42 replies to this topic

#21 Ant-

Ant-

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:06 AM

I bought my first Rev whilst convalesing from a leg op that put me out of power kiting for a summer - It really helped with that - just enough gentle exercise to get me mending quickly. But ultimately the mental benefits far outweigh that - I can totally zone out form all of life's problems whilst I'm flying!

Ant

#22 Revkitedancer

Revkitedancer
  • Forum Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:15 AM

It's great exercise, indoors and out. Mentally and physically. Now can I get a note for my Doctor and write it off on my insurance? BB Penny :)

#23 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:04 PM

well its working for me so far i lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#24 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

well its working for me so far i lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks

wow!

I've got my rev-legs back ;)
1 of the 47.

#25 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:57 PM

Hi all, I'm curious to hear back...

1. Has Rev flying been therapeutic to you, with regard to existing injuries or health issues?

2. Have you found Rev flying provides you with beneficial calasthenics or exercise?

I just noticed this thread, so had to reply, as I've mentioned it in my latest post HERE ...

In 2004 I was in an auto accident. I ended up with pretty serious spine and nerve injuries out of it. I have also been diagnosed with fibro myalgia and have some arthritis in my neck, elbows and shoulders. I was pretty much set on having to take huge amounts of pain meds (15mg of oxycodone 4x a day is pretty extensive.) and physical therapy for the rest of my life. I'm also a whiner. I hate just about everything and everyone...lol (I'm the non paid version of Lewis Black.) I spent almost all my time sitting in front of a computer, or laying in bed.

In July of 2008, my wife (my better 3/4) and I happened across the only kite shop in Alaska and I bought a prism Quantum dual line kite. I fought long and hard to learn how to get that thing in the air, let alone fly it, as the launching of a dual line kite is the one movement I just can't do without causing extreme pain.

During our search for new kites, my wife happened across a demo video for the rev. We were, understandably, quite in awe, and I made the decision to nab one of those weird kites, which we did in September.

I have been sitting out with my now various 1.5 revs since then. Just about every day...just about all day. Rain or shine, 70 degrees or -35 degrees. I am now the president of AlasKiters, (the state kite club) and have gotten pretty decent with the rev, though we're limited on people coming to our events from outside the state, so I think I've gotten as far as I'm going to get as far as tricking goes. We have been the reason that many people up here have bought revs. The store has a couple, but none of the people there really fly them much. We are now begining to start a rev team, even if we only have a few people anywhere near as obsessed with them as I am.

At the time we got our first revs, I was going to phyiscal therapy 3 times a week and weighed 352 pounds, along with the pain meds...

I no longer need the physical therapy, because flying the revs is pretty much the exact same movements. I weigh, today, 246 pounds, and I have cut my pain meds in half.

I know this might sound sappy, or even tacky to some, but to me, the revs have saved my life. My better 3/4 complains that I stay out flying too much, and I complain that she doesn't come out enough, but overall it has been a good thing.

The only thing missing is a TENS unit powered by my rev... :P

--TaK

Edited by SynTaks, 08 June 2010 - 03:01 PM.

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

There's two of us crazies here.... which one is this?
He's into the B series, choreography and coloring.
She's into a bridleless SUL and skiing with a Blast.

#26 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

TaK - thanks for sharing a great personal story so well.

Physically, I have only minor arthritis in lower back and neck. It dissolves from consciousness whenever I am doing something I enjoy. Flying duals and quads both qualify (until I bend over to dismantle the kite after a session). I always try to fly to music, both to relax me and to give me a target to fly to.

I have been concentrating on quad flying - my challenge and chosen goal. It is fun, amazing, and satisfying to see some progress.

But I recently discovered that flying a dual, approaching sunset, with music, is the most relaxing activity in my world. It is the most mentally therapeutic thing I do. Surprisingly, after a year of very little dual, almost all quad air time, I find my timing and confidence with a dual line is improved. So, I believe quad line flying improves one's reflexes in ways that spill over into other areas.
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#27 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

HAVE TO ADD MY OWN TWO CENTS WORTH!! Had BOTH HIPS REPLACED A YEAR AND A HALF AGO!! Suffered A STROKE 10 YEARS AGO!! Still flying!! Before hip replacement walking on loose sand wasn't any fun, but now there is no stopping me!! Flying is so relaxing, and time just goes by so effortlessly. Quads, duals, it all works, just don't give up!! You may learn to be a better flyer in the bargain!! Flying is supposed to be fun, not work!! Enjoy!!!:blue_wink:

Edited by stroke victim, 28 June 2010 - 11:02 PM.

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#28 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:09 AM

It dissolves from consciousness whenever I am doing something I enjoy.

Funny, my husband says the same thing about me -- that I can be in bad pain for weeks leading up to a festival, and for weeks afterward, but while I'm there, I seem fine.

I have psoriatic arthritis that affects my legs, back, neck, sacro-iliac joints, shoulders, and on, and on. Huge quantities of drugs (NSAIDs, tumor necrosis factor inhibitors, etc) generally keep it in check, but there's no question that kiting helps keep me more limber and generally in better physical condition.

#29 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

Hi JB and everyone on the forum,

It's been ages since i posted but i continue to lurk on the forum from time to time and still fly my rev(s) whenever i get chance.

Some of you know my story, in 2008 i was diagnosed with cancer, Non-hodgkin Lymphoma, and whilst i craved being out in the fresh air and running and cycling, flying my rev was the thing that got me through 6 months of chemo. We're incredibly lucky to live by the beach and on days where i felt like i'd been given a gallon of weedkiller to drink, getting out and flying was the thing that cleared my head, and body, ready for the next onslaught of chemo. Plugging in to my ipod and flying for a couple of hours did wonders for my mental health during that time.

Now i'm in remission and training for my second triathlon having completed a half marathon, 140 mile charity bike ride, bungee jump and about to complete the 15 Snowdonia peaks above 3000 ft all for charity, but i will always value the joy that flying rev's gave me during that time and still give me, but above all it was this amazing community of people that gave me love and hope at a really crucial time in my recovery. All this is probably why i've not been so active on the forum!!!

Love to the family,

Martin
www.marti-thon2010.blogspot.com
Thinking about a stack . . .

For life outside of kiting please read my Lymphoma Charity Blog:
http://www.marti-tho...0.blogspot.com/

#30 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

Hi JB and everyone on the forum,

It's been ages since i posted but i continue to lurk on the forum from time to time and still fly my rev(s) whenever i get chance.

Some of you know my story, in 2008 i was diagnosed with cancer, Non-hodgkin Lymphoma, and whilst i craved being out in the fresh air and running and cycling, flying my rev was the thing that got me through 6 months of chemo. We're incredibly lucky to live by the beach and on days where i felt like i'd been given a gallon of weedkiller to drink, getting out and flying was the thing that cleared my head, and body, ready for the next onslaught of chemo. Plugging in to my ipod and flying for a couple of hours did wonders for my mental health during that time.

Now i'm in remission and training for my second triathlon having completed a half marathon, 140 mile charity bike ride, bungee jump and about to complete the 15 Snowdonia peaks above 3000 ft all for charity, but i will always value the joy that flying rev's gave me during that time and still give me, but above all it was this amazing community of people that gave me love and hope at a really crucial time in my recovery. All this is probably why i've not been so active on the forum!!!

Love to the family,

Martin
www.marti-thon2010.blogspot.com

Way to go!!! Kite flying is soooo soul - soothing! Coming back to kiting has re-invigorated me and given me another outlet for all the energy inside! :) It's good thing!!:blue-grin:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#31 JasonOsteo

JasonOsteo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:43 AM

Wow, I know this is an old thread, but thought I would put my two penneth in.

I'm a registered UK Osteopath (bit different to a US osteopathic practitioner). As an Osteopath I see my patients as a 'unit of mind, body and spirit', each one effects the other in some way. Rev flying, and kite flying in general, I see as an excellent activity.

Physically you are moving continuously, something we don't really do in modern life, improving circulation and the efficiency of the immune system (as well as core strength). This in turn improves cerebral function, both through circulatory improvement and the splitting of the normal 'balance' mechanisms - your eyes are not always held on the horizon or kept level, leaving the sensory nerves in your joints to take the bulk of balance duties. The hormonal changes brought about by an increased level of physical activity improve your emotional state, as well as the inevitable distraction of keeping 200 of washing and sticks in the air.

I now have a couple of patients I am considering taking flying to help with their health. Incidentally, psoriatic arthritis and polymyalgia are two of the things I hope to help.
People are like Slinkys. Basically useless but fun to watch falling down stairs.

#32 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:57 AM

Very interesting Jason, would love to hear more about flying patients... Would be intriguing to see such a study.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#33 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:44 AM

Hi all, I'm curious to hear back...

1. Has Rev flying been therapeutic to you, with regard to existing injuries or health issues?

2. Have you found Rev flying provides you with beneficial calasthenics or exercise?

Yes, and Yes!

Will be able to do this for my entire life unlike skiing (now forbidden). Add music and it's a dance workout :blue-music: :blue-love:

Cath
cath@flyingsmileskites.com
www.FlyingSmilesKites.com
252-453-8442

Come see us at Flying Smiles Kites when you're on the Outer Banks of NC!

Kites make me smile ... Revs make me grin!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

#34 windpoacher

windpoacher

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:27 AM

YES!! For my Mental Being!!!, As Balloo said...Inner Peace!!!........And Plenty of it!!!.........Can't get enough of it!!!
Although!! Every little bit Help's!! And That Little bit Goes a Long way!!!

It is nice to hear that Rev Flying has Helped others with Injuries, and Difficult Health Issues!!!
Conner doran's story---for example, Is Awesome, and Motivational, to say the least!!!
My heart goes out to all who ,Must deal with these Obsticals in their live's.........
If ANY , Right Now ...............GET WELL SOON............and GET THE REV UP!!!!..........Posted Image

Joy will come with the Morning Sun!!!!.....and God Bless the WIND!!!Posted Image

..........................W I N D P O A C H E R..........................
...........................thank god for wind..........................
............................thank him often..........................

#35 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

Yes on all counts.

My dad's shoulders started giving him trouble as he got older. Unfortunately, I have his shoulders, so a number of years ago they started giving me trouble. Lynn and I usually fly together 10-20 hours a week. If the weather is bad, or for some some other reason we don't get to fly for a week or so, my shoulders begin to bother me.

I'm sure that I could start some exercise program to keep my shoulders out of pain, but the Rev flying does the trick, and is so much more fun.

And no, I have never mentioned it to my doctor as trying to make him understand about Rev (kite) flying would surely be a lost cause.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#36 JasonOsteo

JasonOsteo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

Yep, my shoulders aren't too good either and it helps a lot.

If my patient(s) take me up on the offer then I may post a small 'case study' here if they give permission. The one stumbling block I can see at the moment is the parkinsons, although they do both have jobs that require fine manual skill so I have my hopes.
People are like Slinkys. Basically useless but fun to watch falling down stairs.

#37 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:15 PM

Parkinsons shouldn't be too much of an issue, since I seem to recall it's more like an ongoing vibration, generally all to the same scale - as opposed to other, more seizure-like movements which are more representative of a jerk or yank on the lines.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#38 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

...And no, I have never mentioned it to my doctor as trying to make him understand about Rev (kite) flying would surely be a lost cause.

You might be surprised.

My doctor has been very open to the oddities of my life in regards to my general health. We look for ways that suit me (and might look like weirdness to others) that I can use to maintain and improve my health.

Explain the physics (varying pull on the lines, independent motion of the arms, etc) and the emotional benefits, and then ask him whether he thinks it's worthwhile. My bet is that he will endorse it for you, and might even ask if you can demonstrate for someone else who needs an enjoyable exercise regimen that can be done by someone with limited mobility.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#39 JasonOsteo

JasonOsteo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:12 AM

Parkinsons does give some appendages a 'wobble', this is due to the degeneration of an area of the brain to do with movement. Unfortunately, this also means the patient can have problems initiating movement. So, a sport requiring fast hand/eye coordination may not be well suited but I am hoping the fine manual skill they have has preserved some of the degenerated area. Plus they are in the earlier stages.

#40 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:57 AM

I find that flying my Revs, and sport kiting in general, to be very therapeutic. With a new emphasis on "flying my Revs" ;)

Physically, I find that it helps my shoulders, back, and neck loosen up. My job has me working at a computer most of the time, with the other time spent in semi-comfortable chairs for hours on end. At the end of the day, my posture suffers, and my upper half is brutally tense. After a little stretching, flying the Rev seems to relax everything! Less visits to the chiropractor for me.
I can feel my actions and reactions to the kite's posturing across my upper back, as if all the muscles are given just the right amount of exercise to halt their daily atrophy.
As my arms move around, my shoulders begin to loosen up as they help make micro-adjustments to my flying stance and the Rev's posturing.
Staring at a computer and typing takes its toll on my neck by the end of the day. While flying the Rev, I am always looking straight out or up. By the end of my session, I stand up straighter, with better posture that's easier to maintain when relaxed.

Mentally...... Its very relaxing.
I'm doing quite a bit of math all day long, and while its simple math, its usually in my head. Couple that with all the analyzing I do at work, and by the end of the day I feel like a freakin' robot. Flying kites allows my mind to reconnect with my body, and to leave all the numbers and mental notes behind for awhile.

Guess I'm a little sentimental after flying today :blushing: I sure do wish it was easier to share these sentiments with more people.
:ani_whistling: I'd like to teach the world to fly, in perfect harmony...
I'd like to buy the world a Rev, and have them fly with me :ani_whistling:
Ok, so my sentiment has gone a little overboard :rolleyes:

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users