54 replies to this topic

#21 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:31 AM

what is the gas that they use to fill the rods with?? are we turning our kites into balloons???
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#22 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:15 AM

Ben told me it was Biuric Light Lithium, which I have to admit I was not familiar with. ISTBC but I think the "light" indicates it is lighter than air (Like obviously dur!) hence its use in the silver bullet frame. I understand it is the same stuff that they use in the lithium energy saving light bulbs.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#23 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:45 AM

Its a good job you did'nt post that after 12 noon Jeremy :P ;)

Derek.

#24 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:49 AM

Oh, I did post it afte 1200. Doh!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#25 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:42 AM

Its a good job you did'nt post that after 12 noon Jeremy :P ;)

Derek.

It is still the day somewhere around the world!

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#26 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:57 AM

Still before noon in your neck of the woods John. Not that it is necessary of course. People think we are kidding about silver bullets, yet a simple search on the forum reveals Ben actually announced them officially way back at the beginning of February; at 0857GMT on the 11th February to be precise. He even described the tecnology, the dumping of the edges/leaches etc.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#27 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:57 AM

Flew with the Silver bullet Rods on Sunday.Winds around 2mph and upto 8mph.Flew with them in a 1.5 Eyes Masterpiece and Union Jack Masterpiece.

Have to say i like um.I passed the kite around and never let on the Silver Bullet rods wher in ther.The lads just presumed i had Race Frame as usual .I know its a bit SNEEKY,so sorry Kev,Rich and Dave G.None of the lads struggled in the low wind at all[3mph]max[5mph].The kite flew nice and looked well shaped
I flew the kite in a pairs routine with the eyes.The Rods performed aswell as the identical kite that had a Race Frame.Nobody commented or ther wasnt a hint of diffrence.

I Love the feel a Race Frame gives and the width of window/wind range they fly.Probably the best thing imho that Happened to spar construction so far.I havent flown in Higher winds as yet with the Silver Bullets,But Would Ya anyways.They realy have a nice shape and feel around 6mph/8mph and thats wher i would use them so far.A comparison with Race Frame i think isnt fair.Ther not pitch against the Race Frame,i think ther an ugrade against a 2wrap if you want a diffrent feel and shape on your leading edge.

One cautionary thought.The day before i wanted to fly with them.The winds wher 0mph to 20mph in the blink of an eye.I swopped from sedgewick rev 1[and JBs blue Fade] ,to sul,to std, then mid and gave up when i neaded a full vent 1,5, all in the same hour.Frank,a fellow flyer had set his 1.5 b series , for low wind and placed 2 Wrap in[pro use rod].He caught a gust while inverted and CRACK,the spar snapped at the point it meets the vertical.Which would be the point the Silver Bullets would be 2Wrapped.
This gives Race Rods the edge for me,but the Silver Bullets certainly are nice enough in a smooth beech wind.Infact ther staying in My Eyes i liked them so much.

So,in conclusion

On the Kewl Meter
A Very nice indeed 9/10 for me.Thers also a big hand for Ben who never stops trying to improve the sport.

BRIAN...

#28 Clin

Clin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:32 PM

Flew with the Silver bullet Rods on Sunday.Winds around 2mph and upto 8mph.Flew with them in a 1.5 Eyes Masterpiece and Union Jack Masterpiece.

Have to say i like um.I passed the kite around and never let on the Silver Bullet rods wher in ther.The lads just presumed i had Race Frame as usual .I know its a bit SNEEKY,so sorry Kev,Rich and Dave G.None of the lads struggled in the low wind at all[3mph]max[5mph].The kite flew nice and looked well shaped
I flew the kite in a pairs routine with the eyes.The Rods performed aswell as the identical kite that had a Race Frame.Nobody commented or ther wasnt a hint of diffrence.

I Love the feel a Race Frame gives and the width of window/wind range they fly.Probably the best thing imho that Happened to spar construction so far.I havent flown in Higher winds as yet with the Silver Bullets,But Would Ya anyways.They realy have a nice shape and feel around 6mph/8mph and thats wher i would use them so far.A comparison with Race Frame i think isnt fair.Ther not pitch against the Race Frame,i think ther an ugrade against a 2wrap if you want a diffrent feel and shape on your leading edge.

One cautionary thought.The day before i wanted to fly with them.The winds wher 0mph to 20mph in the blink of an eye.I swopped from sedgewick rev 1[and JBs blue Fade] ,to sul,to std, then mid and gave up when i neaded a full vent 1,5, all in the same hour.Frank,a fellow flyer had set his 1.5 b series , for low wind and placed 2 Wrap in[pro use rod].He caught a gust while inverted and CRACK,the spar snapped at the point it meets the vertical.Which would be the point the Silver Bullets would be 2Wrapped.
This gives Race Rods the edge for me,but the Silver Bullets certainly are nice enough in a smooth beech wind.Infact ther staying in My Eyes i liked them so much.

So,in conclusion

On the Kewl Meter
A Very nice indeed 9/10 for me.Thers also a big hand for Ben who never stops trying to improve the sport.

BRIAN...

Thanks for the insights Brian. I like the RR except for tip stabs and ground work. So much more wobbly compared to a straight 3wrap. Do you have any comments on the bullets with regards to this?

Cheers
Clin

#29 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for the insights Brian. I like the RR except for tip stabs and ground work. So much more wobbly compared to a straight 3wrap. Do you have any comments on the bullets with regards to this?

Cheers
Clin

Hi Clin,hope it helps
Never gave it a thought realy.I love tip stabbing with a Rev and cartwheels just touching the ground as i go.As ive usually got RR in and never had a problem,i just plain took the S/Bullets and did the same.They show no signs of wear[just looked..lol]or damage.Cant say i noticed a diffrence,but i wasnt looking for one.
Ile try it today and report back.Its a tough job,but someones gota doit ;)

Have a good day
BRIAN...

#30 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:29 PM

Rain has stopped play atm.Sods Law we call it.Everytime i reach for the Kite Bag,Rains cats and Dogs.

Will post back when weather is more agreeable,about August :) .

BRIAN...

#31 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:00 AM

Rain has stopped play atm.Sods Law we call it.Everytime i reach for the Kite Bag,Rains cats and Dogs.

Will post back when weather is more agreeable,about August :) .

BRIAN...

Hmmm, your post gives me pause. You and Deb flew over the midwest this past month. And, we've now had about 20 inches of rain since then. They say that's twice the normal rainfall. Only about 5% of the crops are in the ground ... want to fly on the beach, try out some of our farming fields. Do you think you might have spilled a little of your magic British moisture potion during your visit. A little more rain and I'll be reviewing the Ark plans.

$%^@$#%,
Tom

#32 mdilucca

mdilucca

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:30 AM

Hmmm, your post gives me pause. You and Deb flew over the midwest this past month. And, we've now had about 20 inches of rain since then. They say that's twice the normal rainfall. Only about 5% of the crops are in the ground ... want to fly on the beach, try out some of our farming fields. Do you think you might have spilled a little of your magic British moisture potion during your visit. A little more rain and I'll be reviewing the Ark plans.

$%^@$#%,
Tom

Hey the Silver Bullets float too :devil:

Cheers
Mario

Cheers

Mario

Island_quad_logoSmall_50_zps817bf301.jpg

#33 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:56 AM

I got to try these @ Ocean City they are pretty damn sweet, They may not be for everyone but they do have there place.

Definitely not for newbies, But once you get past the constant crashing into the ground they would be a good investment.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#34 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

I got to try these @ Ocean City they are pretty damn sweet, They may not be for everyone but they do have there place.

Definitely not for newbies, But once you get past the constant crashing into the ground they would be a good investment.

Definately,couldnt agree more with the above,ther kewl and have to be tried to be appreciated.Which i will this weekend.Again,and again,and again.......

Doubtfull that they float Mario,but they would be kewl enough to get a seat on Toms Arc anyways and wont have to...lol

Have A Cracking Weekend All

BRIAN...

#35 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:16 AM

Well i do like these Rods.Ive flown more and more with them and have no fears with them at all.Used in the usual flying styles.Ther Kewl.

No Nasties ive found.Perhaps it was the flip flops,sun,sea, and shorts that enhanced the vibe they gave last week.They did perform very well.Even on rough ground doing tip stands.

BRIAN...

#36 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:22 AM

i had a chance to try them in belmar.. i did like them alot but im still loveing the race rods the best
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#37 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

i had a chance to try them in belmar.. i did like them alot but im still loveing the race rods the best

Have to admit it pal.Race are my first choice to,but these do give a nice feel and have a place.Im pleased to have them.l

BRIAN...

#38 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:12 PM

Hi Brian-
How are you?
I've been flying with them and really do like the way they feel. I like that they don't flex quite as much as the Race Rods (which I do love). I've put a 3 wrap center in the Race frame and find that to be similar to the Silver Bullet- less flex. I'd have a hard time choosing one over the other; especially with the 3 wrap center. They both workd for me. Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth. B)
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#39 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:33 PM

Hi Brian-
How are you?
I've been flying with them and really do like the way they feel. I like that they don't flex quite as much as the Race Rods (which I do love). I've put a 3 wrap center in the Race frame and find that to be similar to the Silver Bullet- less flex. I'd have a hard time choosing one over the other; especially with the 3 wrap center. They both workd for me. Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth. B)

Hello DARLING,,, :) .We are all well.Hope your looking after Rich.I bet you have.Give Brad a kiss for his Birthday from me please
I to like the mix of race and 3 wrap.Also messed a little with a four wrap center and race outers.Which i also liked.

Had team session a few weeks ago now.With full four wrap and a full Race frame in the Leading edge.The winds wher wild for a few hours.It was like trying to stop a train in a dive stop.My thumbs ached for a few days after.Snapped a line in flight also.
Once i removed the 4 wrap and the wind dropped.The Race Frame was so nice and easy to appreciate.Quality.
The Silver Bullets are nice and a good alternative to have.

Have a great weekend

BRIAN...

#40 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:48 AM

Hello DARLING,,, :) .We are all well.Hope your looking after Rich.I bet you have.

<SNIP>
Have a great weekend

BRIAN...

Hey Bri........Hope you and the missus are fine!
Laura, as usual, is looking after all of us best she can. :wub: :wub: Tough job! :devil: :devil:

Jury out on the SB's. Will get a whole lot of flight time with them this weekend at WW but do concur on the mixed race frame set up for the above avg gusts.
But until then as it says below. Race frames and 120s, of course!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to see you "across the pond" folks sometime soon.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users