Photo

Frame Stress From High Winds

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Poll: Rev Arcana Poll Version 1.0 alpha (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Which parts of the Rev 1.5's frame are most apt to be riven asunder by the raw elemental fury of high winds?

1. The vertical spars. (24 votes [55.81%])

Percentage of vote: 55.81%

2. The leading edge spars. (11 votes [25.58%])

Percentage of vote: 25.58%

3. liek who carez LOL (8 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:40 AM

Posted Image I'm always willing to escalate this sort of thing.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#62 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:30 AM

Posted Image I'm always willing to escalate this sort of thing.

The Green Race rods seemed to spring back more quickly after stress/gusts in the JB Pro Vented today...

I still do not have a weight comparison between Green and Standard Race!

Felix

#63 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:21 AM

...I still do not have a weight comparison between Green and Standard Race!

Felix

I have a nice, accurate digital scale that covers this range of weights. Now, if anyone would like to send me a set of each, I would certainly be glad to weigh them and let you know... Posted Image

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#64 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

And you'll return them in due time??!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#65 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:55 AM

I have a nice, accurate digital scale that covers this range of weights. Now, if anyone would like to send me a set of each, I would certainly be glad to weigh them and let you know... Posted Image

<grins>

I guess someone will deal with this in due course...

Felix

#66 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:42 AM

Couldn't Revolution supply you with the actual weight, of the different rod types? Weighing one individual set of rods, really isn't very accurate, as I am sure there is a bit of variation, within individual rods, as well as from rod to rod. The best case scenario, would be for someone, with access to lots and lots of rods, to weight at least a 25, or 50, or even 100 rods, all at one time, and then do the math to come up with a realistic average weight per rod. Then you need to do the same thing with the ferrules, which are used in the center sections, so that two of those weights, could be added to 5 of the rod weights, to come up with an accurate weight for a set (whatever set you may be interested in)..............

Seems like some information, that the quality control area, at Revolution Kites, should have privy to, (or Ben), if that isn't proprietary information...........

Just a suggestion.............Posted Image

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#67 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:00 PM

Couldn't Revolution supply you with the actual weight,
<snip>
Seems like some information, that the quality control area, at Revolution Kites, should have privy to, (or Ben), if that isn't proprietary information...........
Just a suggestion.............Posted Image

My question was 'rhetorical' as I have every confidence in the company providing kit with good reason.

The 'spring time' of the standard and green Race Rods seems to be a case in point. Good job Ben... I like the 'snap back' of the green rods. especially as compared to the bamboo equivalent...

The actual physics can, EDIT <I presume>, 'obviously' be substantiated.

Felix

#68 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

{ how to get a realistic weight for a set of rods }

I will offer a guess that this isn't something that has already been done. It isn't really required for QA (although testing for a rod with the weight really off would be a good easy test for a number of faults). This sort of information usually only gets collected when someone gets curious. Once the information does get collected, very often someone will discover something useful to do with it.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#69 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:12 PM

Ummmmm ...... I hadn't really thought that far into the future. ....... Really Posted Image

After all, it might take years to find the scale. Posted Image
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#70 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

I will offer a guess that this isn't something that has already been done. It isn't really required for QA (although testing for a rod with the weight really off would be a good easy test for a number of faults). This sort of information usually only gets collected when someone gets curious. Once the information does get collected, very often someone will discover something useful to do with it.

Ummmmm ...... I hadn't really thought that far into the future. ....... Really Posted Image

After all, it might take years to find the scale. Posted Image

Aha! So the scales may not be immediately to hand? <grins>.

Never mind, I have not got spare sets of rods to send off for testing so I will 'stick' to anecdotal responses for the time being.

If necessary we will re-build the 'bamboo' framed kite that flew in Vienna all those years ago. I suspect that the original kite is still hanging on a wall in that fair city...

Felix

#71 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

I'd like to buy a cyber-drink for the 7 folks who answered "liek who carez LOL" on the poll attached to this topic. :kid_smartass:

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#72 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

I'd like to buy a cyber-drink for the 7 folks who answered "liek who carez LOL" on the poll attached to this topic. :kid_smartass:

Heck; I'll buy a real one for the first 7 who corner me at some kite fest (and remind me that I said so). Throw one in for you, too, John.

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#73 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:09 PM

I'd like to buy a cyber-drink for the 7 folks who answered "liek who carez LOL" on the poll attached to this topic. Posted Image

Heck John, You ought to be able to find out that information, if it's been generated, and again, if it isn't proprietary information...........Posted Image

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

#74 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:30 AM

Heck; I'll buy a real one for the first 7 who corner me at some kite fest (and remind me that I said so). Throw one in for you, too, John.

Hey, how about me ? Just kidding Pete. Why does "Felix" want the weights of the race rods? Is it just because he sees a difference in their performance, or is it a weight thing? Posted Image

Posted Image just for you Posted Image and just kidding you Posted Image

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

#75 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:39 AM

Was it me trying to find everything I could about green vs regular Race Rods, I think I'd grab a set of each in either hand and "bounce" them. Then I'd swap hands and "bounce" them again. If I couldn't tell the difference, I would judge them to be "close enough". (Bouncing and swapping lets you compare weights fairly accurately. For remote comparison, you need accurate scales.)

Then I'd arrange a couple of blocks about rod-length minus an inch apart, and lay a rod across and hang a weight from the middle with a loop of kiteline. Lay a straight-edge across the rod and measure the deflection. Then do the same with the other race rod. Compare the deflections. If you want to be able to compare with other people remotely, the distance between the blocks and the amount of weight should be specified.

I'm willing to do what I can locally, but as I said, no race rods here. I could weigh and deflect 3-wrap and 4-wrap rods, as well as the T300 Hi-Modulus rods from my old Rev I.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#76 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

Was it me trying to find everything I could about green vs regular Race Rods, I think I'd grab a set of each in either hand and "bounce" them. Then I'd swap hands and "bounce" them again. If I couldn't tell the difference, I would judge them to be "close enough". (Bouncing and swapping lets you compare weights fairly accurately. For remote comparison, you need accurate scales.)

Then I'd arrange a couple of blocks about rod-length minus an inch apart, and lay a rod across and hang a weight from the middle with a loop of kiteline. Lay a straight-edge across the rod and measure the deflection. Then do the same with the other race rod. Compare the deflections. If you want to be able to compare with other people remotely, the distance between the blocks and the amount of weight should be specified.

I'm willing to do what I can locally, but as I said, no race rods here. I could weigh and deflect 3-wrap and 4-wrap rods, as well as the T300 Hi-Modulus rods from my old Rev I.

Ok, gottcha! I hadn't read back far enough.................. Posted Image

Oh, I only got regular race rods (no green ones), and then of course, 2-wraps, 3-wraps, & 4-wraps, so I can't help. Posted Image

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

#77 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:16 AM

Reef - I'm in that same boat!! No "greenies"!!:kid_cussing:

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#78 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:18 AM

Reef - I'm in that same boat!! No "greenies"!!Posted Image

Is there suppose to be a difference Posted Image Posted Image I haven't really seen anything on the Rev website about them Posted Image Posted Image

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

#79 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:36 AM

The site hasn't been updated in a while from what I can see!!:) The "greenies" are supposed to be "stronger"?? Kent has a post about them (AWOC), and some pics taken!! I'm going by the comments on this forum, myself!!:)

wayne from portland

AKA member

#80 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

The site hasn't been updated in a while from what I can see!!Posted Image The "greenies" are supposed to be "stronger"?? Kent has a post about them (AWOC), and some pics taken!! I'm going by the comments on this forum, myself!!Posted Image

I'll check it out.................though, I think it's going to take more than a set of rods, to help me !! Posted Image

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users