114 replies to this topic

#81 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

It's only the 360s that will be a real :censored: !!

You can always use the motorized Iquads to do the 360's :blink:

Now look what you've started ;)
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#82 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:17 PM

:lol: what were we yakin about?

I think just within this thread the ground work for how a comp should be put together has been established. For the most part. Still some collaboration needed to get everyone thinking the same thing. But it's there.
By the time theres enough interest and skill, it'll all be ironed out.

Dean

#83 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

You can always use the motorized Iquads to do the 360's :blink:

Now look what you've started ;)

Ohhhh, I forgot about those when I first looked up iQuad on youtube. :lol:

#84 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:41 AM

So to clarify, you're talking about mega team exhibitions when you say "collaborate", is this right?

While I'm all for continuing this progression as we've done over the past 12 months, the meat of this topic relates to competition, how to improve (or streamline) it and make it more appealing to the general public, as well as those fliers who have dropped out for any of the reasons brought up earlier in this topic.

For team exhibition collaboration, if I understand you right, may I propose a new topic area for this?

I suspect the the most interesting competition is between equally matched participants. The ability to convey that equal matching to an audience may be crucial.

If the competitors feel that they are on a level playing field, (everyone has an equal chance of succeeding/winning), they are more likely to enter with enthusiasm. Historically there were different tiers to accommodate this. What seems to be required is the means to get as many fliers up to a level of capability as quickly as is possible. It seems to me that mega team flying could have a place in this but I was not necessarily proposing formal presentations, just a means to an end <grins>.

#85 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:12 AM

Ha, retire? Quit flying?

Pffft, you better find something better to smoke. ;)

or both!!! :devil:

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#86 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:49 PM

Scott W, I just split your post about ODSKC to a separate thread under upcoming events...

http://www.revkites....?showtopic=2643

Wasn't directly relevant to this discussion, just trying to keep it on point. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#87 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:23 PM

And what was this one about? The discusion I mean. :P whoopin's??? :lol:

Dean B)

#88 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

it's about competition... Why it's dwindling, who wants to compete, and what we can do grow/improve the sport.

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#89 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

I can tell you this the last few festivals I've been to that didn't have competitions were much more fun overall. Seemed so for most as well.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#90 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:57 AM

it's about competition... Why it's dwindling, who wants to compete, and what we can do grow/improve the sport.

I knew what it was about. :P I was just being well, me I guess.

Compitition will come around in it's own time. It's a shame that it's apparently dead for the most part.

I know kiting was just something to do on a boring day till I got to see the competitive side of it. Then, kiting became a passion for me.

It'll get there again. Just hope it happens soon enough that I have a shot at being Champ. :lol:

Dean

#91 Scott A.

Scott A.

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:24 AM

Old Dominion , in Virginia, June 21st, will host what I believe to be the first NOVICE MULTILINE comp, for those interested.
Scott Weider
Team REV RIDERS

#92 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:30 AM

I'll be very interested to hear it works out, both with the number and satisfaction of participants. :)

John Barresi

#93 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:01 AM

I'll be very interested to hear it works out, both with the number and satisfaction of participants. :)

I just had an idea about competition which is slightly disingenious. Let us imagine a kite event where the judges are not identified and are looking at every aspect of kite flying, not just the disciplines say of four line kites.

Do we think that a sufficiently experienced panel of judges would be able to come up with a reasoned result at an event such as Berck Plage and identify the team/individual who has contributed in a major way to such an event.

I am thinking along the lines that within a particular discipline it may be possible to excel (given available resources) but that the ability to 'contribute' should also be taken into account.

Felix

#94 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:23 AM

I just had an idea about competition which is slightly "disingenious". ?

Do we think that a sufficiently experienced panel of judges would be able to come up with a reasoned result at an event such as Berck Plage and identify the team/individual who has contributed in a major way to such an event.

Yup, the panel of judges could be known as the "General Public" and the winners would be, without doubt, year in year out, the back room blokes who make such events happen.

#95 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:38 AM

Frankly, I feel the "contribute" concept is indeed unrelated, but definitely warrants it's own topic of discussion.

The vein of this thread is related to the mainstream competition concept.

John Barresi

#96 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:25 AM

Frankly, I feel the "contribute" concept is indeed unrelated, but definitely warrants it's own topic of discussion.

Quite so, but I am trying to figure out how to persuade an event organiser not to put on a mainstream competition next year as a justification to the money people for getting a whole lot of Rev teams flown in from around the world. <grins>

The justification, or otherwise of mainstream competition is a bit crucial but maybe it should go to e-mail for the time being.

Felix

#97 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:33 AM

Clearly understood, no debate there, even with regard to WSKC...

But on a regional level, I feel there is a place for traditional competition, provided it is streamlined a bit and reformatted to be more inviting for the public, which is possible given some rearrangement.

John Barresi

#98 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:50 AM

I don't see how the "contribution concept" can be unrelated from the future of any "mainstream competition" here in the UK or from the future of kite festivals either for that matter.
For events to succeed they do need a purpose, for many competetive events entertaining folk is a high priority if they wish to have a reasonable attendance.
The survival of certain events is dependant on income from those attending, just last weekend here at a small local event Martin Corrie a festival organiser was commenting on the uncertain future of the Rougham event (a STACK venue) due to poor public attendance, some festivals have already been cancelled here this year.

Poorly practiced half hearted displays of kite flying are not entertaining, things need to move on some if fliers or competition organisers have any hope of reviving interest in future competitive events, as can be quite clearly seen in this thread people see little fun in competeing, and as most of us only fly for fun it should be obvious the direction competition should have been heading in a while back if it were to retain any viability, pretty radical but people need to actually enjoy it.

New blood needed, restrictive rule books in the bin, three minutes to shine at freestyle,anything goes type of stuff with some energy and life about it and I will watch, folk all flying the same rule book figures, tedious, I aint interested, much like public event mega flys after about 8-10 minutes pack it in, leave folk wanting more not bored, people visibly aged during the Saturday mega fly at Bristol.
Fraser :P

#99 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:10 AM

Due respect always Bruce, but there's a different perspective when one has seen and been a part of successful competition events...

At one time, competitions were LOTS of fun, and drew a great deal of public interest.

As competition rules became more and more defined (over-defined if you ask me) and artistry was less rewarded, the overall appeal reduced... Coupled with the current economics of organizing and entering competitions, we're not running the same kind of competitions that we used to.

Many other factors at work of course (many of which I've mentioned in earlier posts), but these are some of the highlights.

Also, I don't see a future in converting existing formats to a contributory format... There is a place for traditional competitions, albeit revised somewhat.

As we've done since the beginning, I think they should be tried on their own merit as new events, by the people who believe in them.

Make no mistake, I'm not squashing discussion, merely trying to keep things from getting jumbled.

Hence, my push for a separate thread on the topic. ;)

John Barresi

#100 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:11 AM

<snip>
New blood needed, restrictive rule books in the bin, three minutes to shine at freestyle,anything goes type of stuff with some energy and life about it and I will watch, folk all flying the same rule book figures, tedious, I aint interested, much like public event mega flys after about 8-10 minutes pack it in, leave folk wanting more not bored, people visibly aged during the Saturday mega fly at Bristol.
Fraser

As I recall, the commentators at Bristol on the Saturday could not see that the kites were lined up and ready to go. They were 'side on' and carried on talking....

Eventually there was a wind shift which left the fliers on the left at the very edge of their wind window and with no where to go as the fliers on the right maintained their position, because they still could.

I received comments from many kite fliers after the Portsmouth/Bristol events along the lines of 'having seen our efforts they would dust off the Revs that they rarely flew and give it a go'! Seems to be one way to inspire more fliers.

I look forward to attending Rougham.

Felix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users