8 replies to this topic

#1 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

It's well-known that the leading-edge mesh on Revs is sensitive to storage damage, especially if you always fold the kite over in the same place before you roll it up. To mitigate this kind of damage, I always take my leading edge rods out of the kites (very easy to do) and roll carefully and loosely around the rod bundles, taking care to vary where I fold up the leading edges.

But what about the vent mesh? I find that with my vented I can't fold up the leading-edge flat like I do with the standard without also folding up some of the vent mesh, often smack in the middle of one of the vents. Conversely, if I fold the kite so that all of the vent mesh lays flat, the leading edge ends up getting folded over at an odd angle, which probably isn't very good for its longevity. Also, folding the kite so the vent mesh is flat makes it considerably more bulky when rolled up, which is kind of annoying.

So, I'm curious. What does everyone else do when rolling up a vented? Do you just go ahead and fold the vents over to make the kite nice and neat and compact? Is it bad to fold the vents over? Will the vent mesh eventually crack and break apart from storage like the leading edge mesh does? Am I just being too picky? (Okay, don't answer that last one.)
kairusan

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

It's well-known that the leading-edge mesh on Revs is sensitive to storage damage ....

I started making vented REVs back in 1993 before they were on the market in 1996. The first one never showed any cracking or ripping in the screen, however, it was not flown that often. The second, my rainbow, did have ripping only on the leading edge vent. It ripped at least half the REV width on the LE, but never anywhere else. It was built in late 1994. This one was flown quite a lot and by many people. It was really beaten around.
I never used any special method for wrapping it up, taking no care to shift the roll a little each time, nothing.
I would tend to believe, don't worry about the vertical venting and how you wrap it up.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

I would tend to believe, don't worry about the vertical venting and how you wrap it up.

Yeah. What John said. With the exception of my nearly 20 year old Rev I, I've never had LE mesh rip. I leave my LE spars in place when I roll up the kite, and the only thing I'm moderately careful about is pulling the outer sticks out slightly so the bend in the leading edge has a little space to flex.

I've been flying vented revs for 12 years and never had anything happen to the venting mesh.

#4 RAWVEEDA

RAWVEEDA

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:37 AM

I usually don't wrap my vented kites as tight as my full sails. I kind of let the mesh fold/roll the way it wants to.
Posted Image

#5 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:29 AM

I usually don't wrap my vented kites as tight as my full sails. I kind of let the mesh fold/roll the way it wants to.

I'm with Steve on this one. About the only thing I try to do consistently is make the first roll over of the leading edge sort of wide so the end caps dont push into the mesh.

All that said, the mesh on my venteds take enuf of a beating just from being flown hard and in places that they probably shouldn't be flown, like roofs with hooks, pilings with barnacles, thorny brush, gravel parking lots....ya know....all the places you know you shouldn't fly but do! :devil:

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#6 bobw

bobw

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:56 AM

All that said, the mesh on my venteds take enuf of a beating just from being flown hard and in places that they probably shouldn't be flown, like roofs with hooks, pilings with barnacles, thorny brush, gravel parking lots....ya know....all the places you know you shouldn't fly but do! :devil:

And I'll just lend my kite to Rich and just let him damage it. He's such a great guy, I think I'd score a new kite B) . Or maybe one of those cool Bazzer eyes...

#7 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:58 AM

You can get the leading mesh to pull-away, if you want it to,...
you'll have to work several of these "best practice" items into your usual flying sessions until they are habitual.

1.~ you need to aggressively flip the kite inside and out, preferably in big winds (so it snaps loudly)
See how many & how fast you can do 'em down the center of the window!

2.~ practice some throws & catches too, insuring you always grab right for the center of the sail

3.~ carry the assembled kite by that same central point every time,
grip it tightly so it doesn't blow away!

4.~ roll the kite up snug when disassembling,
I wrap it twice with velcro strips too, so nothing falls out and gets lost

5.~ keep jamming kites into your roll-up Rev bag, until it simply will NOT hold another one

6.~ give newbie lessons in big turbulent winds,
demonstrating how durably a Rev is built by repeatedly smashing the leading edge into the ground

7.~ or just personally beat your kite (like a red-headed stepchild behind the woodshed)

8.~ keep that sail "drum tight" by monitoring the bungie cords.
Always tighten the tops first, so those end-caps stay flush with leading edge sleeve.

9.~ be patient,
really thorough damage is going to take some serious hours of practice before it appears

I have a few kites that are showing this problem. They still fly great and I'm not concerned (yet!) Eventually it will get so bad that I will be forced to address the issue. My favorite B-series full vent has about 5 inches separated at the center. I have the first Gibian Masterpiece too, and that kite has 3 or 4 inches ripped away. I abuse my kites, with handling, storage and my unique flying style. You can do the same thing, just follow along with my "best practices" list above.

Honestly, I do all that stuff and have been doing so since '93. It is my opinion only, but entirely too much attention is given to this topic. If you fly hard or tons of hours this will eventually happen. It's not that big of a deal. If you want my to try out your kites or offer more personal attention just let me know when. I can get it ripped away faster than Ron Graziano wears thru a bridle!

#8 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:41 AM

My penny's worth ......

Having been a sailmaker in a past life, putting hard creases in my new kites was a complete anathema to me so from day one I took great care in rolling the sails along the leading edge around the spars to avoid any creasing at all....

Of course the reality of spending that extra five minutes setting up and breaking down meant that it wasn't long before I returned to the accepted method of storing my 'soft' sails.... however I will continue roll my speed and power series kites this way to preserve the mylar panels.. and if you really want to take the ultimate care of your sails I would recommend you adopt the same approach....

Here's a few pics of my PB being rolled away as an example .... you can still see the hard crease in the second picture that came 'factory fitted' ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0173.JPG
  • IMG_0172.JPG
  • IMG_0171.JPG
  • IMG_0174.JPG

#9 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:50 AM

Wellp, looks like the vent mesh isn't going to explode in two weeks just from being creased a bit. Maybe the mesh is quite tough and it's something to do with the forces on the leading edge, combined with the rods abrading during storage, that makes all of these alleged tears. But I'm still very freaky and so I just might give Jonesey's method a try, just to see if it's not too annoying for me.

Thank you, thank you all! :fish:
kairusan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)