUL too

#78 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

Wayne, let it go.  Most all of the folks who Lynn and I encounter on the beach are really nice, and are very willing to walk around, or stay back, however, once and a while you will run into that one person who will make your blood boil.  Let roll off, and just know that they don't or won't understand, and probably never will.

Remember......you are the one having a great time.  They are the Obliviot..

Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#79 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:38 AM

I am now perceived as "BOSSY"! ani_weightlift.gif

Phew, at least someone else recognizes that too, I thought it was just me! animal_rooster.gif

-Alden

"Don't go in there!" RC

#80 Adam

Adam

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

I had an issue last year at the kite festival in OC Marlyland where there were a few of us set up in the middle of the beach under some of the big infaltables, and we ahd been there all day flying. One of the lifeguards riding a fourwheeler drove into the flying area, and was warned to not continue due to the hazard in front of him. He ignored the warning and raced ahead, becomming ensnared by the lines to my kite. After 10 minutes of untangling the lifeguard and four wheeler from my lines, the lifeguard raced away without even a trace of an apology. I spent the next hour salvaging my lines.

The next morning it was rumored that a lifeguard was injured by a kiter, and I had to set the record straight.

That lifeguard was truly an obliviot.
"It was the wind Captain"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users