25 replies to this topic

#21 pitviper51

pitviper51

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

Sigh, as someone who owns 8 bikes, your analogy does hold some water. But I have taken my road bike (compact crankset) onto single track. Takes a *lot* more finesse to manage it, as well as a lot more anticipation, and dang it, there are just some short little hills that I just have to get off the bike and run it up!

I guess the same can be said with the kites. Each has a personality that its best suited to. And while I can take a road bike into single track, it is sooooo much more work to do, and I still won't go blasting down a rutted hillside with it. From the sound of things, I think you'll be (like most/all of us) getting a quiver of kites.

I will say that I favor my vented kites when I can. The vents seem to smooth out the bumps in the air and make the kite less twitchy. Its such a noticeable effect, that I tend to go for my midvent or vented, even when the wind conditions would favor a full sail. It only when I spend more time working the kite a lot to stay in the air, that I switch to a full sail. YMMV

And like every one, welcome aboard!

Bob

8 bikes you sound like the guy i work with hahah. the hole road bike off road thats why i have a cross bike, best of both with out shocks. tho i do favor the 130mm travel on the mtb haha.. but enough about work. the point is every condition is going to call for changes or differnt rigs, same goes for my rc flying. i think i will start with full sail, if the wind gets higher then i can fly in, ill pull out the one pictured in my avatar and get a work out . best thing for me to do is hope its windy wednesday night so i can try to fly the sle 1.5 my friend has. may try to get some pics or video
mike

#22 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:53 PM

If I had to pick 2 kites and 2 kites only to have in my bag, I would take a Mid Vent B-Series (single vented) that I'm confident I could fly in almost no wind and a Full Vented B-Series.

Order the Midvent with Race Rods and the Full Vented comes with 3 and 4 wraps that would leave you with 3 sets of frames to interchange and would cover you from pretty much no-wind (With some practice on the Midvent) to 45 mph comfortably.

Another scenario for a 2 kite bag would be a Blast for slight breeze up to 10-12 mph and a Full Vented B-Series for the 2 frame package.

But I'm a junkie and I just can't have 2 kites so luckily for me I dont have to make that decision B)

Of course there are also lines, For some reason the B-series sets dont come with lines standards are 90#x85' team likes 120' so thats your choice either way i'd get a set of 90# and 150" (for higher winds) in whatever length you decide to go with. B-series do come with handles so you're all set there.

Happy Hunting and welcome to the madness :wacko:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#23 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:06 AM

Welcome to the International,Revolution,Flyers Club.

All we ask is,well,nothing realy.

Just,

E N J O Y

Welcome onboard

BRIAN...

#24 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:32 AM

I think one thing you'll learn from flying and from reading this forum is that there are many many ways to do things. The best way is the way that works for you.

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#25 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:01 AM

The best way is the way that works for you.....

...otherwise known as the way of the sailor ;)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#26 pitviper51

pitviper51

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

...otherwise known as the way of the sailor ;)

i have rc sailboat as well, 1/4 scale laser haha wind hobbies rule, i was flying full scale sailplanes while in germany and that set the hook for all things wind related.. actully going out side now to fly the ole 2 liner i got back in 2001 its held together with parachute cord.. sounds like a weedeater but it flys. thanks again every one for the welcome, hope to know what ill be etting soon
mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users