480 replies to this topic

#341 brad

brad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

Live from wsikf. 64 revs in the air at once in the mega fly ;)

#342 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

OK Folks... Straight from Theresa at WSIKF... Under perfect blue skies...

WORLD RECORD MEGA FLY! :cup_1st:
64!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE PARTICIPANTS! :clap;
...And to all of us who were rooting for them and join in the celebration! :mf_party:
THANKS to Theresa for the update!
She stated... photos will follow!

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#343 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:39 PM

AWESOME
Congrats to all 64 of you!

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#344 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:42 PM

WOW!!

I can hardly wait to see the pictures/video!!!

Bart

#345 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:46 PM

I'm kinda disappointed seeing as half the iPhones on the American market are probably as WSIKF this weekend there is nothing posted here yet.

There was more up to the minute coverage from Columbia on facebook.

Congrats on the 64 mega fly B)
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#346 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:10 PM

:big_blowup:

It would have been 65, but I had to leave last night around midnight. I've got stuff comin' outta both ends. I knew something was off yesterday morning. Besides being the 5th one one the field waaaayyyy before iQuad showed up :devil: Figures, I'll find some way of missing all the good stuff. <crying>

Dean :(

Congrats all ya all. Sorry I had to bail :(

#347 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:19 PM

Hi Watty,

Gather from some of the other post stat this was all in a line, how come you didn't use theh grid. means you can fly some really nice figures and shapes.

Out of curiosity what did the 50fly?

Yes, we were in the grid. We were only in a line for John to determine which fliers would be where in the grid. New fliers, or those who were not comfortable in the center were put at the edges or on the bottom where they could easily make an escape.

All went well. John is a great leader.

Thanks, John.

Edited by Jim Foster, 22 August 2009 - 07:23 PM.

Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#348 CobraGeek

CobraGeek
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

I (and the family) spent the day up there. Lolly gave me a great lesson and the opportunity to try out a Rev. I got to meet and chat with John for a few minutes. I witnessed the 64 megafly. And thoroughly enjoyed watching iQuad. Those guys are amazing.
Thanks for the great day!
-Bret

#349 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

Bear in mind the count of 64 is an unofficial count. Pictures will be looked at to determine the exact amount, and it will be including only those that were actually in formation and in the sky.

But today we had fantastic weather, but we had to move and pack up some kites early before the tide engulfed them. O.o

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#350 jimfielder

jimfielder

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

The last name I saw on the list of flyers had the #65 by the name. :) I will wait til confirmation form photo documentation, 64 works for me!
Really a terrific day.
My wife is teacher and remarked that JB was patient and wise as he worked the the group and made the calls for the record.
Wonderful WSIKF this year, the weather has been great the last two days.
This is our 7th year here and definitely on of the best.
Congrats to JB, iQuad, Lolly and Ben for making Rev one of the best things on the beach. ;)
iQuad was truely the buzz on the beach. B)
See ya there next year.

Edited by jimfielder, 22 August 2009 - 10:16 PM.

#351 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

To be clear, we did indeed have an unconfirmed 64 Revs (ascension participants) in the sky... However, I think it's only fair to count the kites we actually had in a reasonably recognizable grid formation and managed to thread across the sky... For this, as Watty stated, we'll need to wait on photo and video counts to determine what we actually accomplished today.

Regardless, it was truly amazing to see... All respect to the record set in Bristol (54) which iQuad was proud to be part of, doing concentric rings going in alternating directions, that group was composed heavily of experienced team fliers whereas our group this past week has been made up primarily of individual pilots, many of them had never flown together, and more than a dozen who are very, very new to Rev flying in general.

Word on the street says local shops sold a lot of Revs to first time fliers who got turned on at WSIKF this year. :)

Our group fully overlapped the 350'x350' field we had available to us, proving clearly that we'll need to move the whole iQuad and mega team area to the south end of the festival next year... No doubt we'll be seeing 20-30 additional pilots next year, and we'll likely start off stretched out from dune to sea, the whole width of the beach.

This week has taught me a lot about organizing and working with large mega flies, I really can't wait for the next attempt, wherever.

Thanks for the kudos, but I was just one component of an amazing group accomplishment...

My hats off to all the Rev pilots who gave their all, showing incredible patience with the whole process, and with my learning curve.

If anyone has pics or video of Saturday's grid, please let me know how to find it! :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#352 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

Awesome work everyone :clap; :clap; :clap;

Wish I could have been there to watch from the car park :lol:

#353 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:13 PM

According to Rumors Dean is the American Jonesey for this event, Seems like a almost mega fly club forming ;)
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#354 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:15 AM

To be clear, we did indeed have an unconfirmed 64 Revs (ascension participants) in the sky...
<snip>
If anyone has pics or video of Saturday's grid, please let me know how to find it! :)

Great work John and all the fliers.

I am looking forward to seeing pics...

Felix

#355 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:56 AM

Oh Jonesey, you made me laugh this morning!!

Thanks mate,
Tom

#356 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:46 AM

It would have been 65, but I had to leave last night around midnight. <snip>

Dean,

Have you got Berck pencilled in for next year?

Felix

#357 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:59 AM

Yes, we were in the grid. We were only in a line for John to determine which fliers would be where in the grid. New fliers, or those who were not comfortable in the center were put at the edges or on the bottom where they could easily make an escape.

All went well. John is a great leader.

Thanks, John.

Cool Jim,

Oh to have so much space to set up. Must really help. Bet everyone had a blast !!

Sounds like some really good work by JB to get everyone organised by skill level to. It sgood to see how experience is being shared at all these MEGA flys. Lets face it we need a new name for these as a few years back 10 was a mega fly :) now were doing between 3 & 5 times that :)

Would love to come over for next years WSIKF

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#358 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:25 AM

Cool Jim,

Oh to have so much space to set up. Must really help. Bet everyone had a blast !!

Sounds like some really good work by JB to get everyone organised by skill level to. It sgood to see how experience is being shared at all these MEGA flys. Lets face it we need a new name for these as a few years back 10 was a mega fly now were doing between 3 & 5 times that

Would love to come over for next years WSIKF

350ft x 350ft sounds OK if there were 4 groups of 16 or maybe (in my dreams) 4 groups of 25!

I think that there is plenty of space at Berck-Plage compared to Long Beach WA.

I dare not enquire how Gérard is getting along with preparations for 2010 and whether he will be able to get some of the Japanese teams over to swell the numbers of 'fully experienced' team fliers. However, the fact that c64 has been achieved with 'not fully experienced fliers' bears out some of my initial thoughts about the Revolution Mega Team project. 'It should be easy to do given that each flier is in the middle of their wind window' or some such 'platitude'.

Of course, I am delighted to see any development of the concept... <grins>

Felix

#359 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:41 AM

According to Rumors Dean is the American Jonesey for this event, Seems like a almost mega fly club forming ;)

In thinking about it that way, yea, I'm this side of the ponds Jonesey. Wish I had been in the car park eatting cake instead of hover owning clockwork over a toilet for 2 days :blushing:
Did manage to get a couple of hours of flying on 120's over a small pond on flat firm sand in 1 mph or less of wind ;)
When Steve D handed me his Zen for a couple of minutes I thought, it fly's but the center of the LE is a little too stiff.
:lol: His reply was, "it's only .25 mph of wind right now." :lol:
I was trying to fly it within the Rev park. All those lines around my feet made moving a bit difficult. Before I could ask Steve to take it out where I was flying before I started feeling, off :blushing:

Dean,

Have you got Berck pencilled in for next year?

Felix

Felix, if ya all get a pool or something going to get me there and back, a small spot on a floor when I pass out from exhaustion and maybe a 120 foot or shorter leash to keep me attached to your hip (like I wouldn't be stuck there anyway) then I'll get the days off from work put in now. :)

While I'm thinking about this, EVERYONE give Terry W of Island Quad a HUGE round of applause. He noticed something was a little off with me and my flying and did all he could fix it. Then he made damn sure I could make it home since I came up to WSIKF with enough gas to get there but only a prayer to get home again.
Thank you Terry, you are an example of what a true friend and fellow Rev flier is and should be. :wub:

Dean

#360 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

<snip>

Dean,

Sorry to finally understand that you were unwell...

I do not know what the funding situation will be for Berck but it may be a first 'once in a lifetime' opportunity.

Best wishes

Felix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users