• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 go figure

go figure
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:40 PM

HI

I am sure this has been asked before but was unable to find the thread. I have a Rev 1 with the SLE LEdge but have read that a bendy LE actaully gives a better feel in lower winds. I also need a kite that I can stick in my suitcase. I don't want to chop up expensive Rev spars to experiment. Does anyone have a view how normal 6mm pultruded carbon would work as a LE? This would give me the option to make more shorter lengths to fit the suitcase. I was going to give it a try on spec but thought I'd ask for tips before just buying any old carbon.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Clive

#2 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:55 PM

I would definitely not use 6mm pultruded for a Rev leading edge, especially not for a gigantic Rev 1. Not nearly strong enough to stand up to the forces you'd put on it just from tugging on the lines, let alone when you add winds into the equation. You'd probably need something like 10 or even 12mm pultruded (like they use on those gigantic Elliot kites), but why bother with that? If you want a cheapo framing option, you might just use some Skyshark P-series rods. Lots of fliers seem to use P200 or P300 leading edges in 1.5s and do just fine with those. I've read somewhere that P400 is actually more flexy than P300 (despite being slightly heavier) so who knows whether you'd want to use that.
kairusan

#3 bobw

bobw

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

The sky shark 8p is reputed to be a bit stiffer than the standard Rev 4-wrap rods.
I have both the p400 and p300 rods. My p400s seem a bit stiffer to me than the p300s (at least by a simple hand flex method)

#4 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:19 PM

Now that I think about it, the OP asked about a lighter-wind travel frame, so I'd be willing to bet 8P, P400, or whatever else that's possibly uber-stiff isn't going to serve Mr. Clive's needs very well. But I've read that P100 is reeeeeeeally pushing it for a 1.5 leading edge. So maybe P300 for the LE would be good and P200 downspars, like that Polo guy uses in his home-built 1.5s? Would that setup shatter in the first 6+mph gust in a Rev 1, you think, because of the increased size?
kairusan

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:26 PM

HI

I am sure this has been asked before but was unable to find the thread. I have a Rev 1 with the SLE LEdge but have read that a bendy LE actaully gives a better feel in lower winds. I also need a kite that I can stick in my suitcase. I don't want to chop up expensive Rev spars to experiment. Does anyone have a view how normal 6mm pultruded carbon would work as a LE? This would give me the option to make more shorter lengths to fit the suitcase. I was going to give it a try on spec but thought I'd ask for tips before just buying any old carbon.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Clive

Stay away from protruded carbon rods for in particular the REV I. Those rods bend too much and shatter to early.

Check with Revolution concerning a break down rod set for the REV I that would fit in your suitcase. I know they make break down sets for the REV II and 1.5 thus they might have them for the REV I.
In general REV rods cost a bit more but they are much more rugged then practically any others thus worth the extra expense in the long run.

I understand that with "newer" REV rods, if "properly" cut, the new ends are almost or just as strong as the original ends.
Using a simple hack saw is not a good idea as it will create minor splits thus weakening the new ends. Better is to use a high speed very fine and thin saw.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#6 bobw

bobw

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:50 AM

I've experimented with the sky shark rods, and use a dremel tool to cut 'em down. I forgot where the posts are, but someone suggested covering the cutting area w electrical tape to avoid splintering. Been doing that and then polishing off the end with the dremel w. good results.

In another post about making your own set of portable rods, it was noted that Rev reinforces their rods near the joint. If you cut their rods, you should probably reinforce them a bit. I think it was John B who was talking about hacking a set of Race Rods (sigh) and reinforcing the ends with strapping tape -- the kind with fibers in them. Seemed to make sense, and since this newbie has broken a few LE rods near the joint, I decided to reinforce all my rods w. a thin wrap of them. Whether its luck, better skill, or just crashing flat (and not on edge) it seemed to have worked so far. But maybe I need to lend my kites to Antman, the destroyer. ;-)

So, putting all that together, I decided to make a set of travelling P300 rods for my 1.5. Limited flight time (like 2 hours) but I had a blast, and loved how small it folded up. But it was a bit interesting trying to separate the sections a bit while it was inside the sail, and then accordioning it up. In the future, I might cut up some flexier rods (like P100s) to play. Ben had a "shop talk" discussion about varying the taper in the LE for better light wind response. I don't have access to his rod making gear, but I can replace each one of these 1/2 rods with a different flex. Should be fun to just tinker. Maybe a p300 center, followed by a p100, then a p90 at the ends. Wish the weather was warmer to just sneak in a stray hour or two each day to see "what if I do this..."

As for your Rev I, I think the LE is 108". From that, I'm inferring that there are 3 36" rods on the leading edge. If you are planning on playing, the max length for most of the sky shark rods is 32.5, except for the 8Ps (which are reputed to be a bit stiffer that the Rev 4 wraps) at 40". So either get a mess of shorter rods, or fewer 8Ps and make lots of cuts.

BTW, I think the p100s are about as flexy as a Rev 2-wrap, the p400 like a 3-wrap, and the p200s and p300s somewhere in between. Since I don't own a Rev 1, you are on your own as to which one you think will do the trick.

All this being said, I'm told Ben is *very* accommodating. If you want a 1/4" traveling frame set, why don't you call and have him make you one?

Bob

#7 go figure

go figure
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for al the useful suggestions. I think I will abandon the Rev 1 frame, perhaps the sail is just that bit too big and try for a travel frame on my 1.5 SLE a la Bob using P300. If I do find some off cuts and I try the Rev1 idea I'll post a rely to let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all your time. :)

Clive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users