149 replies to this topic

#121 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:16 AM

You need a permit to evacuate or tell people to evacuate?
wacko.png

So we can excavate, starting at 200mm depth. There is 7 permits on that wall! Paperwork. Hate it.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#122 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:11 AM

That kite looks like a ton-of-fun from my perspective!

A permit armed digger & a Rev flailer?,..... we can't wait to see those two aspects combined into a video

#123 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:24 AM

That kite looks like a ton-of-fun from my perspective!

A permit armed digger & a Rev flailer?,..... we can't wait to see those two aspects combined into a video

Put in a little time on my "new" B2 today. Different. WOW different.
Love the response, makes an already responsive kite more reactive.
Have to have out for a little longer to give it a thorough going over.

7 Permits:
Authority to Work, Authority to Excavate, Work at Heights, Working with Guards Off, Hot Work, Confined Spaces and Hazard Reporting.
Some require up to 7 different pages to be filled in...

#124 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

SUL has been fully kitted out, Diamond Rods, French Bridle and Magic Sticks. Now if only the wind will calm down...

#125 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:25 AM

With those current modification riggings you can go into bigger wind than you ever thought was appropriate.  Remember the whole point of all the rigging front and back is to spread the dynamic forces and increase the responsiveness.  Since there's no oversteer wiggle possible in the bridle anymore you'll feel a strong surge of wind (across the center of the window for instance), easy to fly off to the side or up-top riding out a sudden unexpected gust.  I give ground, but friends stand lead footed, it's been proven plenty strong, rest easy.

Make sure you have the bridle installed properly, when it's perfect and only then.... "paint" the knots with nail polish.  Let this polish dry overnight, not just to your touch with a finger tip.

Tune the bridle with the kite inverted, ideally adjusting the attachment points on the bridle as opposed to the handles (the bottoms).  That way when you switch from stock to French bridle it's tuned correctly either way.  The kite needs to back-up inverted from the leading edge resting on the ground (in low wind you may need to walk backwards also).  

Stock out of the packaging the FB is tuned to 15 inch no-snag handles with Barresi's leader knots.  Myself I use longer handles and WAY longer leaders.

If it doesn't fly faster in forward and still hold all the reverse, if it doesn't feel more responsive, then give me a call and I'll coach you though some testing.  We'd start with the usual questions. Lines even, laid out cleanly, affixed to the handles which perfectly align in your hands when jerked back tight from a well placed stake or fence post?

I expect you to love this rig like a first borne child, but it might not be the first few flights <LOL!>

#126 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

After a full 3 hour session of zero wind, I gave my SUL a thorough go. We flew my Indoor Rev, my modified SUL, my buddies SUL and my other buddies Zen. Some Plutz gliders and a Vented iFlight.

The mods to my SUL were a significant improvement to me and suited the way I like to fly. Quick response to inputs. And a killer glide! Flat and effortless.

The glide I can attribute directly to the magic sticks as the kite wasn't under load and they have never been that impressive. I'm sure the new rods helped too.

Flight was sharp and somewhat zippy considering there wasn't any wind.

Spent more time on the Indoor and SUL than the Zen. I just couldn't gel with the Zen. That's a kite I'll have to revisit another time.

All in all, I'm really happy with my modded SUL. I realise that Sticks and the French mightn't be for everybody but it's working for me so far.

#127 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

Your comments on not clicking with the Zen right away, are common! Not everyone feels right with that big wing and its flight style!! If you haven't flown them or a Rev I size before, it may take a bit to get used to the feel of it!! Like the mods - give it a good chance to sink in before an opinion is formed!! 

As for the mods, you have it 100% - it fits the way you fly!! Every one has a certain feel they are seeking, the only way to find it is to try it!!ani_idea.gif

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#128 mystainedskin

mystainedskin
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

I never thought I would chime in on this one too much. I flew basically all the sizes of sails with magic sticks in T.I. The differences on the Zen...2 different kites. The B and B2..I will be ordering a set for each to fly for a while...just for personal r&d. Just the tripping on lines problem would make them worth while in that environment.

#129 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

I never thought I would chime in on this one too much. I flew basically all the sizes of sails with magic sticks in T.I. The differences on the Zen...2 different kites. The B and B2..I will be ordering a set for each to fly for a while...just for personal r&d. Just the tripping on lines problem would make them worth while in that environment.

Aaaahhhh, now I know who you were flying with.... They are worth the r&d for sure.

#130 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:32 AM

Adding the magic sticks makes for "different" flight dynamics to be sure, . . . not necessarily better.  With that said, the complete modifications I have incorporated fit my own personal style very well!

At one point during TI last week Paul Dugard was handed my kite,  WAY too long a set of handles, and too much brake, different bridle and sail construction.  Darn it, he could still fly one in each hand (although not comfortably).

We worked on some slack line tricks for those curious enough to inquire about techniques.  This is where the sticks really shine, 'cause you don't have to walk down there and re-set up your kite when things don't go exactly as planned.

Also, as mentioned about, when resting on the ground, the lines are completely slack which is nice for spectators who cross the field oblivious to the world (obliv-iots is the official term)

Lastly, sticks are pretty cheap and can be easily taken off if they don't do what you want.

The most amazing thing about the sticks is the glide gained for field recovery from the top of the wind window.  Easily 3 or 400% of the altitude.  The Zen almost rides out of sight, literally hundreds of feet, even dragging the abandoned handles underneath

#131 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

<snip>  The Zen almost rides out of sight, literally hundreds of feet, even dragging the abandoned handles underneath

I reckon that one of 'Ben's competitions' in light wind should be a downwind race.  I went for a walk with a 1.5 with diamond rods recently.  Two long pulls took it pretty much back to the top of the window...

#132 mystainedskin

mystainedskin
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

Revflyer...your zen doesnt need a pilot.. the thing wants to fly and glide with out you :)

#133 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:38 AM

Amazing isn't it?   I love doing that glide demo for the unsuspecting,...

conversations stop, background folks stand from lawn chairs, cameras whirl away and it doesn't even look like it's losing altitude, just receding towards the sunset

#134 kitefantex

kitefantex

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

I made some quad sticks which worked well yesterday. Only problem was the connections to down spars.  What work for you ?

Kitefantex aka Gumby

#135 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

If you made them yourself, you should end up with 3 lines making the trusswork! 1 line wingtip to wingtip, through the stick's cap, and 1 each for top to bottom on the verticals, also through the caps! Simple loops should be a good enough way to fasten them through the caps! I think if you go back through this thread far enough you'll see some plans Paul posted explaining them!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#136 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

I made some quad sticks which worked well yesterday. Only problem was the connections to down spars.  What work for you ?

.312 APA standoff off connector, with a VEC on the .125 stick

http://www.thekitesh...r-%2d-.312.html

#137 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

Magic Quad Sticks 003.jpg

#138 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

.312 APA standoff off connector, with a VEC on the .125 stick

http://www.thekitesh...r-%2d-.312.html

Thanks "T", I must have misunderstood his question! Thanks for the pic!

wayne from portland

AKA member

#139 Captainbob

Captainbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:55 AM

I just put a review on Kitelife.com of my new Quad Sticks.  http://kitelife.com/...-sticks-review/

AKA member

#140 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:45 AM

Great pic of my SUL with all it's framework in a synergy of oneness...
Thanks WA for the cool shot.

Edit; I've just realised I haven't taken the bridle identifiers off yet!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users