7 replies to this topic

#1 kairusan

kairusan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

I hereby request a link to a video or sixty clearly demonstrating light wind flying techniques, specifically, that thing called "the float" that I've seen described in about 24 different places but can never seem to grasp from reading the narrative descriptions. (Something like making like you're shooting a bow and arrow? Or something? Yeah, can't manage to translate that one into a floaty kite that lets me gain back all the thousands of miles I've lost from walking backwards. Today, for example, I quite nearly walked backwards into a flock of angry geese that I had been desperately trying to avoid, all because I kept on hopelessly screwing up my alleged "floats.")

If no such video exists, surely one of our enterprising folk can whip one up? I promise that it will get at least one hit on YouTube!
kairusan

#2 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

Dude, sounds like the first float you need to learn is strait down.
Go to the top of YOUR window at the time and turn 180, and go full brake. Gently walk forwards. Adjust your walking speed to keep a slight tension on all four lines. After about 10 minutes or so you should start to understand the walking speed toword the kite as the LE is facing down and your at full brake. You'll learn how to make minimal controls with the handles while moving back and forth, (eventually ending up going side to side too). Something to think about is that eventually you'll start working on speed control, if your not already. By walking back when going up, or forward when going down while keeping your arms slightly above waist high and slightly infront of you, you'll find control is easier to get better at as you fly more. You'll notice a difference everytime.
I know this is a stretch for a recomendations as everyone has a style. But I have found that when flying the LE of the kite vertical, there is a specific angle the handles should be in to be as stable as can be while being at it's easiest ability of control. Most, including myself will suggest a 90 degree angle between both thumbs and pinkies. Held at about a 45 degree angle from your level eye line. When going horizontal to vertical with the leading edge only turn your wrists equal angles. So, if your handles for up and down are at about 45 degrees, then when you go side to side only turn your wrists 15 degrees. If your thinking about it, lol, the top wing hand will hold the handle perfectly horizonal. The down wing will be strait up and down. Lock the top hand into what ever move. (experience) and then you only adjust the down wing handle to fly what ever. Makes flying Revs a little easier, if you only have to fly with one hand.

Dean B)

#3 manny

manny

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:26 PM

Dude, sounds like the first float you need to learn is strait down.
Go to the top of YOUR window at the time and turn 180, and go full brake. Gently walk forwards. Adjust your walking speed to keep a slight tension on all four lines. After about 10 minutes or so you should start to understand the walking speed toword the kite as the LE is facing down and your at full brake. You'll learn how to make minimal controls with the handles while moving back and forth, (eventually ending up going side to side too). Something to think about is that eventually you'll start working on speed control, if your not already. By walking back when going up, or forward when going down while keeping your arms slightly above waist high and slightly infront of you, you'll find control is easier to get better at as you fly more. You'll notice a difference everytime.
I know this is a stretch for a recomendations as everyone has a style. But I have found that when flying the LE of the kite vertical, there is a specific angle the handles should be in to be as stable as can be while being at it's easiest ability of control. Most, including myself will suggest a 90 degree angle between both thumbs and pinkies. Held at about a 45 degree angle from your level eye line. When going horizontal to vertical with the leading edge only turn your wrists equal angles. So, if your handles for up and down are at about 45 degrees, then when you go side to side only turn your wrists 15 degrees. If your thinking about it, lol, the top wing hand will hold the handle perfectly horizonal. The down wing will be strait up and down. Lock the top hand into what ever move. (experience) and then you only adjust the down wing handle to fly what ever. Makes flying Revs a little easier, if you only have to fly with one hand.

Dean B)

This is the best description I've read so far. At least the first part. I still have a problem with the part starting at the handles at 45 degree, but if the God of wind (her name is Fluffy) smiles on me tomorrow i might figure it out.

#4 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:52 PM

Manny, ^ is the basic shape. Your thumbs, or the top of your handles are the peak. Pinkies or bottom of your handles are the outer most tips.

Dean

Your going to the Long Beach Clinic aren't ya? Thinking that if all else fails I will show you there. :D

Or you could drive over to Albany some weekend. Just a thought.

#5 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:37 AM

The handle and kite position of a person doing a slow high 360 indoors is similar to a float with the leading edge verticle, which I think is what Kairusan is asking about. The advantage to watching indoor videos is that you can see the flyer and the kite at the same time.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#6 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:42 PM

One way to do a light wind float is to put the kite into a vertical hover (leading edge approximately 90 to the ground) now push the lower wing's handle forward and the upper wing's handle back.

Next get it moving to add some lift and do horizontal passes while adjusting the offset on the handles to improve lift. When you get to the edge of the Window, accellerate the kite with a pump/quick step backwards and reverse the handle positions to go the other way. Be sure to gain ground using the kite's lift and gravity to keep the kite moving and prevent stalling.

In really light winds it helps to pump the kite high in the Window at the edge and then doing a horizontal pass at a slight downward angle, like you were doing exaggerated Lazy 8s.

#7 melnsct

melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

The handle and kite position of a person doing a slow high 360 indoors is similar to a float with the leading edge verticle, which I think is what Kairusan is asking about. The advantage to watching indoor videos is that you can see the flyer and the kite at the same time.

I hate to say it.............
.........but my husband has a good idea.
<it's bound to happen ocasionally>
Watch the videos of indoor flying..........
........that's VERY light wind.
and the techniques are SSOOOOO transferable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Melanie in Tennessee

#8 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:50 AM

kairusan,
the best way is to find a local flier to give you hand. There must be some in your area (speak up here folks!)

Or drive down to Huntington Beach for kite party. There will be plenty of rev fliers to give you a hand there.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users