New member q's

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JeffD

JeffD
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:17 AM

Bought rev1 about 1990 broke a spar and bagged it for close to 17 years while I persued duals.

Accidently ran into John B at Albuquerque Ballon Park during kta show couple ofyears or so ago. He gave me a few min on the new B and inspired me to have another go.

Bought a 1,5 sul. Wanted light as possible as winds are hundreds of miles inland, in shadow of mountains, parks a basin and altitude is 5200 feet. Like that old blues song,
if it wasn't for bad winds I wouldn't have no winds at all.

Circumstances led to almost no flying next couple of years.

Circumstamces recently improved.
Got out the old rev 1 - compliments to Rev - it looked good as when it went in the bag 'bout 17 years earler. No fade or bleed, stitching fine. Changed to new bridle (thanks AWOC for considerate help). Even enjoying the wing wrap effect as point of learning sail loading control.

High winds 8 - 25 flying the 4 wrap 1. With the 4 wrap it needs some wind to maintain lift at my altitude. Control can be rough. < 10 the sul. It was a great choice for that.

No funds available for more kite buys and so thinking I'm
going to try and make a trade on another forum Swap. Have several high quality duals Mamba, XRT UL, KFX UL, all in qood shape (no holes, rips, heavy use, mods) with no time to fly. Concentrating on other duals. One of my lifes better problems.

Want a rev as I've come to prefer them for 10mph + winds.
Also really enjoy switching between duals and revs.

Thinking of trying to trade one for B mid vent. Seems more likely thought I'd have better luck finding a standard B or full vent.

I'm ideally wanting a B mid-vent with RR. Hours lurking convince me its my best choice for about 8 - 15 and then throw in some p series or the 2 wrap. Biggest issue is reported smoothing winds without to much power loss. Exactly what I want.

Very rough winds. Feel concerned full vent would be often underpowered with the on/off/switching/swirling/ground sucking (an actual creature virtually invisable lifts its wide sucker mouth from the ground trying to lunch on unsuspecting kites -this is not a crash but an actual ground attack - hasn't been reported in tv/ papers as the Travel Bureau doesn't want to scare parents of soccer playing kids) /gusting winds.

100 ft of line and I feel like I'm flying in three time zones.

Finally, my questions;

1. Do you think a full vent would be underpowered/mushy with such inconsistant and high altitude condidions?

2. Could I get a standard B and do hot cut holes for mid vent effect. Is the mid vent in the position of the outer closed vent on the standard?

3. Also considering a SS Vent but if offered a non-vent what do you think of adding holes. I'll persue advice of hole placement if it happens for either. Also holes vs vents.

4.. Considering a standard sle I can hole vent but don't want sle rod and would need more to work out fair exchange. Same question re standard sle vent as the B vent and concerns of underpower in gusty on/off winds.

Want to close first post with thanks especially to JohnB & Rev and all for much enjoyable and enlightening info. Haven't been able to make an event in last five years since WISKF(sp?) & KP2 but I keep a good thought. Yearn for sea level, lab wind and other kiters. Forums are my virtual kite life.

JeffD
Thanks for and advice.

#2 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:40 AM

Hey Jeff, welcome.

1, you might find a full vent a problem to fly in your winds, however with Race Rods you might get away with it. You are right in thinking the venting tends to smooth the winds out.

2, you could cut holes in a standard B, bit of a shame though. if you do decide to be drastic there are many posts on here with reference to hole cutting (venting)

3, SS vent is still FAST but with little pull. once again not sure about the hot cut holes, although many have had good results with 1.5's

4, would rather see a SLE or EXP have holes cut in it than a B, you can often find a SLE kite that has had the 1/4" rods put in it. you might find exactly what you need in your swap, best of luck.

I often fly a mid vent or vent with race rods over choosing a full sail. I can understand why you are going for venting with your winds.

I have never flown at altitude, my answers are from what I find, wind wise. Gusty winds I am always glad I have a vente of some sort up.

As far as hot cutting, go careful, cut then try, cut then try. Bigger holes can make a difference verses little holes.

Best of luck with your Wind Monster.

#3 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

2. Could I get a standard B and do hot cut holes for mid vent effect. Is the mid vent in the position of the outer closed vent on the standard?

hello Jeff

So many interesting things to consider....

But to answer question #2: the mid vent mesh is in the same position as the outer grey closed panel on the standard sail.

Ohhhh now this could be an interesting project, hot cutting the outer grey panel and sewing a mesh screen in its place
to tranform a standard into a mid vent.

Not that I need to... but it should be possible.
Some people even velcro the grey outer panel back in place to make it a standard sail again.
So you don't waste anything. But not sure what the weight will do in your squirrelling winds.

Hot cutting is addictive once you get over the initial nerves ;)

An example of hot cutting before and after
1 of the 47.

#4 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:10 AM

The full vent Rev will fly in winds from 10mph on up to around 30. IMO anything above or below that begins to be less fun and more work so I don't really recommend it. You can change out the Vented rods to the race rods and such and possibly get the full vent down in the 6-8 mph range but only if the winds are pretty consistent and smooth....it depends on your actual flying skills as well. For me personally, I would rather fly a standard sail in those winds instead of a vented.

Now, if your winds are above the 10 mph mark then the full vent would be perfect, especially if your winds are varying from 10 mph minimum to 20-25 mph with gusts. If your winds are usually staying between 8-10 to 15ish then the Mid Vent might be the best choice for you.

The Sonic is fast. Most compare it to a bumble bee on red bull and steroids! The Vented is just about as fast as the standard but doesn't have near the pull. My personal preference is to fly the Sonic in winds starting around 10 mph and up. It will fly in light winds and floats very well but again, I would rather fly the standard in those winds instead of the Sonic. Everyone has different tastes and flying styles so what I prefer may be different than what you or others may enjoy but I hope this information helps you decide which way you would like to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users