91 replies to this topic

#21 melnsct

melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

I put all my Revs ina roll up bag without the sleeves they came in.
I won't tell you what I use all my Rev sleeves for......but it isn't kites!!!!!!!
Melanie in Tennessee

#22 RAWVEEDA

RAWVEEDA

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

My first 1.5 had the purple draw string bag & no pockets. I never missed it. (I still fly that kite and use that sleeve today.) The only kite I use the mesh pockets on is my blast.(lines & handles).
I keep all my extras in my kite bag that is with me on the field anyway. I don't think the mesh pockets are needed across the board. (that is just my opinion). Maybe it could be offered as an optional accessory. Like you only get the mesh pocket sleeve if you buy it. Hell make the sleeve a little bigger to hold 2 revs and it could be your quick fix lunch fly bag. Just take what you need.
Posted Image

#23 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

I have always thought that the pockets were slightly small so tended not to put lines and handles in them anyway. As for the handles on the bags I found that sometimes if you carry by the handles it tilts the open end of the bag low and you can get loose rods slipping out.

For my needs you could do away with the pockets and handles on the bags. I do feel it is important that the bag is still of good quality though. To match the quality of the contents.

On the flip side if folks only have one Rev then the pockets could be a good and usefull feature.

I do agree with Jeepster that one way to reduce costs would be to make the instructional DVD a download. Most folks have internet or can get at it now. And once you have more than one Rev you dont realy need the DVD any more.

I would say that the Rev B DVD is a bit large for a down load though. That would still ned to be part of the package.

#24 kiteking

kiteking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

Fold over bag has my vote, I agree with Jynx about keeping rods secure.

I have a separate bag for handles and line so pockets not used.
Wind to your back, Kite in the air.

MikeM
Brookings, OR

Posted Image ----- Posted Image ------- Posted Image Posted Image

----#518 ---------- #110883

#25 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

The thought that comes to my mind is if the kite sleeves did not have pockets and handles, it would be incentive to purchase the Revolution bag. It might be cost effective to offer the sleeve with the pockets and handle as a upgrade sold separately. It would be a cheaper alternative to the very nice but expensive Rev bag. Make the pocketed sleeve wider, so the pockets are slightly bigger, and the sleeve can hold two kites. Put a card with each new kite that advertises extras, upgrades and other products that Revolution offers. Upgraded sleeves, bags, rods, and handles is a good source of profit, making every buyer aware of those options makes good business sense.

My 1.5 cents worth of thought.........
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#26 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

Hi Ben-
I keep all of my kites in the original bags/sleeves. I personally prefer the pockets because I put the kite description (laminated) in the pocket. How about just one pocket? I prefer the velcro if I had to choose. I have to say that presentation is important for a new flyer/buyer. Certainly, we know here on the forum what everything is about, so we understand the "big picture". Someone new to this might be swayed by what the entire package looks like.
As for possibly being enticed to buy a Rev Bag, I bought one thinking I could put it to good use. So far, I haven't used it once. For my needs, it is not easy to take a single kite out it if I'm not bringing the entire bag onto the field. I can easily just unzip the typical kite bag and slide out what I want, without taking the bag out of the trunk.
Just my two cents....
As I'm thinking about the sleeves/bags, I have a kite without one, so if someone has one that they don't use, can I buy one from you? PM me, if you'd like.... thank you.
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#27 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

My 2 cents:
I've never used the pockets, and don't really care much for them. IMHO the sleeves are too loose fitting and don't last well.

I think packaging is important. Look at the great packaging that Prism does. Their cases are creative and attractive and I know some people have bought their kites just for the case. I've seen Prism kites at non-kite stores (REI camping stores) and they look good on display. I can see why REI would carry them and I can't see a Rev hanging in the same display.
Maybe I haven't seen a recent rev package, but while the rev's are beautiful on the inside, the outside packaging is very much old school. Has it changed since the 80's?

So, my somewhat uneducated opinion would be to raise the price a little if needed and use a nice, narrow sleeve, made in a stiff cordura with a tight velcro closure. Something that befits a kite that costs as much as it does, and is as cool as it is.

While I'm going on and on...
I'd also sell a package that consisted of:
two kites, a vented and a standard; one set of handles; a set of lines; and some sort of special Revolution stake. Put it all in a really spiffy case, maybe a hard case, that holds all of it with room for an extra set of lines. And the case should pass the standards for sticking in the overhead bin of an airline. Neat, compact, and holds the minimum kit to fly in most any wind.
The perfect kit to keep in the car as well as to take on vacation.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#28 brad

brad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:01 PM

^5 to mike,sounds like a great idea. :clap2:

#29 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

I can tell you from experience, that making bags is tough! I only ever made one of these bad boys, but, I do plan to do more. Currently, it holds the fabled Monkey Rev... Blue velvet with (fake of course!) Snow Leopard, a chinese silk insert and a gold cord.

bitchinbag1.jpg bitchinbag2.jpg bitchinbag3.jpg
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#30 brad

brad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:22 PM

I can tell you from experience, that making bags is tough! I only ever made one of these bad boys, but, I do plan to do more. Currently, it holds the fabled Monkey Rev... Blue velvet with (fake of course!) Snow Leopard, a chinese silk insert and a gold cord.

sweetttttttttttt,did you ever think about getting into the kite business :P

#31 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:39 PM

Still waiting... B)

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#32 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:45 PM

Ok, now to Ben's question.

I have a variety of bags.

When I started I did not have a kite bag and it was important to me to have the mesh pocket on the side. Currently I do not use the pockets on any of the bags except for on my power blast. Everything I need for it stays with the power blast because usually when I take it out that is all I am flying.

My cheesiest bag came with my most expensive kite. Doesn't bother me because at that point I had a kite bag.

I agree that the "beginner" kites should have a "full featured" bag, something like the B or Pro doesn't necessarily need it.

I do like the fold over top to keep everything in compared to the drawstring but I think the side pockets aren't needed.

-Alden

P.S. I'm still waiting for the appropriate bag for my masterpiece B)
"Don't go in there!" RC

#33 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:59 PM

I just use a drawstring bag with an added $0.9 cent spring clip they never open and stay closed better than fold overs.

I'm surprised with all the ingenious things you guys come up with this one has made it past the thought process.

I's say use handle and pocket bags for the EXP and drawstring for the rest, Get some of these clips much cheaper and with thicker string and the knot on the end they don't slip off so you wont lose them.

Attached Thumbnails

• Spring_Clip.jpg

Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#34 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

The last kite I bought was a Bazzer vented eyes that came in an old blue sleeve that said "Black Eyes" in all caps written in Sharpie.
That is all I needed to see or know. As soon as the kite comes outta the sleeve the sleeve goes deep into the bag. Don't care a bit. That said, those of us here are for the most part rev owners many times over and do not place a whole lot of consideration into this other than to differentiate between whats in each bag. New owners are likely sold not only by whats in the bag but how what's in the bag presents itself.
Maybe it's time to raise the cost on the entry level stuff to accomodate a pretty package.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#35 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

Hi Ben-
I keep all of my kites in the original bags/sleeves. I personally prefer the pockets because I put the kite description (laminated) in the pocket. How about just one pocket? I prefer the velcro if I had to choose. I have to say that presentation is important for a new flyer/buyer. Certainly, we know here on the forum what everything is about, so we understand the "big picture". Someone new to this might be swayed by what the entire package looks like.
As for possibly being enticed to buy a Rev Bag, I bought one thinking I could put it to good use. So far, I haven't used it once. For my needs, it is not easy to take a single kite out it if I'm not bringing the entire bag onto the field. I can easily just unzip the typical kite bag and slide out what I want, without taking the bag out of the trunk.
Just my two cents....
As I'm thinking about the sleeves/bags, I have a kite without one, so if someone has one that they don't use, can I buy one from you? PM me, if you'd like.... thank you.

Hi Laura,
I would be happy to send you a bag, just email me your address. It's just a regular rev sleeve deal, but I have plenty and I have made some of my own bags as well.

Alden, You got a bag with Scarlette didn't you?

I do use the sleeves as well as my rev bag. Just for the extra protection it gives them on the beach. Also easier to mark the bags so you know what you are pulling. I have never used the handles or the pockets on the heavier bags.. so I would not be opposed to the simpler sleeves.

#36 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:48 PM

Sounds like the mesh isnt required anyways Ben if you have a few Revs.Its the sleeves i use.Dont use the Mesh or handle on the bag.They snag up in the Roll up bags when you try to get two or more in a pocket/Personally i dont like the draw strings,but thats me.

Simons angle on coulor codeing sounds good.A metal kite pin/badge on each case of the kite inside would be realy kewl.

BRIAN...4GERUPS

#37 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:29 AM

Alden, You got a bag with Scarlette didn't you?

Yep, just a drawstring bag but she's happy in it. Not as happy as when she gets her pimp bag though...

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#38 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:46 AM

Maybe it's time to raise the cost on the entry level stuff to accomodate a pretty package.

I'm no expert, but the real problem is enticing the new flyer. If the kite package price point is out of line with competing goodies (regardless of their relative performance), then it will be difficult to sell.

IMHO, there are two clearly segmented markets:
  • the connoisseurs who know exactly which kite they want (and it probably isn't an EXP anyway);
  • the casual purchaser and entry-level pilot - dipping a toe in the water.
The old hands will be pretty much happy with anything - if the kite is great, they'd even make or buy a bag to keep it safe if that was required. But a sleeve / bag of some sort is typically expected in a package. There is a little less price sensitivity for this group too.

For the entry-level and casual purchaser the package must look great and the price must be good to stand out from the crowd. But I'm not convinced that a handle on the bag would be a value-enhancing differentiator anyway, so that has to be "low hangin' fruit".
Andy

#39 bobw

bobw

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:59 AM

When I got my first kite, an EXP, I was delighted to see the pockets and the handles. And I used them to store things and carry it. In practice though, it was a bit too light to stand up to use, and after nearly daily use for about 2 months, I plunked down the dough for a vented and a basic bag. As stated by the others, my perspective changed after I decided a 2nd kite was needed, as well as a bag.

BTW, I fly on the beach nearly all the time, and some others have pointed out that the Rev bag isn't quite so nice for that situation. When you roll it out, it's just a sand collector.

In retrospect, I think a decent basic kite sleeve to hold the kite would have served me well, and i would have just fussed w. the lines and handles in my own way and not have thought twice about it. And if Rev offered an inexpensive basic bag to hold say 2 or 3 kites, plus a pouch for some gear, that would have served me well, and met my expectations.

#40 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:07 AM

I think if the EXP is your least selling production Rev, then go with a plain fold over sleeve. If the 1.5 or the B is your best selling production Rev, then maybe a stripped down version of the pocket sleeve bag (eliminate the handle and keep one pocket). I think having one pocket outside is a handy place to keep your line, a stake, and maybe a wind meter, but the handles don't fit in those so well (and therefore go inside the bag with the kite). The pocket bags are nice to have if you're just throwing one Rev in your trunk for that lunckbreak or impromptu fly. ;) I also have to admit that the pocket bag impressed me with the first ever Rev I bought.

Whatever you do, I think it would be utterly fatal to raise the cost of the Revs themselves. I have to admit that the cost was one of the factors why I didn't purchase one sooner.

ps. I also agree with Laura's comment of having a small window pocket on a plain fold over sleeve (like business card size), to help you identify which Rev is in the bag.

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users