• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jawnee

Jawnee
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:48 AM

Well,

As promised, I tried to fly my Power Blast 2-4 and make it pull a sea kayak around. I should point out that it took a while to get to know this big kite and keep it under control. It has a tremendous kick to it and the power position is small, but when you hit it, you'd better be hanging on. I should also point out that the winds have been well in excess of 20 mph each day and I only took it out when they got down to the mid teens.

Yesterday, with the help of my trusty 13 year old son, we got the PB flying in about 18 mph winds and actually got it to pull the two man kayak all over the reef... sometimes at quite a clip I might add. I did dunk it once and it was challenging getting it back out, but I did it.

Twas quite thing to see....have video too...!!

John

"Power-Yaking" Video....(a short ride)..

Attached Thumbnails

• P3100175_2.jpg
  • P3100173.jpg
  • P3100174.jpg
  • P3100175.jpg
  • P3100179.jpg

#2 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:40 AM

I'm not sure if you are brave or if you are a candidate for a Darwin Award!

I can't wait to get home so I can look at the video.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#3 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

Well,

As promised, I tried to fly my Power Blast 2-4 and make it pull a sea kayak around. I should point out that it took a while to get to know this big kite and keep it under control. It has a tremendous kick to it and the power position is small, but when you hit it, you'd better be hanging on. I should also point out that the winds have been well in excess of 20 mph each day and I only took it out when they got down to the mid teens.

Yesterday, with the help of my trusty 13 year old son, we got the PB flying in about 18 mph winds and actually got it to pull the two man kayak all over the reef... sometimes at quite a clip I might add. I did dunk it once and it was challenging getting it back out, but I did it.

Twas quite thing to see....have video too...!!

John

"Power-Yaking" Video....(a short ride)..

Nice work John!! you are truly mad ;) maybe I should lend you my Progressive power stack to try!

Any chance you could change your gallery settings to allow downloads? My Quicktime plugin doesn't want to play embedded AVI's today!

#4 Jawnee

Jawnee
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

;) Funny...that's what my wife said as I donned my wetsuit and ventured into the water.... I started slowly with just flying the PB "from" waist deep in the water and when it dug in, I'd lift my feet and it would pull me across the water ala body surfing style... after a few hundred yards of getting pulled around (and my arms about to come out of the sockets), we went with the sea kayak. Once we figured out a way to get on and fly at the same time, off we went like a bullet... the video is quite short as my camera battery died.... quite a blast fling the p-blast this way....

After we were done, I was walking around with my knuckles dragging along the sand though....It's quite an upper body workout!! If things get rough, the PB is great because you can literally de-power it (as you know), so I wasn't going to go sailing out over the rocky reef.

That's nothing though... check out this video below here... now that's some crazy fools!! I'm doing the three day training this spring on power kiteboarding... this is a weak warm-up to it.

John

Kite Boarding to extreme...

#5 Jawnee

Jawnee
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

Jonesey,

How do I do this to allow downloads?.... be pleased to if I can figure it out?

John

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

Hey John, if you think you can do those CRAZY leaps and stuff with a PB and a Kayak I REALY want to see that stuff.

Only joking.

Looked like good fun. Just a bit of advice. you need to stop once you have to roll your arms up to keep then inside your sleeves.

#7 thief

thief
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

I am guessing that you learned you move quite a bit sideways in a kayak eh?without a centerboard/daggerboard/keel you end up loosing forward momentum by being pulled sideways a bit.....

As a kayak instructor i ask one thing: please carry someway of cutting the lines in case of an accident where you get wrapped up....i carry a diving line cutter (razor blade incased in plastic hook shaped) anytime that i am doing something in a kayak on with a line....

#8 Jawnee

Jawnee
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

Good points on the knife.... the kayak we used was a big ole stable two place "Sea-Kayak"... you are correct on the 'side-load'.... that's why my son was using the oar to dig in the back and turn it. We essentially went parallel with the beach back and forth. It was meant more to have a little fun and less on something that I'd do on a regular basis.

As a matter of fact, its more fun to body surf with it... I've been flying Rev's for about 14 years on and off and my son is getting pretty tricky with it as well. I gave him the handles of the Power Blast 2-4 and watched him get yanked about 5 feet in the air in and out of the waist deep water. He held on for dear life and had a ball... kinda resembled "Flipper" the movie... :lol:

In the video that comes with the PB, you see the owner jumping with the kite in a power lock situation... we're doing the same only popping a few feet in the air in and out of the crystal clear aqua water, but alas, the vacation ends tomorrow... back to the cold grind! :matrix:

John

#9 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

Dont go back John, just stay there. Looks like you are having WAY to much fun.

Money, shelter, food and all that stuff you can do without. All you need for life is a bag of Revs and a sweet wind.

Oh dont I wish that was true!!

#10 Gaiiden

Gaiiden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

get a kite surfing harness to hook your handles to. Tie a rope to the bottom of your two handles about 6 inches long and use that to hook in. This way if you let go, the brake lines are pulled and the kite will immediately stall out. This way you'll be able to take the load off your arms. You'll probably want to get a chest harness, not a waist harness as that will lower your center of gravity too much to handle properly while sitting in a kayak, as kite surfers do all their stuff standing up.

Good stuff tho! Moar video!
Drew Sikora
Crazy Traction Kiter
(Semi-sane Stunt Kiter)
------------------------------
"Watch out, I may land on you!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users