#61 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:36 PM

And to whomever said it would be awesome if Rev produced something like the Zephyr case, I second that. Oh boy, do I ever.

I agree!
Check this Zephyr case out!
Now we're talking Extra Expense! ...But awful Sweet!

Zephyr_kite_case.jpg

No offense Ben!

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#62 sammy

sammy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

Hey jynx
I have a Z case and i love it. I travel with it all the time, from airplanes to poker tables. i am a duali so its nice to throw a few 2 line kites but now i am a total rev head and i am glad i got the Z case along time ago lol.
RABBI שמואל aka SAMMY

TEAM REV RIDERS! LETS RIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#63 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

I carry my green fade set quite nicely in a Zephyr case, std, mid, full vent, with frames and one extra leading edge, handles, lines and a of COURSE my LS Custom Kite Stake.

5 bucks for that plug eh?

:D
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#64 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

I carry my green fade set quite nicely

:D

I am soooooo jealous green fade :wub:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#65 DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

I am a new flyer .... I started with a B-Series and was impressed by the bag it came with. However, I don't use all the poaches, handles etc on it. I have a custom made line case (thanks Jeepster), and I put my handles, line bag, stakes, etc in a gym bag. Just my kite and frame sets go in the case.

Since Ben asked I will give my 2cents: (Please don't take offense I love the kites, I have my second one on the way I want my comments to be taken as constructive criticism not complaints)

1. The handle is not necessary and in my opinion is in the wrong spot the bag doesn't balance right, so if I had to pick one thing to remove without impacting initial impression I would have to say the handle.

2. The poaches on the side are cool looking but not so functional, I have custom made frame bags that I store in the poaches when the frame is in the kite. One poach would be fine, give the same look and not much missing function. Maybe embroider Revolution in the bag instead of poaches?

3. I like the flip top.

4. Post the DVD online, let people download it. That way you can attract new people and actual purchaser will still get the same great info.

5. Offer more bags at varying price points instead of including them with a kite purchase, maybe simple sleeve for the kite and a bag for extra.

6. Keep the initial price low, that was a huge deterent to me, but I was lucky to fly Jeepsters for free, now I have the sickness.

7. I bought the kite because the kite, didn't even realize anything about the bag till I had it in my hands.

7. Keep up the great work and steer potentials to this forum.

My 2cents, disregard if you think I am off base.

#66 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:48 PM

Part of what made the Revolution kite so popular and take off so well was the instruction video, I think it's a marketing genius move that Joe has certainly profited from.

As for as the bags go someone had an idea of a note on the booklet send in a coupon with copy of receipt and $5 US whatever in other countries for a handled bag with pouches, This way they could get one if they desired keeping initial cost down but providing it for those who really want it.

That would cut down costs of sending 1 out with each kite to keeping a few dozen on hand for those truly interested.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#67 ssm1nw

ssm1nw

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:35 AM

When I bought my rev I did not know what sort of bag it was going to come with, had'nt really thought about it as it was the kite i was after.
I have been using the pockets for the lines and handles although the handles are a bit of a tight fit in there.
In time I will buy a bag to put all my kites in so the bag it cam with will be put to the back of the cupboard.
I dont think it matters what the kite comes in as once you have flown one you will get more and want a better bag anyhow.

keep the price of the Revs as good as you can with a cheap sleeve to keep it together and offer bags as an option.

Keith

#68 Bazzer

Bazzer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:19 AM

Well if it's the ultimate bag we are talking about!
Must have enough room for a full set of B Pros.
Three sets of 120ft lines 50lb 90lb 150lb
spare set of race and three wraps.
one set off handles.

Be solid or robust enough for checked luggage. (However people travel on planes with guitars in hard cases!!!!!)

So Carbon fibre(unlikely with current carbon price) or ABS construction or some vacuum formed plastic. Maybe even 800/100 denier ballistic nylon with plastic reinforcement.

Price...I don't really care. If you want it perfect expect to pay.
At the moment the price is around....A Zephyr...throw out the kite and keep the box! $239

Bazzer

Out of interest what are you all willing to pay??
Lets get down to nuts and bolts!

Eat ...make Revs ....sleep......repeat!
Maker and designer of B Pro, Zen, XTRA VNT and Masterpiece kites.
Are you "Glued To The Blue"
I am.
Come visit me
www.gluedtotheblue.comgallery_170_47_48984.gifgallery_170_47_18974.gifgallery_170_47_3948.gif
http://www.teamiquad.com

#69 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:19 AM

Do I sense a new enterprise: "Bazzer's Bags"?
...I'll leave the comments to others :P
Andy

#70 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:07 AM

So the Zephyr kites sells well with a price that includes the cost of making that case. They don't include the case with all their kites, right? The fashion/demand for a particular dual line changes from year to year so the lifespan that they can sell the case is more limited than with revs.

With the Rev you could use the same case across all the 1.5 sized line, thus spreading out the cost of the case over many kites in the product line. And since the lifespan of the 1.5 sized product line seems to be a looong time, the cases would continue to sell for many years to come.

If Rev doesn't want to get into designing and ordering 10,000 cases (or whatever the minimum would be), maybe they could buy some from Prism, make a few mods and re-sell them to us.

Mark Reed, do you read this forum? There's a demand here....
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#71 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:27 AM

Well if it's the ultimate bag we are talking about!
Must have enough room for a full set of B Pros.
Three sets of 120ft lines 50lb 90lb 150lb
spare set of race and three wraps.
one set off handles.

Be solid or robust enough for checked luggage. (However people travel on planes with guitars in hard cases!!!!!)

So Carbon fibre(unlikely with current carbon price) or ABS construction or some vacuum formed plastic. Maybe even 800/100 denier ballistic nylon with plastic reinforcement.

Price...I don't really care. If you want it perfect expect to pay.
At the moment the price is around....A Zephyr...throw out the kite and keep the box! $239

Bazzer

I
As mentioned previously I'm not much for the sleeve the kite comes in...it's really whats in the bag. But Bazzer brings up a good point.if willing to pay a premium for something well made and functional...A well made travel case is what we're all after. One that carries multiple revs and ancillary gear associated and needed for it. I'm currently using one of Dave S's rev modded bags which is great but not long on compartments within the bag or smaller side pocket. Rev has their bag but it to has it's down side when splayed open on the beach....both play sand magnet.
This is getting a little OT but I think you see where I'm going? If not, well sorry for the blather......just waiting for the breeze to pick up a little!!!!!!!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#72 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:58 AM

Lets just say that a hard case is to be made available, and you had some say in the design. what features would you want to see?

How should it be kept closed?

Lockable?

Should it be made to fit the longer Rev 1?

Would you pay extra to have your name embossed on the cover?

Should it have a handle? what kind? Strap, hard plastic, rigid, ????

How many kites, linesets, handles, frame sets should it hold?

Do you want a small container affixed in the box for small parts such as end-caps, extra bridles etc.?

What would you be willing to pay (in USD) for a hard case that is made how you wanted?

Who knows, may be someone who is reading this is taking notes..........
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#73 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

Something big enough to take 8 kites min some of which would be a rev I. Don't need embrodery or niceties as it would be bashed around the hold of a plane. Must have the means to be locked (maybe nothing more than a zip one can put a padlock through). Need room to hold 2 sets of handles, 4 lines and a small bag of odds and sods plus 2 additional frames. $300 if you can have it ready by KP7 ;). (actually it would be more £200 eg but the exchange rate....)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#74 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:26 AM

Lets just say that a hard case is to be made available..........

I hereby initiate prayer to any and all relevant deities and/or cosmic and/or quasi-cosmic forces—including, without limitation, a certain flying monster made out of spaghetti, any particularly hyper-intelligent shades of the color blue, and Capt. Jean-Luc Picard—that the above is indeed something that is somehow, someway, to be made so.

One of the things I like most about that Holy of Holies, Sacredest of Sacreds, the Zephyr Case, is how it opens like the gleaming shell of a gargantuan clam, except instead of the Goddess Venus, or, better yet, a young Uma Thurman playing the Goddess Venus in the Adventures of Baron Munchausen, you are greeted with something quite very nearly as good—kites, lines, spars, and so on. Waiting there for you. Easily accessible. Right there. Right on. No unrolling a 10 foot long beach blanket burrito to get to the one you want. No fishing about in the dangerous depths of some ginormous floppy Bag of Holding. No. Just—everything, right there in front of you. Make it so!

Oh, and the case should be a true HARD case. As in, you could close your boot on the thing and then crush it with your trunk, or vice versa if you're American, and/or just run it over several dozen times with an 18-wheeler and the precious $5000 nest o' Race Rods within would not even notice a thing. That's why I carry my revs around in a gigantic length of ABS pipe. Not because I'm desperate to look stupid, no. It's because I don't want to pay all those shipping fees for replacement frames every time I get run over by a bus.

Lockable?

Of course! With a TSA-compliant lock. In case you have to ever check the thing in on a plane for some reason. Would be much better as carry-on, of course, for then in the event of a water landing you'd have your kites right there and could put together a train and pull yourself around the Hudson using your seat cushion as a floatation device. But for those particularly nasty backwater airports with hugely overzealous agents who take their roles as Security Thespians waaaaaaay too seriously (Spokane comes to mind; that one's always so terrible for some reason), it would be nice to be able to lock everything up before tossing it into the Checked Baggage Black Hole.

No! The perfect case should be made to fit a minimum of two (2) and a maximum of three (3) Rev 1.5s and several spare spar sets snugly, silly! The kiting world has long been drowning in a veritable tsunami of bags of every conceivable design that have but one thing in common: they're designed to allow one to schlep an entire kite air force to and fro. The Zephyr Case—why is it so cool? Well, among other things, because it's so minimal—it carries only what the serious flyer needs: a 1.5 standard and vented, some spar sets, line, handles, and accessories, and then maybe a three-piece LE Rev 2 or, heaven forbid, a 1.5 Mid-Vent for the minmaxing crowd. You know, only the kites you really need. You can always use some gigantic bag or other, or a forklift, or whatever, to lug everything else when you decide you absolutely must do that.

Only if it came in that cool REVOLUTION font. That'd be awesome.

A strappy handle that would automagically fold away when not in use—and a shoulder strap with a padded thingy for comfort as well as some nice strong metal clips to keep the case from falling to the ground when the cheaplastic strap clips break.

See overly verbose and florid response in re. "Made to Fit the Longer Rev 1?" above.

Do you want a small container affixed in the box for small parts such as end-caps, extra bridles etc.?

A built-in zipped-up pockety thing with a window would be nice, so you could dig for parts more easily.

What would you be willing to pay (in USD) for a hard case that is made how you wanted?

Can I have it for free?

One can only hope.
kairusan

#75 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

I hereby initiate prayer to any and all relevant deities and/or cosmic and/or quasi-cosmic forces—including, without limitation, a certain flying monster made out of spaghetti, any particularly hyper-intelligent shades of the color blue, and Capt. Jean-Luc Picard—that the above is indeed something that is somehow, someway, to be made so.

One of the things I like most about that Holy of Holies, Sacredest of Sacreds, the Zephyr Case, is how it opens like the gleaming shell of a gargantuan clam, except instead of the Goddess Venus, or, better yet, a young Uma Thurman playing the Goddess Venus in the Adventures of Baron Munchausen, you are greeted with something quite very nearly as good—kites, lines, spars, and so on. Waiting there for you. Easily accessible. Right there. Right on. No unrolling a 10 foot long beach blanket burrito to get to the one you want. No fishing about in the dangerous depths of some ginormous floppy Bag of Holding. No. Just—everything, right there in front of you. Make it so!

Oh, and the case should be a true HARD case. As in, you could close your boot on the thing and then crush it with your trunk, or vice versa if you're American, and/or just run it over several dozen times with an 18-wheeler and the precious $5000 nest o' Race Rods within would not even notice a thing. That's why I carry my revs around in a gigantic length of ABS pipe. Not because I'm desperate to look stupid, no. It's because I don't want to pay all those shipping fees for replacement frames every time I get run over by a bus.

Of course! With a TSA-compliant lock. In case you have to ever check the thing in on a plane for some reason. Would be much better as carry-on, of course, for then in the event of a water landing you'd have your kites right there and could put together a train and pull yourself around the Hudson using your seat cushion as a floatation device. But for those particularly nasty backwater airports with hugely overzealous agents who take their roles as Security Thespians waaaaaaay too seriously (Spokane comes to mind; that one's always so terrible for some reason), it would be nice to be able to lock everything up before tossing it into the Checked Baggage Black Hole.

No! The perfect case should be made to fit a minimum of two (2) and a maximum of three (3) Rev 1.5s and several spare spar sets snugly, silly! The kiting world has long been drowning in a veritable tsunami of bags of every conceivable design that have but one thing in common: they're designed to allow one to schlep an entire kite air force to and fro. The Zephyr Case—why is it so cool? Well, among other things, because it's so minimal—it carries only what the serious flyer needs: a 1.5 standard and vented, some spar sets, line, handles, and accessories, and then maybe a three-piece LE Rev 2 or, heaven forbid, a 1.5 Mid-Vent for the minmaxing crowd. You know, only the kites you really need. You can always use some gigantic bag or other, or a forklift, or whatever, to lug everything else when you decide you absolutely must do that.

Only if it came in that cool REVOLUTION font. That'd be awesome.

A strappy handle that would automagically fold away when not in use—and a shoulder strap with a padded thingy for comfort as well as some nice strong metal clips to keep the case from falling to the ground when the cheaplastic strap clips break.

See overly verbose and florid response in re. "Made to Fit the Longer Rev 1?" above.

A built-in zipped-up pockety thing with a window would be nice, so you could dig for parts more easily.

Can I have it for free?

One can only hope.

Perfect response and great ideas!

I totally agree!
(Though you may want to check your medications for proper dosages)

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#76 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:32 PM

Lets just say that a hard case is to be made available, and you had some say in the design. what features would you want to see?

Lockable?

I would say all of the above.

Need to be cheap as chips for me just at the moment though.

How about gold plated, given away free.

Serieosly, keep 3 Revs nice and save. Would be good if it was long enough to have 3 of any of the non speed series stuff. Lines, handles, spares.

Not sure how much. Dont NEED one as I have a stuffed Rev bag. Would WANT one though.

#77 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

Just thought, trouble is I would want one for my set of Sdegwicks, one for my set of B's, one for my set of Rev 2's and eventualy one for my set of Pro's.

Could work out expensive.

Oh I forgot, they are Gold plated and free. Also encrusted with Diamonds and other bling of course.

#78 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:41 AM

Oh I forgot, they are Gold plated and free. Also encrusted with Diamonds and other bling of course.

Wouldn't it be difficult to fly the kites with the integral security handcuff permanently attached to your wrist?
Andy

#79 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:59 AM

Another thought on the Rev Bags as well...

I'm totally in agreement for a case that is similar to the one they make for Zephyrs! However, I also would like to see a less expensive alternative to the Roll Up Bag. Not necessarily a bag that rolls out, but a nice standard bag that could hold 3-5 Revs with your basic equipment. No muss, no fuss. Somewhere in between an overblown kite sleeve and a Prism bag, know what I'm getting at? I think the roll up bags are great for storage, but on the field, they just don't seem very utilitarian.

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#80 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:22 PM

Baloo,

With apologies to Ben, since we've deviated far from his original question!

Got to thinking about your post Baloo. And also, thinking about Amy's and Brett's kites being stolen. That suggests that a bling encrusted case is the wrong approach. The inside could/should look great and be extremely functional, but the outside should be extremely uninviting to the casual, or not so casual, observer. Making it look like a dirty diaper is probably going too far, but something beat-up, worn, torn, and useless might be a better approach to keeping your kites safe.

Cheers,
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users