monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:02 AM

Still waiting... B)

-Alden

K, its officially back on my todo list :-)
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#42 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:16 AM

I remember opening my first Rev and saying "Oh look it even has a bag." Point being, I didn't buy it because of that silly purple sac. With all this bag talk I had to go look and see what I have. I have at least one draw string, fold over, pockets and smooth. I now see you need a sleeve but basic is fine and low cost it very important for the first time buyer. I still use the plastic sleeve that a old Rev I came in from eBay. I can't count the times when people are very interested in what ever Rev I'm flying, try it out, go nuts over it, then ask the killer question. How much? Most walk off shaking their heads. I explain my entertainment "$$$ per hour" theory I use to justify my Revs but that jump in price is hard to overcome.

My 2 cents is the lowest cost jump in Rev you can make and you will make your money in future sales.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#43 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:33 AM

I didn't buy it because of that silly purple sac.

You know where to donate your silly purple sac when you're fed up with it Denny ;)

I know it's nothing to do with rev, but one of the most beautiful sleeves for a kite I own is
by Stephen H and The Gonzalez bros - their Bai.
I have no idea what the material is but it's stunning, with a gorgeous printed design, no pockets or handle loop.

K.I.S.S.
1 of the 47.

#44 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:39 AM

I am liking the idea of a compact bag carry bag. My ideal would be to carry 3 Revs, (one of each standard, mid, vanted) 2 0r 3 linsets and handles, also fit a set of Race rods. You should be set up for whatever wind you find.

The kites could be in neat sleeves at the cost save, similar to earlier Revs. What might be even MORE cool is if the compact bag could just slide into the full size bag pockets, once you had removed lines and handles of course.

Then you have the full size Rev bag when you want to show off ALL your Revs. (presuming you have more than 3 of course)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try not to increase prices, especially with the difficult times I, and I presume others are going through at the moment. Although of course I expect we will all understand if prices have to go up. If there is ANY way you can see to be able to reduce your prices, but of course maintain your quality I am sure you would find sales increase even in these times.

Hope you can filter out the useable points from all the posts Ben. You are getting plenty of suggestions.

#45 FLY TILL YOU DIE

FLY TILL YOU DIE

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:45 AM

I feel most people that get into REVS are impressed by the perfomance! The sleeve is useful in keeping the kite safe & clean while being stored. Pockets, don't use em! Like others I keep my line on the handles,and the pockets are to small.
I would also like to see a hard case option like the prism Zephyr case, people are buying this kite just for the case. Is that nuts for a REV flyer that only flys a two line for old times sake?
Have only seen a tease on black center kites, and break down spars. I know these things take time to develop but could be a shot in the arm in tough times. Also know kiters are crazy for T-Shirts,seems that market could be expanded.
:ani_idea: JOHN

#46 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:08 AM

Ben

Personally I like the draw string bags. For most of us all that is needed is something to keep each kite tidy and separate and stop the bridles getting tangled in the bag. Anyone who serious about Revs will probably have one favourite set of lines and handles, that they will use at least 90% of the time, they will be pilot specific not kite specific so pockets on each individual kite sleeve are probably way more trouble than they are worth. To be honest I was gob smacked when the upgraded sleeves were introduced for the B Series especially as it was aimed squarely at the more experienced flier. The words “ashtray” and motorbike” seemed strangely appropriate though I wasn’t quite sure why.

Having said all that, the EXP is the entry level Rev and although I suspect it was the first Rev for many for many on this forum, there are probably many more out there that sit in garages, trunks and cupboards patiently waiting for the couple of hours may be two or three Sunday afternoons each year when they are much treasured beach or park toys. For the owners of these EXPs the extra storage for the lines and handles may be of value. Although before I acquired my Rollup Rev Bag I used one of the polythene sleeves the kites came packed in and up until I acquired my 3rd Rev I found it perfectly serviceable.

Ben, PM on its way in an hour or two.

Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#47 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

Wow Ben, you asked, and family answered! A lot of great ideas to think about, and a real good consensus of opinion.

I would say that the main point on whether to include a plain or pocketed sleeve with the EXP is going to change what first time buyers perceive as value. Two schools of thought here:

First is provide the more expensive sleeve with pockets/handle with the entry level kite. As a first time buyer, they more than likely do not have a kite bag to put multiple kites, line sets, and handles into, have not developed a way to deal with all the bits and pieces, and would appreciate the storage. Also the extras in the kit such as training video, in depth instructional booklet, Product card, and so on. The higher end kites such as B series, Pros, Masterpiece and the like comes with basic sleeves but also includes the product card so if the kite is bought by a first time buyer, they know what Revolution has to offer.

Second is to have the basic sleeve with the entry level kite. As a first time buyer, they probably would not know about the pocket/handle sleeve unless they had seen other fliers with one. Keep the costs low so the entry level kite can be offered at a lower price to entice more first time buyers to take the plunge. Mid level kites such as the Rev 1, 1.5, and 2 to come with the pocket sleeve, and high end kites come with the basic once again, since it is more than likely that the buyer has bought before and has developed their own way of dealing with the kites and accessories they all ready own.

Now for a idea for a upgrade kite bag. I think this would make a great lower cost bag to be bought separately. I had bought a inexpensive dual line kite for the wife to mess with if she wanted, a New Tech Detonator. It came with a cloth kite bag that resembles a tapered rifle bag, but only smaller. It is made from a heavier cloth, has a zipper that runs over the top and down about one third of the side of the bag, and has a interior pocket for the line set/handles. To bad it is too short to fit a Revolution kite with frame set or I would use it for my revs. If Revolution were to make these available for their kites, I think they would make a great addition to the product lineup, and should sell well.

I am now looking for my taxi...........
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#48 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

I would go for the original string bag or one with a fold over top.
However, you might consider offering an optional bag with pockets destined more to the new fliers to help them in keeping kite, strings and handles together. The option could be in the form of a card shipped with the kite that new owner could send in to Revolution or the dealer with maybe 5 bucks. They would receive the the pocket bag in return.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#49 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:31 AM

Several folk have referred to the EXP as the entry level kite, however, as can be found on this forum many have been recommended to go straight for the B series as a starter package, we have folk here that have purchased B's or 1.5 SLE's as their first kites, in fact I can't think of any of the local fliers who owns an EXP.

#50 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

Aye, it's happening more and more too. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#51 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:22 AM

Yeah, I don't it makes sense to think that people first buy an EXP and then a B or SLE. Many will start higher up.

I just checked a random shop and a B-series with lines and handles is $333.
I don't think $10 more is gonna make a difference in sales.
I think a nice package on the shelf might.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#52 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:28 AM

I just got a bunch of the basic blue Rev sleeves (I like this material) with drawstrings, for our new team kites.

Enough room for a kite and spare frame, not too big... Might be able to fit 2 kites if you roll them together. ;)

Nice, perfect for what I need.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#53 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

Wow Ben, you asked, and family answered!

oh-weeeee what a lot of answers, we'll be giving Ben a migraine with all these musings ;)

</grape juice kicking in>
1 of the 47.

#54 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:59 AM

... Enough room for a kite and spare frame, not too big... Might be able to fit 2 kites if you roll them together. ;)

One area of concern for rolling the kite too tightly should be the potential long term damage to the screen. Yes?

Like the B-series video shows, I leave the LE rods in the sleeve and fold the right and left sides of the kite into/onto the center section. Once there, I roll up the kite around the three LE rods. But, I roll it up loose enough that the screen is allowed to stay flat ... ie isn't bent a second time. That method precludes fitting the kite into a "tight" sleeve.

Don't know if it'll prolong the life of the screen, but it's a start.

Cheers,
Tom

#55 Wobbly

Wobbly

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:09 PM

My thought on the subject, I use the bag the kite came in to keep the kite in, don't use the side pockets as I found them to be too small to be of any real use ( look nice though ) my suggestion would be to have a ripstop material bag long enough to accomodate kite / Line winder and Handle's with a fold over top, on drawstring bag's I always found the string gets caught up on thing's, a nice touch would be to have the bag the same colour as the kite inside, and an off the wall idea, if you had two Velcro strip's running down the length of the bag when you brought another Rev with the same type of bag you could Velcro them together and gradually build up a multiple Rev kite bag that way.

#56 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

a nice touch would be to have the bag the same colour as the kite inside

you're not wrong Wobbly, same colour, same matching design it is a nice touch :ani_whistling:
1 of the 47.

#57 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:25 PM

I feel most people that get into REVS are impressed by the perfomance! The sleeve is useful in keeping the kite safe & clean while being stored. Pockets, don't use em! Like others I keep my line on the handles,and the pockets are to small.
I would also like to see a hard case option like the prism Zephyr case, people are buying this kite just for the case. Is that nuts for a REV flyer that only flys a two line for old times sake?
Have only seen a tease on black center kites, and break down spars. I know these things take time to develop but could be a shot in the arm in tough times. Also know kiters are crazy for T-Shirts,seems that market could be expanded.
:ani_idea: JOHN

OT,

We have full stock on all 1.5's with the black logo centers and also have the travel frames as well. We will be updating our website asap to show them but if your waiting for them to be available then wait no more! :) Contact our shop to purchase now or wait for them to show up on our website within the next week or so.

As far as bags go, I would like to see them just ever so slightly larger so you can fit your handles and line inside the bag easily. I stuff the lines/handles in now but they don't quite fit right. The pockets and handle are never used (by me anyways). Perhaps one pocket for ID or keys or stuff and toss the handle.

#58 FLY TILL YOU DIE

FLY TILL YOU DIE

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:02 PM

Several folk have referred to the EXP as the entry level kite, however, as can be found on this forum many have been recommended to go straight for the B series as a starter package, we have folk here that have purchased B's or 1.5 SLE's as their first kites, in fact I can't think of any of the local fliers who owns an EXP.

When someone asks me for a recommendation, I suggest either the B series or the 1.5 with the 3 wrap leading edge option as offered by Kite Connection. My stock leading edge hasn't been used in years.

#59 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

Is it possible to offer a choice in bags?

A first time buyer might like and use the pockets.

Others, like other folks prefer.

Could fairly easily be offered as an option? Or would that cause too many problems?

#60 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

When I got my very first rev, I appreciated the cool bag with the handle and mesh pockets and actually used both. What I did not like was the fact that the top didn't close; I used an office clip for a while to keep the kite and/or rods from sliding out. But very quickly—as seems destined to happen with these things—I got another rev, a bunch of extra rod sets, and so on. I now use a self-made hard case to store everything and hence never need to use the mesh pockets anymore.

The kites do still stay in their sleeves though, because sometimes I like to keep the big case in the car and only take what I need into the field, then keep the sleeve in my pocket once I'm set up—then I can just launch, pull up my stake, and move around all over the place if I want to without worry. I use the handle still but don't really need it.

Basically, the sleeves are really nice and good to have when you're first starting out. And like many others have said, it's probably much more worth it for the entry-level flier to have the nice sleeve with the pockets and handle than it is for the hardcore among us who often have our own wacky solutions.

And to whomever said it would be awesome if Rev produced something like the Zephyr case, I second that. Oh boy, do I ever.
kairusan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users