#21 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

nice article

I had a sleeving kit I bought 30 years ago, recently broke, I used a old guitar string (high E) as replacement.
I burn the ends of the sleeve after they are on the wire so the ends don't close.

I use the thin strands of 12 ga braided wire. Use them until they break and then make another.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#22 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:08 AM

i have done the sleeveless method myself a while back and i like it .. the only reason i dont do it is because at times i have to sometimes do an onfield adjustment if a line stretches out of wack.. with the thin sleeves i tie the one knot to make the loop and within minutes i can untie it to readjust my lineset and be back flying .. as we all know lines are always stretching .. espically if you fly in heavy winds alot like i do..the sleeveless method is a good one but now that i have the thin sleeves i like them and i use them.. ill have tons of sets with me so like i said before if anyone wants any let me know
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#23 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:14 AM

Further to what Alden said above,

I bought some 100lb Bridle line from Theresa and stripped the inside to use for sleeving some time ago. Gave a load of it to Monks at the Portsmouth festival, he merrily made it up into handle leaders to help out with the "fly with more brake" style that John was promoting at the clinic. Way to go Monks!!

I've gotten to be very handy at tying leaders at Clinics :D
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#24 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:48 AM

i have done the sleeveless method myself a while back and i like it .. the only reason i dont do it is because at times i have to sometimes do an onfield adjustment if a line stretches out of wack.. with the thin sleeves i tie the one knot to make the loop and within minutes i can untie it to readjust my lineset and be back flying .. as we all know lines are always stretching .. espically if you fly in heavy winds alot like i do..the sleeveless method is a good one but now that i have the thin sleeves i like them and i use them.. ill have tons of sets with me so like i said before if anyone wants any let me know

True enough Antman,
but without the sleeving you never have to untie anything!
(plus you couldn't anyway, if you used the figure of eight knot, which I highly recommend- it gets tighter from both directions so it can't move in either direction).

You simply take the longest out-of-wack line and add a doubled over-hand knot to shorten it ever so slightly.
(This knot can move, so you simply butt it up against either end of your loops. Get it close and then pull the legs apart to make it slide to the desired location)

At the end (where you'd attach to the bridle) you insert another figure of eight knot, so you have an easy to use release point from the pig-tails.

I haven't used sleeving in dozen years & never had a failure unless some single line kiter hacked me! ( i do carry a Kevlar line-set in case folks want to play rough)
Teresa can make-up your pre-made sets in this manner also, . . .... if you just ask her about it when ordering.

Attached Thumbnails

• no_sleeving_.jpg

#25 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

I got a 1000 foot roll of 200# braided Dacron 12 years ago. I use it for sleeving lines and to make my train lines, and still have over half the roll left. Works great, I have found that to keep the line from slipping insive the sleeve I knot both ends before making the loop. Last week I was making a set of 120's from a new spool of spectra. I made my 8 sleeves first, then slid all onto the line while sitting on the couch. When at the field I walked out the first 120 length and slid 6 sleeves past the mark. That way I wasnt trying to sleeve the line in the field, made it quick work of making the set.

Hi Kiteking,

we must be twins...

I do exactly the same, same bridle line. I advocate the make the Sleeve at home, also this works great for teams. All use the same sleeving & then just cut the spool of Laser Pro Gold to the same length, same person ties knots. Job Done.

Do go sleeveless, but Spectra does creep slightly when new so find adjustment with Sleeving easier.

Oh and Stephen plays guitar so plenty of G strings going spare.

Si

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#26 kiteking

kiteking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

also this works great for teams. All use the same sleeving & then just cut the spool of Laser Pro Gold to the same length, same person ties knots. Job Done.

Yea, the team thing is great, 1 to sleeve, one to cut, 1 to tie knots.

Now if I could get more team members besides myself, would work even easier
Wind to your back, Kite in the air.

MikeM
Brookings, OR

Posted Image ----- Posted Image ------- Posted Image Posted Image

----#518 ---------- #110883

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users