25 replies to this topic

#1 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

iwas playing around with some old bridles i had and found that they make great super thin sleeves.. much better then the thick bunchy ones i used to have.. the only lines ive seen with these are the 120 footers i got form theresa and the lines i quad uses.. here is a shot of a couple laced and ready to go on a lineset

104_1990.JPG

i know im not the first to do this but i recomend you all to try it youll love it.. they are much thinner then the shot taken here ..
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#2 boomzilla

boomzilla

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

i was playing around with some old bridles i had and found that they make great super thin sleeves.. much better then the thick bunchy ones i used to have.. the only lines ive seen with these are the 120 footers i got form theresa and the lines i quad uses.. here is a shot of a couple laced and ready to go on a lineset

104_1990.JPG

i know im not the first to do this but i recomend you all to try it youll love it.. they are much thinner then the shot taken here ..

theresa ties up great linesets, best i have ever seen....used to tie my own until trying her's...ultra thin sleeves is the stuff...have made a set of loops, that i attach, to make adjustments & takedown easier...g
glenn pickard
http://rifleart.com/

#3 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:16 PM

*Whistles!* Whoa those are thin!!!

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.com/LeshockArts
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

I love tight, thin sleeving... Makes for a better riding kite, imho.

It's the little things. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

well im gonna make a bunch of them .. so if i see any of you this year ill have some on hand for ya.. john b agreed there.. they also prevent snags when doing slack flying. espically axles

#6 kiteking

kiteking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

I got a 1000 foot roll of 200# braided Dacron 12 years ago. I use it for sleeving lines and to make my train lines, and still have over half the roll left. Works great, I have found that to keep the line from slipping insive the sleeve I knot both ends before making the loop. Last week I was making a set of 120's from a new spool of spectra. I made my 8 sleeves first, then slid all onto the line while sitting on the couch. When at the field I walked out the first 120 length and slid 6 sleeves past the mark. That way I wasnt trying to sleeve the line in the field, made it quick work of making the set.
Wind to your back, Kite in the air.

MikeM
Brookings, OR

Posted Image ----- Posted Image ------- Posted Image Posted Image

----#518 ---------- #110883

#7 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:52 PM

I prefer my lines like my shirts, Sleeveless B)
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#8 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

I hate the thick stuff.Its a real pain in the wet and bunches easy to.Thin is the way forward.

No Sleeveing is sumat ive ner tried,,,,,Mmm.Better/Worse ?

BRIAN...17GERUPS

#9 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:18 AM

I hate the thick stuff.Its a real pain in the wet and bunches easy to.Thin is the way forward.

No Sleeveing is sumat ive ner tried,,,,,Mmm.Better/Worse ?

BRIAN...17GERUPS

Never had a problem with no sleeving I've used it like that with my powerblast in 25 mph winds with no problems.

However I would suggest putting pick knots on the ends to make removal easier make sure they are tight and i add a drop of superglue just for piece of mind only never had one slip, Fact is I've had pick knots with sleeving slip many times I know many people who don't use sleeving and never heard any complaints so I'd say its 6 of 1 half dozen of another.

You can always try it if ya don't like it sleeve them up next time. ;)
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#10 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:52 AM

I prefer my lines like my shirts, Sleeveless B)

I'm in this camp.....with pick knots at the ends! Hmmm........must be an RI thing. ;)

That said, if compelling enuf a case were made, I'd say thin is in and would be the way to go. That thick stuff really bunches after much usage.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#11 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:23 AM

Hey Fort & Quaa, would you mind posting a photo of these sleeveless pick knots? I'm curious...

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.com/LeshockArts
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#12 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:46 AM

Hey Fort & Quaa, would you mind posting a photo of these sleeveless pick knots? I'm curious...

I can post a pic when I get home but really all it is, is a simple overhand knot at the top of the loop.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#13 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Johhny B Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:32 AM

Antman, I think the 100lb LPG bridle sleeving is what Theresa uses. That's what I started using because I hate the thick sleeving also. Now all of my linesets have this thin sleeving and I like it!

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#14 bobw

bobw

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:38 AM

How do you thread the specta into that sleeving?

As for the benefits of sleeving, it allows for a stronger line. Any sharp bend focuses the strain, so an unsleeved overhand knot typically will break at about 35% of the rated maximum force. Make a softer bend, and the max goes up, so sleeving should help quite a bit. If the bend goes to 2x diameter, an overhand will (sorry, might be a bit off, from memory here) should go to 45-50% strength.

Haven't tried it yet, climbers use a figure-8 knot since it raises the breaking strength to about 65%. And, from experience, after force is applied, they are a b*tch to untie, so I would imagine that slippage should be nominal.

Finally, there is something we use called "a keeper knot". Basically its an overhand knot with 2-loops. Take the free dangling excess line, tie an overhand around the line, but use 2-loops around the line, then tuck it under the loops, and then follow it out so it lies along the body of the line. The benefit of this is that its a cinching knot, and gets tighter if there is any slippage. I've bet my life on this many times, and if I can just get my fingers to do the work, I bet it would make a phenomenal, non-slipping knotting system.

#15 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:45 AM

alden your right .. i have a bunch or old bridles im gonna use for sleeveing all my linesets.. bye bye bunchy sleeves.. the only big sleeves im gonna leave on are on my heavier line sets. 250# over 150# for flying my blast and stacks

#16 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:21 AM

I could sit here all day long and extol the virtues of thin sleeving on lines and in particular, Theresa from the Kite Shoppe's line sets!

I used to spend time every few weeks dinking around with the thicker stuff due to creeping but, I never end up adjusting the thinly sleeved lines. Well worth the effort.
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#17 kiteking

kiteking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:35 AM

How do you thread the specta into that sleeving?

nice article

I had a sleeving kit I bought 30 years ago, recently broke, I used a old guitar string (high E) as replacement.
I burn the ends of the sleeve after they are on the wire so the ends don't close.
Wind to your back, Kite in the air.

MikeM
Brookings, OR

Posted Image ----- Posted Image ------- Posted Image Posted Image

----#518 ---------- #110883

#18 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:11 AM

Further to what Alden said above,

I bought some 100lb Bridle line from Theresa and stripped the inside to use for sleeving some time ago. Gave a load of it to Monks at the Portsmouth festival, he merrily made it up into handle leaders to help out with the "fly with more brake" style that John was promoting at the clinic. Way to go Monks!!

I have just had a look at some "T" lines and the lines I have made up using the Bridle line from her. Looks like the same skinny stuff.

Looks like Alden is correct. T makes wonderfull linesets, however if you want to make your own skinny leaders up, the 100lb bridle line is the stuff to use. Not only can you use it as spare if you have a bridle part, you can strip the inside to use as leader and of course if you have a clever Monkey around it can be made into handle leaders. Has a multiple of uses rather than buying it as sleeving.

In my opinion, for what it is worth, Theresa's lines ROCK.

#19 Scott A.

Scott A.

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:19 AM

Disclaimer" Some people just fly what they buy, some make em to fly,
Theresa's line sets are Awesome. PERIOD

Back in the day, they only sleeved with BIG bunchy sleeving. Theresa don't, and that's not for me!
My method was learned from long time competition flyers who could not afford any slippage or BREAKAGE, I have used this sleeveless method for the last upteen years and have had none of the problems, and as creepage goes, one simple tiny little knot, is a great way to adjust finely,. The Kite Shoppe lines are adjusted this way as well, one little extra knot as seen on the field by accomplished flyers!

I have been making lines sleeveless for years, No problems whatsoever!!

Using dual line kites (TRUCKS) I have tested the method, Quad lines are that much safer using four instead of just two. I think we do not push the breaking point very often in the proper/ most frequent of conditions, therefore this makes sense, If we put all the stress on the line it could handle maybe this would be a legitimate concern.
I used this method with 50lb line, where the threshold is small and I would not recommend it for some that might not know the limits. You should feel the lines, when they become wire and sing for you, you are pushing the envelope!

The Pick knot is two regular overhand knots, the first one about 1/4 inch in the loop, ( thus creating a super small loop to grasp) the second knot tightened up to the first knot, just to lock the spectra. Period. Spectra is just that, slippery, two knots needed, and is My opinion why people used sleeving to begin with.
I know some of the forum users have some of my linesets , Have you any problems with them??
Theresa's indoor sets, ( No sleeving) she just ties a little tiny extra loop onto the end of the sleeveless loop, providing for something to grasp.
Just me opinion.
Scott Weider
Team REV RIDERS

#20 jsking

jsking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:21 AM

With acknowledgement of the eternal "to sleeve or not to sleeve" difference of opinion....I've found that some simple 150# dacron line works well, also. The stuff I've been using is pretty thin and makes nice sleeving, IMO.

Which reminds me, I still need a 50# 120' set before the dog days of summer set in and I'm struggling with low wind days....
Jeff
Wings Over Washington
http://www.flickr.co...44623@N00/sets/

--------------------
Revus Regnum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users