Photo

Successful Multiline Comps = better asset management!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 TeeCee

TeeCee
  • Forum Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:46 PM

Ah, I love it when things come back on topic. Asset management!

Competitors are part of that 'community' vibe, too. So that they can get their groove on, would you non-competitor folks step up and staff at events; learn how to judge and Field Direct so your competitor buds can relax and be their best?

#42 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:11 AM

See, now there in lies the rub Tee Cee.

I have no problem as a volunteer when I can to help set up, break down, pound stakes & flags, lug kites, banners, equipment, etc to and from the field, early in the morning and late after sunset. I'm happy to come really early or stay really late, but not at the expense of giving up what I really came out to do in the first place!
When that breeze starts calling my name, there's really only one place I'd rather be. Either flying alone with my ipod on, off on my own or in line with one two three or 10 people, laughing my ass off with my friends or making new ones.

I have absolutely no interest in competing. That would require taking a serious approach to all the required components previously documented by others. The idea of having to take what is total enjoyment when I have the time to ESCAPE to it and turn it into what amounts to another JOB (with no income other than a trophy and some acknowledgment from others) has no appeal.
My life is already way to involved and stressful for me in the real world making a living and providing for my family.
Kiting is my time to relax and unwind, and to be absolutely uncommitted to anything except having that good time is far more appealing.

That said, I have watched a number of competitions to see they style of the competitors and learn new things. I've also watched with great interest, the judging in a subjective way to get an understanding of what it is they look for. I totally get the need for competition and the desire to achieve and the thrill of victory as well as the defeat and knowledge of coming up just a little short with the idea of getting back at the next comp. Great for those who want that.
What I wasn't crazy about was the boredom of the music I didn't like, the down time between routines, potential arguments of judging calls, but most of all was the just standing around.
I come to the field to do one thing and one thing only, fly!!!! Anyone that knows me, knows I take very little in the way of breaks. I really DO just want to fly.
So, if I'm standing in the middle of a field or beach and on one side there is laughing and people in line flying and learning and laughing and crashing and laughing some more, I'm gonna be more drawn to that then the comp field.

I love watching the teams do their routines and it's clear how much interest those demos generate amongst spectators. Very dramatic and lots of oohs and ahhs, no doubt. A win for the sport of kiting because of the peaked interest.
Team comps.....very cool too. But after watching one or two, guess where I'd rather be???? Out there on the field flying with my friends laughing and having fun, trying those manuevers, messing them up, trying them again, getting it and high fiving each other.

It's not a matter of respect or lack thereof for all those that compete, or the process that gets those competitions from concept to finality. It is also not a matter of my not helping out as a judge, etc. so the competitors can relax and be their best. They understand what is required of them to compete, from the discipline of practice, the needed time away from work to travel to and the cost of getting to the events and the need for them to judge their events when they are not competing. It is a clear choice on their parts. It doesn't mean I don't respect them for what they do. Rather, I have gleaned much from their efforts.
But for me it's clear, I give back to the kiting community in ways that make me feel comfortable and good about what I've done. Weather it be volunteering for set up and break down at an event, to teaching someone how to fly, to directing that someone to a purchase of a new kite, or donating money to a kiting charity or an organization to promote kiting.

Whew! I gotta go..........."the wind in the willow plays tea for two", time to go fly!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#43 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

I don't like competitions because it always takes up precious flying space being roped off and told "you can't fly here" unless your registered for competing. Yeah OK I traveled all this distance spent all this money only to be told that?

However, roping off certain areas for SLK's Duals and Quad is a good idea @ festivals nothing like a $4 kite zipping across and slicing up a set of $60 lines.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#44 kytgrl

kytgrl
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:53 AM

Jeff and I have been in the competition scene for around ten years now competing in dual-line individuals, pairs, and team. We decided to retire from that a couple years ago and see if we could find the FUN again. This is our hobby, and this is what we use to get the stress out of our system from work. We took the summer to add quad flying to our skills. We discovered that FUN this weekend participating in the Rev clinic with iQuad and flying mega flys all weekend. Wow! Was that fun. Having the spectators oooohh and aahhh was the icing on the cake.

Waiting in line for your time to compete took flying time away. If you're helping judge and staff the field, that takes a lot of flying time away. It's just not fun. I do know there's people out there that need that to enjoy it, so I don't condemn you at all. Jeff needed that at first, so that was my only reason for competing. I just loved flying no matter what.

But I can say now that we're back to enjoying flying again and flying with all our friends instead of going off in our corner to work on our comp. routine. We're even sharing more with our dual lines with our friends trying to help others learn more about dual-line flying now also. We just have more time to share the fun now that we're not worried about getting ready for a comp.

I'll take the applause from spectators over a score from an assortment of kite fliers any day!!!

Donna
P.S. Thanks for all the fun iQuad

#45 Scott A.

Scott A.

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

Jeff and I have been in the competition scene for around ten years now competing in dual-line individuals, pairs, and team. We decided to retire from that a couple years ago and see if we could find the FUN again. This is our hobby, and this is what we use to get the stress out of our system from work. We took the summer to add quad flying to our skills. We discovered that FUN this weekend participating in the Rev clinic with iQuad and flying mega flys all weekend. Wow! Was that fun. Having the spectators oooohh and aahhh was the icing on the cake.

Waiting in line for your time to compete took flying time away. If you're helping judge and staff the field, that takes a lot of flying time away. It's just not fun. I do know there's people out there that need that to enjoy it, so I don't condemn you at all. Jeff needed that at first, so that was my only reason for competing. I just loved flying no matter what.

But I can say now that we're back to enjoying flying again and flying with all our friends instead of going off in our corner to work on our comp. routine. We're even sharing more with our dual lines with our friends trying to help others learn more about dual-line flying now also. We just have more time to share the fun now that we're not worried about getting ready for a comp.

I'll take the applause from spectators over a score from an assortment of kite fliers any day!!!

Donna
P.S. Thanks for all the fun iQuad

Donna,

Seems like the circle is complete, ( NOW BURST) team flying is just that much more fun and easy to get the crowd oohing and ahhing instead of when dual lines kites (NO reverse) have so many near misses. and just hanging on in a big wind. It takes some serious dedication to fly dual line team, Quad line with Brakes and Reverse, the learning curve is quicker and does not takes hundreds of hours just to look decent having FUN! Way to go. Enjoy that TEXAS warm.
From up here, where it is not to get over 32 Degrees for the next 72 hours and 6 inches of freshly fallen snow on the ground! ;)
Scott Weider
Team REV RIDERS

#46 beach

beach

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

Okay here's my two cents, when I go out it's for me and if other people watch it is all the better but I just love to fly..... B)
I have never competed so on that I have no knowledge if I'd like it and as for team flying I don't do much of that for a
few reasons and one being it's not what I do, I just fly and here and there one of you end up beside me for a bit and then
we just fly...... :blue-cool: My greatest joy comes from sharing and teaching others how much fun this sport really is
and in between I just have fun :blue-cool: , maybe I'm just not able to wrap my head around the whole team thing or
the competition thing and truth be told I really don't fly that well..... :sly: As for helping I will and do what I can, but
for me I don't really want to judge but if you need a hand and I'm not doing what I do I am always willing to help in
some other ways..... :blue-cool: So here's my 2 cents, compete if you like it, team fly if you like it, :blue-music: fly by yourself if thats what you like, or teach others if thats what you like, no matter what have fun and if your having fun
for some reason that always seems to spread to others.....
competitor
teacher
team flier
soul flier

just having fun,,,,,,,, yeah thats me.......Ben :blue-cool: :blue-cool:

(my 2 cents)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP3780_2.JPG

#47 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

I like to fly quads more than just about anything else, still an occasional competition is fun for me too.

I am a "soul flier", more than likely I'm not familiar with the music that is being played while I'm out there! I'm not concerned with the judges' score sheets or even my fellow competitors' opinions. I'm out there for my four minutes of glory and you have to watch me!

It doesn't matter if I get 8.9 points or 89 (I've had both, and recently in MMB regionals!) The real fun is learning how others do it, . . .... their musical selections and carefully diagrammed routines occasionally are boring. There's a certain style of performance that is judged superior. That doesn't sit too well with me. I'd rather do it my own way, even if nobody else appreciates my efforts. I've used a six pack stack of baby ryvs flown to Stevie Ray Vaughn. I've burned cigar holes in both a custom Tirips as well as my "stealth Supersonic" when the kite I wanted to use was NOT appropriate for that day's conditions. I've flown on 120s and also 50 feet of string.

My main concern is to keep competing a fun activity. Somebody's gotta lose, more than likely it will be me! That's okay, my ego can take it. I don't read the rules, so I've been DQ'd a couple of times. I don't want to score, judge, field direct or witness the other participant's efforts. I just want to hang-out near 'em so I can use their music while I entertain the crowds. I prefer short lines and an aggressive flying style. I'm thrilled when kids gasp and scream, or chase my kites. I have been known to teach lessons on 17 inch handles with 40 feet of line on a beach packing big wind. That is all the more fun if the student is a waist-high warrior!

I will work, honor my commitments and haul my share, but I'm not going to become a Jim Cosca either. My dear friend and birthday-buddy shows-up, works his tail-feathers off all weekend and didn't even have any free-time to goof-off and socialize. I appreciate his commitment to the sport, but I can't get "up" for that personally. Plus, I probably paid my own way, full-boat, . . .... so I should get to play more than the sponsored laborers.

Competition is great fun, you don't have to arrive expecting to win, thereby making it memorable. Just go out there and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about a thing, no lives or careers are in danger if you don't bring home "the wood". Smile, put on your show! We'll see you at the next event and can laugh together there too.

Okay,
you're right!,... what a selfish pig I am!

no wonder the wife says:
"everyone knows you & few people actually LIKE you"

#48 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:40 PM

Well said Paul! :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#49 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:40 PM

Well said on all accounts Paul (won't touch the wife comment tho)!!!!!!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#50 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

Okay here's my two cents, when I go out it's for me and if other people watch it is all the better but I just love to fly..... B)
I have never competed so on that I have no knowledge if I'd like it and as for team flying I don't do much of that for a
few reasons and one being it's not what I do, I just fly and here and there one of you end up beside me for a bit and then
we just fly...... :blue-cool: My greatest joy comes from sharing and teaching others how much fun this sport really is
and in between I just have fun :blue-cool: , maybe I'm just not able to wrap my head around the whole team thing or
the competition thing and truth be told I really don't fly that well..... :sly: As for helping I will and do what I can, but
for me I don't really want to judge but if you need a hand and I'm not doing what I do I am always willing to help in
some other ways..... :blue-cool: So here's my 2 cents, compete if you like it, team fly if you like it, :blue-music: fly by yourself if thats what you like, or teach others if thats what you like, no matter what have fun and if your having fun
for some reason that always seems to spread to others.....
competitor
teacher
team flier
soul flier

just having fun,,,,,,,, yeah thats me.......Ben :blue-cool: :blue-cool:

(my 2 cents)

I just read the last page here... and I do understand why people would rather just go fly.. it does take time to compete.. no doubt. I think there are more times this past year where I have asked myself why I am doing it..because I enjoy going out and flying on my own, or on the line.. a lot.
I think the answer for me is that it has pushed me to learn new things and pushed me to be better ( ok ok, lol I know I have a long way to go so no cracks please lol ) .

I also remember one of the first times I ever flew on the line between John and Steve, and while trying to keep up with John, while Stevie kept bumping my kite lol, looking at John and saying * JOHN>> I CAN"T do thatttttt! *. And in all honesty, I couldn't lol.. but John pushed me to try it anyway, and just hang in there and while I am by no means at the level they are, I can hop on a line and not rip 5 people out of the sky ... (thinking back to WSKIF a few years back.)
Again, its the challenge that pushed me to learn, and I am usually intrigued by being challenged. On the other hand, I love to just go out and do a fun demo and maybe give someone a smile...
I don't know about anyone else, but I have found that if I go too long without flying, I start to feel really .. bad lol So I think it's a real release to go out and just play as well.
just my 4 cents...

#51 mdilucca

mdilucca

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

I just read the last page here... and I do understand why people would rather just go fly.. it does take time to compete.. no doubt. I think there are more times this past year where I have asked myself why I am doing it..because I enjoy going out and flying on my own, or on the line.. a lot.
I think the answer for me is that it has pushed me to learn new things and pushed me to be better ( ok ok, lol I know I have a long way to go so no cracks please lol ) .

I also remember one of the first times I ever flew on the line between John and Steve, and while trying to keep up with John, while Stevie kept bumping my kite lol, looking at John and saying * JOHN>> I CAN"T do thatttttt! *. And in all honesty, I couldn't lol.. but John pushed me to try it anyway, and just hang in there and while I am by no means at the level they are, I can hop on a line and not rip 5 people out of the sky ... (thinking back to WSKIF a few years back.)
Again, its the challenge that pushed me to learn, and I am usually intrigued by being challenged. On the other hand, I love to just go out and do a fun demo and maybe give someone a smile...
I don't know about anyone else, but I have found that if I go too long without flying, I start to feel really .. bad lol So I think it's a real release to go out and just play as well.
just my 4 cents...

Hey Amy, I totally agree with your comments. The problem is now $$$ to continue doing it, as we all know... ;)

Cheers
Mario

Cheers

Mario

Island_quad_logoSmall_50_zps817bf301.jpg

#52 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

Hey Amy, I totally agree with your comments. The problem is now $$$ to continue doing it, as we all know... ;)

Cheers
Mario

lmao omg I saw your name and all I could think was ..... he is one of the poor people I took down at WSKIF 4 years ago hahahaa..

true that, we need to win the lottery... fast!!!
cheers back at ya!

#53 John F

John F

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:00 AM

lmao omg I saw your name and all I could think was ..... he is one of the poor people I took down at WSKIF 4 years ago hahahaa..

true that, we need to win the lottery... fast!!!
cheers back at ya!

Amy
You, Dave, Mario, and Connor and all the rest better be saving your pennies and competing. We will be there.

#54 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

Amy
You, Dave, Mario, and Connor and all the rest better be saving your pennies and competing. We will be there.

You can bet Connor and I will be at as much as we can this year... Let me know which you are going to, we will make sure we are there as well...
hugs
Amy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users