Photo

Old Artist New Masterpiece and they are great.........

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 JMZ

JMZ

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:14 AM

Thanks Derek, I'm looking at the Dragons now.

Is there a gallery of all of the Masterpiece Revs anywhere? Until very recently, I thought the series was limited to the half dozen that RevCo shows on this page... http://www.revkites....terpiece_Series

It would be glorious to have an archive page that pays tribute to the whole series.

#42 JMZ

JMZ

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:32 AM

Aha, there, I've got one: http://www.revkites....c...ost&id=1778

See, this is what i was looking to know. The Dragon is appliqué, but the white is not cut away? Is that typical of all of Barry's work? Is it typical for the other artists in the Masterpiece series?

I'd guess that the white base layer would still present the image well to a viewer downwind... does it mute the artwork very much?... and at what distance/lighting?

Can't wait until I can see some of these in person some day.

#43 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:05 AM

See, this is what i was looking to know. The Dragon is appliqué, but the white is not cut away? Is that typical of all of Barry's work? Is it typical for the other artists in the Masterpiece series?

Actually, in that photo the white is cut away everywhere but behind the black. While the kite would be a bit lighter without the extra fabric, but typically the masterpiece kites are a lot heavier than a B-series kite -- lots of extra seams, paint, etc. Plus, the kites tend not to be symmetrical. So while they still fly extremely well, they're not expected to perform as well as a stock B, let alone a Pro.

As for the other artists in the series, well, the sails are made by each individual artist! So they determine how the sail is sewn, how the applique, if any, is cut, and so forth. The only thing consistent, at least in the past, was the finishing by Rev. And I gather that the finishing has now been passed on to Bazzer for the improvements he's made.

#44 beach

beach

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

Actually, in that photo the white is cut away everywhere but behind the black. While the kite would be a bit lighter without the extra fabric, but typically the masterpiece kites are a lot heavier than a B-series kite -- lots of extra seams, paint, etc. Plus, the kites tend not to be symmetrical. So while they still fly extremely well, they're not expected to perform as well as a stock B, let alone a Pro.

As for the other artists in the series, well, the sails are made by each individual artist! So they determine how the sail is sewn, how the applique, if any, is cut, and so forth. The only thing consistent, at least in the past, was the finishing by Rev. And I gather that the finishing has now been passed on to Bazzer for the improvements he's made.

Your correct Bazzer does the finish work cause he is a master of his craft and we always try to go for the best..... Ben :blue-cool: :blue-cool:

#45 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

Ben,

I've often wondered what the back sides of the Masterpiece kites look like... any chance you could show pictures of the reverse of these?

And... they are amazingly complex and superbly executed designs!! Nice job, Mr Gibian! (PS - your Rising Phoenix has been my favourite Masterpiece so far)

John

Here is a close up pic of my "Old Glory" by Bazzer that shows the backside of the Star field.
Old_Glory_detail.JPG

As has been already noted by Mr Burka, most masterpiece kites are slightly unbalanced. This one due to the stars, extra stitching, etc but its frigging beautiful and flies sweetly too.
In reality, we all compensate for imbalances, etc as a normal function of flying. For example, how many of us in here HAVEN'T flown with uneven knot settings and then realized we were compensating unknowingly? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Edited by quaa714, 23 October 2009 - 09:51 AM.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#46 JMZ

JMZ

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

Here is a close up pic of my "Old Glory" by Bazzer that shows the backside of the Star field.

Thanks Q! Beautiful!

As has been already noted by Mr Burka, most masterpiece kites are slightly unbalanced. This one due to the stars, extra stitching, etc but its frigging beautiful and flies sweetly too.
In reality, we all compensate for imbalances, etc as a normal function of flying. For example, how many of us in here HAVEN'T flown with uneven knot settings and then realized we were compensating unknowingly? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I'm a 16 hour newb and line length doesn't affect meat all. Twice already I've had to resleeve for uneven stretch and I never noticed it until I checked the lines. At first I truly believed that balance was -absolutely- important, but I see clearly now that it is only hyper-relevant when getting started.

I agree 100% about compensating.

Is "Old Glory" a one-off?

Edited by JMZ, 23 October 2009 - 10:52 AM.

#47 JMZ

JMZ

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:49 AM

Actually, in that photo the white is cut away everywhere but behind the black.

Holy Moly!!!! You're absolutely right Jeff. I guess my eye was pulled to the sunglasses so much that I didn't notice the blue panels were back-cut.

HAHAHA... have you seen the little Revs in each of the sunglass lenses! Great detail Barry!

While the kite would be a bit lighter without the extra fabric, but typically the masterpiece kites are a lot heavier than a B-series kite -- lots of extra seams, paint, etc. Plus, the kites tend not to be symmetrical. So while they still fly extremely well, they're not expected to perform as well as a stock B, let alone a Pro.

My expectation has been that the MP kites would fly well... better than an EXP I imagine. But I never expected that they would fly like an F1 B-Pro.

Totally!

hahaha... guess who (CHEEEZ GROMMIT!)?:
Posted Image

#48 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

Thanks Q! Beautiful!

Is "Old Glory" a one-off?

Old Glory is not a one off. I don't remember the exact number Bazzer made but I know there are at least 6 for sure.
Bazz, wanna jump in here and answer definitively?

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#49 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:16 PM

Hi JMZ-

Here's a few for you-

IMG_4850.JPG
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#50 JMZ

JMZ

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:18 AM

Laura... merci, merci !!!

#51 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:33 AM

Laura... merci, merci !!!

Hi JMZ-
You are very welcome. B)
Laura

Posted Image

#52 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

Hi JMZ-

Here's a few for you-

IMG_4850.JPG

great to see the horse in the liberty shot .. i hope all of you know that when this kite is out you know who is holding the lines of it :)
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#53 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

great to see the horse in the liberty shot .. i hope all of you know that when this kite is out you know who is holding the lines of it :)

Hi Antman-
... but, of course!!! Who else COULD it be? :wub:
Laura

Posted Image

#54 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

glad to see you remembered
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#55 beach

beach

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

Hi JMZ-

Here's a few for you-

IMG_4850.JPG

Love these photo guys and gals, just really nice.... Ben :blue-cool: :blue-cool: :blue-cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users