14 replies to this topic

#1 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:54 AM

The ferrule on one side of a leading edge 3 wrap is stuck inside the leading edge so that the end of it is flush with the opening.

Any ideas on how to get it out and then subsequently reposition it correctly so it won't slide back in?

This is a question for the future as I've already trashed the one I'm talking about. :wacko:

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#2 X-Man

X-Man
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:07 AM

Drill a hole in it
glue in a peice of wire
pull it out using pliers or the like
LOVE IS.............

1, A brand new B Series Rev (Lime n Black)
2, Crisp Fresh Bright White spanking new Lazer Pro's
3, Handles with TONS of brake!
4, An empty field with freshly mown grass
5, A warn breeze to play on
6, A day off work to go with the above! Ha Haaaaa

#3 bobw

bobw

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:02 AM

Drill a hole in it
glue in a peice of wire
pull it out using pliers or the like

Hey Rich. Kent from a wind of change posted a trick a while ago. Went looking for ya, and read the last response.
http://www.revkites....?showtopic=1145

#4 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

Hey Rich. Kent from a wind of change posted a trick a while ago. Went looking for ya, and read the last response.
http://www.revkites....?showtopic=1145

Thx for the leg work Bob. Wish I had seen it before totally Fing it up last nite. Guess I'll be replacing a couple of spars fairly soon!! ;)

"Cya in the Sand!....."

av-1950.jpg

#5 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:10 PM

I've also gotten a ferrule out just by swinging the rod down and hitting it against the side of my shoe. A few whacks and enough of it sticks out for me to grab and pull the rest of the way.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#6 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:35 PM

Hey Rich this happened to my ferrule.....
I asked too late for help....
but it flies just as well even with an extra bit added on the end after pushing the darn thing further inside as it refused to come out.

It doesn't feel off balance (can't even tell which spar it's in anymore - got so many spares anyway) :lol:

</hic>

PP
1 of the 47.

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

If one ferrule has pushed in, then the ferrule on the other end may slip soon.
Try pulling out the ferrule that is sticking out and use Kent's concept of pushing the other ferrule out using a thinner rod or a coat hanger.
Then glue both back into place with a glue that won't crystallize such as epoxy(two component glue). I think super glue Gel might work as I suspect it won't crystallize.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#8 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

If 1 ferrule has come loose chances are the other is soon to follow, What I do is take a heat gun or hair dryer warm up the one that is still attached for a few minutes not heating it up too much then removing with a firm twisting action you can use a piece of sandpaper for grip and be careful it can be warm.

Once its out you can do whatever to get the slipped one free and re glue them both using a 2 part epoxy.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#9 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:04 AM

If 1 ferrule has come loose chances are the other is soon to follow, What I do is take a heat gun or hair dryer warm up the one that is still attached for a few minutes not heating it up too much then removing with a firm twisting action you can use a piece of sandpaper for grip and be careful it can be warm.

Once its out you can do whatever to get the slipped one free and re glue them both using a 2 part epoxy.

Or just use Hot water !! then when you have it out use hot glue to replace the ferrule job done. I now always carry a Hot glue stick and lighter with me to enable on field repairs lol (funny how it always seems to be Pro use spares that come lose)
GARY

Posted Image

#10 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:09 AM

Thanks all for the ideas.
Unfortunately for me I experimented first and asked after hence I'm now a 3 wrap center spar.

Overheated the spar and it just went soft and came apart. oh well, lesson learned!!!! HARD!!!!!!!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

av-1950.jpg

#11 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:26 AM

Overheated the spar and it just went soft and came apart. oh well, lesson learned!!!! HARD!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich,

Yep, heat will destroy epoxy. In RC aircraft we often soften epoxy with heat to disassembled joints ... and that's with balsa.

Help the rest of us avoid following in your foot steps ... what did you use to heat the rod and how hot do you think you got it before it deconstructed?

Cheers,
Tom

#12 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:52 AM

Rich,

Yep, heat will destroy epoxy. In RC aircraft we often soften epoxy with heat to disassembled joints ... and that's with balsa.

Help the rest of us avoid following in your foot steps ... what did you use to heat the rod and how hot do you think you got it before it deconstructed?

Cheers,
Tom

Without knowing which resin is used in the tubes it might pay to be careful with the heat, the text below is from the manufacturers of other Carbon composites I use,

"Do not allow the tubing to become excessively hot. High performance epoxy resins, together with oven post curing are employed in our tubes, however at temperatures above approximately 75oC the epoxy can soften, which dramatically reduces strength or otherwise can cause the tube to bow or warp."

#13 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:04 AM

Without knowing which resin is used in the tubes it might pay to be careful with the heat, the text below is from the manufacturers of other Carbon composites I use,

"Do not allow the tubing to become excessively hot. High performance epoxy resins, together with oven post curing are employed in our tubes, however at temperatures above approximately 75oC the epoxy can soften, which dramatically reduces strength or otherwise can cause the tube to bow or warp."

For us metric challenged, that's 167 degrees Fahrenheit ... I'd bet the trunk of a black car in the Arizona sun can get close to that temp.

Cheers,
Tom

#14 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

Rich,

Cheers,
Tom

Consider yourself ahead of the curve just by not following in my footsteps. Not being subtle about anything, I immediately went for holding it over the open flame of my kitchen stove. :wacko:
Of course since i didnt get immediate results, being impatient as ever :angry: , I moved it even closer. Still nothing. At this point i had resigned myself to not being able get it out so i tried a little direct heat. Duuuuhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
The reaction was immediate. The spar warped then splintered into a mess.

Hhahahaha.......my bad. So again, consider yourself way ahead of the game by not following in my footsteps.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

av-1950.jpg

#15 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

Consider yourself ahead of the curve just by not following in my footsteps.

Opps ... that would do it. Thanks for sharing ...

If it's any comfort, at least you made me laugh. I can imagine the look on your face when it "went up in flames" ... had that look myself with some of my mistakes. I also subscribe to the "if a little hammer doesn't work, get a bigger one" mode of operation.

Cheers,
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users