114 replies to this topic

#41 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

John, I love Carl as much as the next guy... But he had a broken ankle so as much as I'm sure he would have done a good job in Guadeloupe. And as unfortunate as it was I think not doing both was actually good for him. After all he got to spend more time at the pool and with his Mum.

Also if we opened it up further then James would have competed as well... aqn dwho know who else?

By the way does anyone have the scores on a web site?

I'll search for the scores. I am sure I have them somewhere, at least the final scores and possibly the judges scores

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#42 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:17 PM

Haven't seen the scores online anywhere, I think Kite Passion is only place I saw them published at all... Maybe AKM too.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#43 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

So is this thread taking anyone back to the glory days?
Does it make all ya old farts wanna come out and show us how it's done??
Would it help ya all unretire if us young or newwer competitors agree to take it easy on ya??? :lol:
Thats where the 3rd class would be useful. Quad line geriatric olympics???

You know I'm kidding right? Don't need to be knee capped by some old fart with a cane. Or run over with a walker. :lol:

Dean :devil:

#44 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

Haven't seen the scores online anywhere, I think Kite Passion is only place I saw them published at all... Maybe AKM too.

I have the quad scores including judges scores, however precision is only final scores. Ballet is broken down into execution and choreography. They look a bit odd, thus I understand a tiny bit more what Simon was saying about two different scores.
Judges scores where by a number not name. So, you can only guess which judge is which. I know very well which judge gave me far below average scores in ballet.

I do not have any team scores.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#45 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

So is this thread taking anyone back to the glory days?
Does it make all ya old farts wanna come out and show us how it's done??
Would it help ya all unretire if us young or newwer competitors agree to take it easy on ya??? :lol:
Thats where the 3rd class would be useful. Quad line geriatric olympics???

You know I'm kidding right? Don't need to be knee capped by some old fart with a cane. Or run over with a walker. :lol:

Dean :devil:

No takers huh??? :lol: come on.... I learn best when having it beat into me. Except saving 5 mph. For some reason I only got like maybe 3 at the time I need 5. I'm working on it though. JB gets it if he thinks about it. ;)
I don't have total control, I suck in light wind on SHORT lines..... recent quote, "If I let you keep it up, I won't have a kite to take home tonight." :lol: It was so hard to be serious hearing this. :P I've got this fire under my.... (beating around the bush) butt, that has got me flying everyday, rain, shine, snow, sleat, wind, no wind, work or not. :lol: Okay, as my family once called it obsessed. But it's good for me. Beaches are safer for my Rev's. No concrete or asphalt... for the most part... NO trees, hopefully. Think ya all would put on a great show and I'd learn something along the way. Ya all know you want to. Preasure, preasure.....

Dean B)

#46 Kite Krusader

Kite Krusader

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

Hello Everyone,I just returned home from West Chester, Ohio where I was a guest of the Airwaves Kite Festival. It was a wonderful event with plenty of wind and a lot of sun for this early in the year.While I was there I had a conversation with our Midwest Sportkite Conference Commissioner, Ann Vondriska. We discussed the issue of adding a Novice catagory to Multi-Line Ballet and Precision events. We both agreed to do a trial run at my competition events in June. On June 13 and 14 at the MI Kitefest and on June 27 and 28 at Warren Dunes Kitefest we will be including the Novice Multi-Line catagory.If you or anyone you know is a novice flier and would like to try out a competition please be in attendance at one of these events. We are excited to see what happens.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.Sincerely,Dave BushAKA Region 5 Director269-357-4032
http://www.back2thewind.com/
Your friendly neighborhood kite flyer.

Posted Image Posted Image

#47 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

Hello Everyone,I just returned home from West Chester, Ohio where I was a guest of the Airwaves Kite Festival. It was a wonderful event with plenty of wind and a lot of sun for this early in the year.While I was there I had a conversation with our Midwest Sportkite Conference Commissioner, Ann Vondriska. We discussed the issue of adding a Novice catagory to Multi-Line Ballet and Precision events. We both agreed to do a trial run at my competition events in June. On June 13 and 14 at the MI Kitefest and on June 27 and 28 at Warren Dunes Kitefest we will be including the Novice Multi-Line catagory.If you or anyone you know is a novice flier and would like to try out a competition please be in attendance at one of these events. We are excited to see what happens.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.Sincerely,Dave BushAKA Region 5 Director269-357-4032
http://www.back2thewind.com/

How are you going to run novice?

I would do 3 set figures followed by a ballet. More fun for flyers and people watching.

3 figures give you an element of precision without being boring, lets face it Novice is never that exciting.

Doing a ballet at least get the music on.

Now what figures are suitable fo Novice?

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#48 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

Aye, that's the MIX format approved by the IRBC... But it's been vetoed by the majority of the AKA Sport Kite Committee thus far.

While the IRBC may approve something for global use, every organization (AKA/STACK/IRBC) can make exceptions to the rules.

IRBC Rule book - http://www.worldsportkite.com/irbc.htm
AKA Appendix - http://aka.kite.org/...html#rule_books

Personally, I'd like to see all comps go to this format, as it would save TONS of time and make things more appealing for the general public.

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#49 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

Aye, that's the MIX format approved by the IRBC... But it's been vetoed by the majority of the AKA Sport Kite Committee thus far.

While the IRBC may approve something for global use, every organization (AKA/STACK/IRBC) can make exceptions to the rules.

IRBC Rule book - http://www.worldsportkite.com/irbc.htm
AKA Appendix - http://aka.kite.org/...html#rule_books

Personally, I'd like to see all comps go to this format, as it would save TONS of time and make things more appealing for the general public.

Agree John, this really works well and STACK UK were using this back in early 90's, to good effect to introduce new disciplines like this,(Novice Quad) so its an ideal choice.

Does the AKA have vito over all events? Or could an event run an unsanctioned event using this format to demonstrate its viability?

Also depending on the number of active competitors, could they lobby AKA. After all the flyers are the important ones not AKA(STACK, AJSKA) if we leave what do they have?

Full precision coudl still be used for "National title" events

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#50 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:34 AM

To be an AKA-ranked event (i.e. regional/national points towards the AKA championships), I believe the AKA rules need to be used.

However, it is also possible to receive AKA-sanctioning (i.e. insurance, etc) and run a comp of your own design (such as Tricks Party), as long as it's safe and in good taste. ;)

John Barresi

#51 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

To be an AKA-ranked event (i.e. regional/national points towards the AKA championships), I believe the AKA rules need to be used.

However, it is also possible to receive AKA-sanctioning (i.e. insurance, etc) and run a comp of your own design (such as Tricks Party), as long as it's safe and in good taste. ;)

So there would be no problem having it under the second option as most Novices might not be too worried about National points? Or do they look for those in the Novice ranks in the US?

If I compete in Novice non sanctioned in 2009, can I then compete in experienced sanctioned 2010?

That as a flyer I might need to consider?

In the UK an event for quad could be called a Rev event as no one really competes with anything other than a Rev. Could a novice series be created called the Revolution cup? It could be used like a one make series in racing cars to help bring on new flyers. MIX format like you say, and as a prize for the overall winner, maybe something like a B Pro?

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#52 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

How many comps are here on the west coast?
Mr. Barresi? will you fly novice if it happens? Fly one handed?
I will now admit, that just flying within 240 feet of *cough, cough* intimidates me and I really do suck.
Don't know why, but he has this control killing ability.
Need to get over it. So come fly one handed and take a few whoopings so I can get over myself. :lol:

Dean

#53 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

NW comp schedule... http://nwskl.org/events.htm

Doesn't look like any outdoor comps are on the docket, very strange.

Surely this goes back to what I'm saying... Why blow $300 to attend an event, all to spend 30 minutes in the air and take home a paper certificate that says you beat 5 other people?

MIX format, PLEASE.

John Barresi

#54 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

I can agree with the money thing with money being so scarce. At least for my family anyway.
I guess I wasn't thinking about that part.

I was thinking about the self gratification. A sense of accomplishment through hard work, recognized by your peers....
How do the walls and shelves just inside your door make you feel? Personally I mean. How does it feel to be recognized as one of the best at what you do? Would you be where you are in the kiting world without competing?

I'm not saying my goal is fame and fortune. I just miss being able to compare my skills on a given day against others. Thats just the kinda person I have always been. It's a hard thing to change for me. I know I come off arrogant, but what it is, is just my way of getting over being shy and withdrawn and to show my desire to learn by challenging a person to put me in my place in flying. I guess I'm not really worried about being better, but equal.

Dean

#55 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

For me, competition has been very gratifying...

But I came up through a different era, and actually got trophies and cups, which they just don't give out any more due to costs... Now it's all ribbons and paper certificates, and the competition is much weaker... Back in the day, it was a shoot out between 10-15 different pilots, and now, it's usually two top guns duking it out, or one severely dominant pilot.

In 2005, 2006 and 2007, I was whipping masters multiline by 10-15 points each outing... That's not gratifying at all.

The only place where you see anything even close to that level these days is at AKA Nationals, end of the year.

Novice and Experienced is a bit more balanced, but imho, true "masters" pilots are far and fewer between these days.

In 2007, I had 126 top three awards... Competing in 10-14 categories per event, taking 1-3 in each... Got old.

I've got boxes and boxes of plaques, ribbons, etc, all in my closet... The only stuff on my shelf now is national championship awards.

I'm not trying to sound cheeky here, it's just my perspective, coming from 18 years of competition experience, having seen a great deal more than most of the people on any kite forum.

John Barresi

#56 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:43 PM

For me, competition has been very gratifying...

But I came up through a different era, and actually got trophies and cups, which they just don't give out any more due to costs... Now it's all ribbons and paper certificates, and the competition is much weaker... Back in the day, it was a shoot out between 10-15 different pilots, and now, it's usually two top guns duking it out, or one severely dominant pilot.

In 2005, 2006 and 2007, I was whipping masters multiline by 10-15 points each outing... That's not gratifying at all.

The only place where you see anything even close to that level these days is at AKA Nationals, end of the year.

Novice and Experienced is a bit more balanced, but imho, true "masters" pilots are far and fewer between these days.

In 2007, I had 126 top three awards... Competing in 10-14 categories per event, taking 1-3 in each... Got old.

I've got boxes and boxes of plaques, ribbons, etc, all in my closet... The only stuff on my shelf now is national championship awards.

I'm not trying to sound cheeky here, it's just my perspective, coming from 18 years of competition experience, having seen a great deal more than most of the people on any kite forum.

Hi John,

doesnt sound cheeky.

But unfortunately its the truth, I too grew up competing in another era. I have boxes of cups & plaques, but then when The Flying Squad developed we dominated so much that after a very short time we had won everything. It was partly as a result of this we moved more to demo. We also agreed with The Decorators in that you have more freedom to expand what you do outside of competition.

Competition will come around again it goes in cycles.

PS the only trophy on display, is the one at the bottom of this page http://www.theflying.../membership.htm My son's first International Invite - Valencia 2004 :)

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#57 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:20 AM

<snip>

We also agreed with The Decorators in that you have more freedom to expand what you do outside of competition.

<snip>

I am very interested, especially after Portsmouth/Bristol last year, to see what can be done with collaboration as opposed to competition.

In the current environment I think that it is a concept (collaboration that is) that should be pursued in considerable detail. Consider the format of collaborative events. Set the agenda, the rules... get my drift?

Felix

#58 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:59 AM

I get your drift in spades Felix, which is why I'm entirely focused on clinics, iQuad, Kitelife, etc as of late...

We're able to reach WAY more people outside the confines of competition.

I've said for years, you can't readily make new competitors from non-fliers, but you can make new fliers.

John Barresi

#59 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:03 AM

I get your drift in spades Felix, which is why I'm entirely focused on clinics, iQuad, Kitelife, etc as of late...

We're able to reach WAY more people outside the confines of competition.

I've said for years, you can't readily make new competitors from non-fliers, but you can make new fliers.

I was thinking about the structure of an event where say 20 or 30 Rev fliers turned up. Some may be in formal teams, others may be 'individual' fliers. At Portsmouth/Bristol the lead fell to certain individuals and there was some question as to the level of control that was required in order to 'pull it off'. From a practical point of view I do think that it would be advantageous to discuss the rules of engagement further. However, I am not personally going to push it but will look forward to seeing how everyone gets together as at Berck, Rougham etc. in the near future.

Dare I ask, who is going to be at Berck? Do we have 36 on the second weekend?

Felix

#60 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

Thank you JB for that insight. Again I wasn't really looking at the big picture.
So the goal is to get as many people flying Revs and having FUN as possible. Skill levels and competitive fliers will come about in they're own time.

If I was to compete, I would rather have a whole class to compete against. Not just a couple or one to aim to beat.
So thank you again JB for setting me strait.

That doesn't mean I'm not going to struggle to get at least close to your level of skill and showmanship ;)
You (JB) started my kiting obsession way back when. :P The goal of mine is still the same with a small tweak. Equal or able to hang is good enough B)

If not sooner, I'll see ya at the clinic. Hopefully with a little better luck than the last time we flew ;)

Dean

Ever thought about a street flying clinic???? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users