84 replies to this topic

#21 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

End of the day, we have to be more responsible than they are... We know more than they do.

It may be sad, but it's to be expected that people will be unaware (much of the world).

I watch my kites and lines more in trouble areas, try to pick my spot for parking kites with some forethought, and I make sure my flight paths illustrate what is going on in that area... Nothing like thumping into the ground 50 feet away from someone who is approaching my flight area, they don't tend to come too close after that.

Well said John and that is what I do alot of, scare them away....Ben :blue-cool: :blue-cool:

#22 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

Aye.

Another thing to remember, all it takes is ONE jerk who happens to have a seat or pull on the city council, then kite flying gets banned.

Again, we've got to be the bigger people, it's our responsibility, for everyone else's sake.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#23 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

but we want to chase 'em all the way back to their vehicles John! Tangle their darn dogs into the lines, bop the little ones

I know, I know, just one person can screw it up for the whole bunch of us,... Still I want to chase 'em so bad!

#24 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:28 AM

but we want to chase 'em all the way back to their vehicles John! Tangle their darn dogs into the lines, bop the little ones

I know, I know, just one person can screw it up for the whole bunch of us,... Still I want to chase 'em so bad!

I think you've hit on a new Rev Game. We could call it "The most Dangerous Rev Game"
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#25 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

Ya, I know what you mean. :)

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#26 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:50 AM

Aye.

Another thing to remember, all it takes is ONE jerk who happens to have a seat or pull on the city council, then kite flying gets banned.

Again, we've got to be the bigger people, it's our responsibility, for everyone else's sake.

Well said John.

On our home field (Dunstable Downs a local beauty spot) many of the regulars are quite kite aware and often stop to watch. Our biggest problem seems to be the toyshop kiteflyers constantly walking backwards in a vein attempt to keep 8s worth of plastic in the air.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#27 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

Another perspective... I never look at it as "problem spectators", just people who can potentially be educated. ;)

John Barresi

#28 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:37 AM

Another perspective... I never look at it as "problem spectators", just people who can potentially be educated. ;)

Spot on. The Education jargon here is "teachable moment". That's the constructive way of looking at the moment when things go wrong.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#29 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:42 AM

I've been having a problem with people walking their dogs unleashed at the park I like to fly lately (because the park isn't officially open yet). :/ Last time it was someone with 2 big dogs barking at my kite. Basically when they started to cross my path in the field, I put it up at the top of the window and let it hang there until everyone was bored and went away. :/ Obviously not what I wanted to do but it's better than having an incident.

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#30 RAWVEEDA

RAWVEEDA

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:44 AM

When you make something idiot-proof the world comes along and builds a better idiot. :)
Posted Image

#31 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:50 AM

When you make something idiot-proof the world comes along and builds a better idiot. :)

Excellent!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#32 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:23 AM

Perfectly stated.
This last Saturday I saw a few different classes of idiots. And while chasing them may not be the best thing to do, it's what I was doing. Testing the waters a little.
The look on the two young boys faces as they noticed the Rev in reverse following them across the field was pretty funny. Close enough that one spazzed and flung an arm out and smacked my kite. :P He got a load of crap from the other boy and friends at the park for it.
The mother and two kids who parked right under the kite. That was the best. Stayed within 5 feet of them the whole time with a few bicycle turns directly over their heads and then the youngest put his hand out. B) He obviously wasn't sticking it out there expecting a kite to land on it. He froze with a look of terror on his face and his mother soothed him while she tried not to pee herself from laughter.
Quite a few people came up to ask about Revs after that.

Dean

#33 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

I like that, I've put that one in my Quotations file.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#34 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

Leave it to Steve to come up with the line of the day!

With few exceptions I find most people don't realize what they've stumbled into and are mostly apologetic once you point out what to us is obvious but not so much to them. Once they're down field, approx 120 ft away, I generally get into a hover right over them and follow them away for a bit. It usually elicits a smile and a wave. B) ;) :P

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#35 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:49 PM

Hmmmm yup, boy I sure do like them moving targets.

#36 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

I don't know if it's just me, but a lot of people around here, really don't like it when I fly near them. I often like to follow close behind people while the jog along the side walk, but I have had many times where the person grabs the kite and throws it away with a very upset look on their face. They need to lighten up.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#37 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

Hello FRP's-

I can understand not seeing the lines... how many folks are looking down when they walk; especially if it's a nice day at a park or beach. So, we just have to kill them with kindness as we advise them of possible injuries (to our kites... ;) ).

QUESTION:

Myself, Rich, Scott and maybe six others were flying in a roped off section of the beach at Rockaway, last October. It was later in the afternoon, so it was well established what we were doing at this Kite Festival, all day. A middle aged gentleman proceeded past the ropes toward us. He literally walked right through Scott's kite that was parked. The kite flipped around as this guy walked right over the center of it. Amazingly, the guy NEVER broke his stride or slowed down at all. He kept walking never acknowledging us, apologizing, or anything.
The question: Would this person be considered an "OBLIVIOT" or a "SUPER IDIOT" Posted Image?
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#38 bobw

bobw

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

I don't know if it's just me, but a lot of people around here, really don't like it when I fly near them. I often like to follow close behind people while the jog along the side walk, but I have had many times where the person grabs the kite and throws it away with a very upset look on their face. They need to lighten up.

Sorry Watty. I disagree. Some people will be amused; some people will consider it an intrusion. Consider that old cliche of kids annoying each other by *nearly* touching each other ("stop touching me!!!!")

Takes all kinds, and well, I would be upset if my kite was damaged, but on the other hand, I'd say it was my fault for annoying some passer by.

#39 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

He literally walked right through Scott's kite that was parked. The kite flipped around as this guy walked right over the center of it. Amazingly, the guy NEVER broke his stride or slowed down at all. He kept walking never acknowledging us, apologizing, or anything.
The question: Would this person be considered an "OBLIVIOT" or a "SUPER IDIOT" Posted Image?

Had that been my kite he would have most likely been considered a statistic B)
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#40 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

Spence it might be the fact that your young, they probably get the impression you're being a punk you how people can stereotype without thinking.

Most of my Rev flying involves interaction with people, where I fly has a bike/walking path around the whole area and some actually get mad if I don't mess with them. One gentleman in his 70's will not pass unless I tipland on his hand multiple times :lol:

Once they get used to you it will change people have seen me playing with others and the next time they come by they expect me to mess with them, some days I can't even fly on my own it's spent interacting with passer by's :blink: Little kids are my favorite to mess with I can run them ragged all day and never stop laughing.

Then there are the dogs that love to hate my Rev B) but out of respect for antmans still healing wounds I won't go there.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users