Line Selection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 itsiceman

itsiceman
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:42 PM

I was looking for some advise with choosing line for two kites. I don't get them out very often and I don't know much about picking line length or type. First kite I have a mid 90's REV II and one side (two lines) failed at the same time after take off today with 15 mph wind  :cry: . The line set was origional and I think it is time for a new set. Is there any difference in choosing a length besides the obviovs distance between you and the kite? Second kite is a 6' Flexifoil. I don't even remember having a line set for this kite but I remember loving to fly it  :D .

#2 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:57 AM

I happen to have both of those also.

With the RevII my line choice is based on where I'm flying and the wind speed at the time. If I had to choose just 1 line set though I think I would go with 75' / 75#

For the 6' Flexi, I would go with 100' / 100 - 150#

These should give you decent middle wind range line sets that should cover you in the 6 - 15 mph range.

I also like blue line for its lack of stretch, slipperyness, and slightly smaller diameter.
Kip Clement
Apex (land of light and variable wind) NC

#3 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:32 AM

I don't know about the Flexi, but my preferences run a little longer and heavier than Kip.  When I fly my Rev 2's, I use 85' lines with about 100# strength.  And I echo Kip's thoughts on Blue Line.  Some people don't like it as much as other line, but for my, I like the lack of stretch and slipperiness also.

BTW, my avitar is a couple of my Rev 2's.

Doug
W.A.C.K.O.S. - Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society

#4 itsiceman

itsiceman
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:21 PM

Thank you for the info. We took a trip out east through the smokies. It would have been great to bring the kites on top of old smokie. Does any one know of a good place to buy line on-on line  :?:

#5 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

for the flexifoil 6 200 lb spectra will do fine and for the rev 2 80# 85 feet spectra those should do fine for you
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users