Mid Vent??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnesso

johnesso
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:46 AM

I've noticed the term "mid vent" being used in some of the forum discussions on this and other sites. Is this just different terminology for a vented Rev with 4 vents. All that seems to be available here in Australia is the Standard and Vented Rev. Does another series exist between these two?

#2 ssm1nw

ssm1nw

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:00 AM

The Mid Vent has two vents in the sail where the Full vent has four.

#3 johnesso

johnesso
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:03 AM

The Mid Vent has two vents in the sail where the Full vent has four.

Sounds like this could be the animal I'm looking for then. I had a standard 1.5 SLE but when the wind picked up it got a bit bumpy on the lines - sold it. Really liked the Vented 1.5 SLE but wished it had a lower wind capability even when fitting with a 3 wrap L/E. I'll send off an email to a couple of the retailers to find out the availability and price. Thanks for clearing that up.

#4 RAWVEEDA

RAWVEEDA

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:10 AM

Sounds like this could be the animal I'm looking for then. I had a standard 1.5 SLE but when the wind picked up it got a bit bumpy on the lines - sold it. Really liked the Vented 1.5 SLE but wished it had a lower wind capability even when fitting with a 3 wrap L/E. I'll send off an email to a couple of the retailers to find out the availability and price. Thanks for clearing that up.

Another option would be to try a lighter frame in the full vent. Instead of the 3 wrap try the 2 wrap, or even better, put race rods in the full vent. That might be a cheaper alternative for now. Then when you get the Mid vent you will have a really light frame to increase its low wind abilities.
Posted Image

#5 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:32 AM

I would agree, Race Rods work well in a full vent.

If you dont understand Race Rods the easiest way to describe them is thay are about as heavy as 2 wraps but with the strength of 3 wrap. Description is a little simple mind, they sem to have a springyness to them as well.

However I do agree as far as the mid vent go's, it is a fantastic intermediate wind type kite, will fly in winds you should need a full sail for and winds you should need a full vent for.

Hope this helps a bit.

Of course if you still have the SLE leading edge in your kite you will find a great difference in going over to the thinner leading edges.

#6 dagnabbit

dagnabbit

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

I was flying a mid vent with race rods yesterday at the Zilker Kite Festival. Less than optimal winds; 5-12 mph, gusty and choppy, changing direction up to 90 degree every few minutes (had a couple of 180 degree shifts). And the Rev handled it just fine. I need to build the equivalent in a dual-line kite- a vented UL. That would have come in handy yesterday...
dagnabbit!

The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

team Austin End Of The Line
team Quadzilla

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users