39 replies to this topic

#21 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

It's often said that "a good workman never blames his tools" but that's because a good workman understands the importance of choosing the right equipment and taking care of it.

Bob,

Previous post: Absolutely no need to apologize for having a difference of opinion that you defend intelligently.

The above post, however, I can't let slip by ... the implication is that good workmen choose the very best, up to date tools in order to achieve fine craftsmanship. Thus, a Rev flyer should have the latest stuff ... and, anything else labels you as a newbie. (I'm sure you're amazed that you stuffed so much between the lines.) Let's see, that would mean a Bazzer Pro, with the new secret tapered race rods and Pro handles ... probably won't even need lines with that set up.

I'm wondering where the old time furniture crafsmen kept their power tools. The Queen surely still has a piece or two that were made with the simplist of hand tools. And, as to Tiger Woods, the endorsement chase is too valuable for him to play with anything less than the stuff the common man lusts over. Maybe he uses the latest for the mental edge ... kind of the placebo effect.

The point I'm trying to make is that most of us would do well with the tried and true, middle of the road stuff ... and, lot's of practice to improve our skills. The newer, trendier, edgier stuff is fun to dream about and maybe purchase if you're able, but the majority of the fun is still contained in the mundane common implements. And, in the hands of a true craftsman, that mundane stuff can produce excellent
results.

Now, where does this soap box go?

Cheeers,
Tom

#22 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

Tom

I think you have read something into my post that simply wasn’t there and I certainly make no apology for any opinions I hold. I wrote of “choosing the right equipment” I made no mention of “the very best, up to date tools”.

Take a look at my avatar my favourite kite, a four year old 1.5sul its one of a matched set of pre B Series 1.5s. I never felt the urge to rush out and replace them when the B Series was launched and good job too as what was once celebrated as “the best thing since sliced bread” has now apparently been reclassified as “Armature” by many since the launch of the B Series Pro.

I am very proud of my old girls, top notch all of them.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#23 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

The above post, however, I can't let slip by ... (cut). Thus, a Rev flyer should have the latest stuff ... and, anything else labels you as a newbie.

Yep you seem on the money there Tom. I would say that unless you have the very latest masterpiece, let alone making do with old fashioned two tones, you must be noob ;) ;)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#24 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

Tom

I think you have read something into my post that simply wasn’t there ... I wrote of “choosing the right equipment” I made no mention of “the very best, up to date tools”.

Bob,

I think you and I are arguing strongly from the same side of the fence ... we agree!!!

The rub is that many folks, new to the sport, don't have your experience. They want to buy one kite set up that does it all. And, they go off in search of the holy grail of kitedom. They need more folks like yourself who make it very clear (remember that we're separated by a common language) that the old tried and true, with lots of practice, is ultimately better than chasing the bleeding edge of technology. I noticed in his collection that Papa Smurf doesn't own a single B-series ... and yet, he flys when the rest of us are grounded. Hmmm, what's with that?

Please take no offense with my posts ... I have nothing but respect for your opinions.

Cheers,
Tom

#25 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

Don't worry Bob. Next time we have a club fly, we'll take anything newer than a year out of Jeepster's bag and divide it among the rest of us...
CYuLf.jpg 0LPEo.png and ybuXm.png

#26 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

Don't worry Bob. Next time we have a club fly, we'll take anything newer than a year out of Jeepster's bag and divide it among the rest of us...

Do that and I'll be flying my undies ...

Well, actually I do have a twenty year old delta ... but, yep, nothing else that's older than nine months. And, you know what, none of my latest and greatest stuff overcomes my lack of skill. I'll still buy it, 'cuz I like the way it looks ... the black centers and clipless handles look really sexy ... but, I'll not fool myself into thinking it'll make me a better flyer. Well, maybe the clipless handles will ...

Besides Jeff, how can I expect our British friends to treat me with respect tolerance when my own club mates are so abusive?
Tom

#27 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

Do that and I'll be flying my undies ...

I'd pay to see that. :P

Maybe Ben will buy them, like he bought Bri's.

#28 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

I'd pay to see that. :P

Maybe Ben will buy them, like he bought Bri's.

But, Bri's were so much ... opps, forgot that this was a family forum. Let's just say that my Rokaku is smaller than Bri's undies.

Cheers,
Tom

#29 pitviper51

pitviper51

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

weee what happend here! lets all play nice :huh: everyone was a noob at one point or another.. i tell this to the new guys getting into rc flying after they see me do crazy aerobatics, i have good stuff now, but we all started somewhere. who cares if someone has a fleet of custom B's or just 2 or 3 1.5's as long as your haven fun...

mike
ps, the wait for the mail man begins

#30 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:47 PM

Bob,

I think you and I are arguing strongly from the same side of the fence ... we agree!!!

I know. B)

I noticed in his collection that Papa Smurf doesn't own a single B-series ...

Neither do I. ;)

and yet, he flys when the rest of us are grounded. Hmmm, what's with that?

One word “Skill” I just wish I had that level of skill. I have knowledge but that comes from the company I keep, my mentors are some of the UK’s finest, and knowledge rubs off, but that level of skill only comes from years of experience.

Don’t do that my mates might feel obliged to reciprocate. I have one kite in my bag that's less than a year old and I wouldn’t want to loose it, it's a mid vent custom I ordered last September to complete a matched set.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#31 manny

manny

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:41 PM

I think this whole thing started out as a question of a beginner about what limited equipment would get him the most for the money. Especially with limited funds and the need to know if he/she likes flying a Rev. When I was as total newby I was just happy to get that kite up in the air. A revII with standard handles and 90#/8o' line served me for a whole year. I did not have the money for a B. After I KNEW that I wanted to fly Rev's I saved $$$$$ for a B and I realized the the big differnce between those two kites. I don't think i would have learned any faster or slower with a B right from the beginning letalone know the difference. After some time I got myself a 50' lineset and suddenly I could do things I could not do before. After two years of flying I doubt that I, myself, would know the difference between 90# and 150#. I'm still to green. It takes some practice to recognize the little differences.
If you are new at learning an instrument, you can't tell the difference between a 20$ fiddle and a Stradivari.
So, I think you are well off with one kite, one 90#/80' lineset, 0ne 90#/50' lineset and a tentstake or a stick until you know if the upcoming expenses of $1200 are worth it to you.

#32 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:45 AM

To put it simply, the kite doesn't make the flyer, its the flyer that makes the kite.

To elaborate, John B could pick up a 6 year old EXP and out fly the pants off me on a brand new B-Series Pro custom. I have watched Mark Reed do multiple Jacobs Ladders on a Prism Jazz ($49.95 msrp) where I have difficulty doing them consistently on a Widow Maker Custom ($299.95 msrp).

Every model Revolution is capable of doing all the tricks that that kite was designed for. (I don't think it is possible to flick flack a Power Blast 4-8)

That's one of the beauties of the Revolution, you don't need to spend the highest dollar or purchase the most expensive kite to learn to fly. A qualified pilot on an EXP would be better at everything Revolution than a beginner on a Pro....and probably have just as much enjoyment if not more.

Don't take this the wrong way, it is always nice to have the best of the best and to have a custom kite that you have designed yourself...but is it really necessary to fly good and have fun??? For a person on a limited budget the EXP still makes one of the best bang-for-the-buck purchases on the market. It can do everything the B-Series can do and it accepts all the same frames and is completely interchangeable. If you got the money, the 1.5 or the B-Series is awesome but if your funds are limited you won't be missing out very much at all with the EXP and probably have just as much fun as anyone on the flying field.

(the views, opinions and expressions above are mine and do not reflect back on anyone else, especially the great John B or Mark Reed who I shamelessly referred to in this post) :) :) :)

#33 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

To put it simply, the kite doesn't make the flyer, its the flyer that makes the kite.

Kent,

That was a long post, so let me make sure your opening statement doesn't get forgotten!!!

Cheers,
Tom

#34 DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

Now I'm confused, I thought Revolution made the kites?

#35 Jeff

Jeff

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

It's a chicken and egg kind of thing.

#36 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

If you're going to get TWO sets of lines, I'd go for 120 ft. lines so you're prepared when you eventually fly team with other people (120 is the standard length when you're flying team because you get more sky), and then anything from 50 to 90 ft. as your second set of lines. My personal favorite is 25 ft. lines though because they set up really quickly, however you need to respond quicker to things as well so it might not be good for somebody just starting with a rev.

Wow your not kidding about the 25' set there great, I built a set last week and just spent two hours out in the 28 degree cloudy snowy weather but still had a riot on them shorty lines. first decent bicycle turns I've ever done.
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#37 pitviper51

pitviper51

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

25 fters wee,, i tried my 50s yesterday in light wind and it was fun, takes getting use to the small window haha.
mike

#38 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:17 PM

Now I'm confused, I thought Revolution made the kites?

Posted Image

Hello all-
IMHO, I do feel like if you can scrape that little extra together (if you're more serious about flying) you'll want to start off with the best you can afford; even if you have to stretch it a bit. You have to admit that any one of us that started with a lesser kite and then flew an "OPK" B series, immediately wanted one and probably purchased one ASAP. You are not going to be happy knowing that you bought an EXP and should have bought the 1.5 SLE or better.
If you get the chance to fly "OPK's" DO IT! It will give you the feel of them, not to mention that you will know really quick if you are hooked. At that point, I am sure you will want the better one... whether it's used or you have to wait a bit longer to get it.
Just my 2 cents.
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#39 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:04 PM

Posted Image

Hello all-
IMHO, I do feel like if you can scrape that little extra together (if you're more serious about flying) you'll want to start off with the best you can afford; even if you have to stretch it a bit. You have to admit that any one of us that started with a lesser kite and then flew an "OPK" B series, immediately wanted one and probably purchased one ASAP. You are not going to be happy knowing that you bought an EXP and should have bought the 1.5 SLE or better.
If you get the chance to fly "OPK's" DO IT! It will give you the feel of them, not to mention that you will know really quick if you are hooked. At that point, I am sure you will want the better one... whether it's used or you have to wait a bit longer to get it.
Just my 2 cents.

Laura,

I do agree with you 100%, the B-Series Pro's are probably the best Rev's I have flown.

That being said though, I still don't mind flying my daughters' EXP's in any way and can do anything that my Pro can do on them. I always say that if you can afford to move up to one of the other models then do so, you won't regret it at all but if you are strapped for cash, the EXP is still one awesome kite that will give you many years of pleasure with no regrets either . We have a ton of flyers here on EXP's and they fly right along side the others with the B-Series. Sometimes the EXP pilots have better control and skills than the pilots on the B's. The pilots with the B's just had more expendable cash at the time of purchase. None of them seen to regret their purchases and nobody gets ridiculed or is limited on their ability to perform for purchasing one of the other (less expensive) model Rev's. The EXP is the perfect and best choice kite for anyone looking to start with the quad line stunt kites that is limited on their funds.

With the Rev's, buy what you can afford and you will enjoy it, regardless of the model. I still own and fly my very first original EXP that I learned on, that was over 10 years ago. I never have regretted that purchase and am thankful of the shop that sold it to me. :)

#40 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

Laura,

I do agree with you 100%, the B-Series Pro's are probably the best Rev's I have flown.

That being said though, I still don't mind flying my daughters' EXP's in any way and can do anything that my Pro can do on them. I always say that if you can afford to move up to one of the other models then do so, you won't regret it at all but if you are strapped for cash, the EXP is still one awesome kite that will give you many years of pleasure with no regrets either . We have a ton of flyers here on EXP's and they fly right along side the others with the B-Series. Sometimes the EXP pilots have better control and skills than the pilots on the B's. The pilots with the B's just had more expendable cash at the time of purchase. None of them seen to regret their purchases and nobody gets ridiculed or is limited on their ability to perform for purchasing one of the other (less expensive) model Rev's. The EXP is the perfect and best choice kite for anyone looking to start with the quad line stunt kites that is limited on their funds.

With the Rev's, buy what you can afford and you will enjoy it, regardless of the model. I still own and fly my very first original EXP that I learned on, that was over 10 years ago. I never have regretted that purchase and am thankful of the shop that sold it to me. :)

Hi Kent-
You are absolutely right, anyone can fly any Rev. It never crossed my mind about ridiculing someone or being ridiculed over what kite they fly. I just mentioned that as I know of many times, on the forum or in person, of someone that had wish they would have gotten the B Series over a standard 1.5 ... and similar stuff.
Personally, I'll fly anything that's available. The bottom line, get what's best for you and your situation. It is nice to have "all the info" so that you are getting the best for you... as an educated consumer!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users