11 replies to this topic

#1 FLY TILL YOU DIE

FLY TILL YOU DIE

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

While watching the innaugration this morning,I saw a shot of the capital with a beautiful blue sky and flags flowing! Would'nt it have been great if somehow Lynn & Jim Foster's RW & B weave kites and Bazzer's Old Glory kites could have been flying in the sky ;Would have been a good start to a new year!

JOHN

#2 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:56 AM

Yeh,caught a little myself.

Would have been better if Obama was fly along withum,,, :)He.Seems like he could be a kite flyer

BRIAN...35GERUPS

#3 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

While watching the innaugration this morning,I saw a shot of the capital with a beautiful blue sky and flags flowing! Would'nt it have been great if somehow Lynn & Jim Foster's RW & B weave kites and Bazzer's Old Glory kites could have been flying in the sky ;Would have been a good start to a new year!

JOHN

Would've loved to fly Old Glory today. Alas, work called. Maybe for a half hour if I get home early enough and it isn't dark yet. til then, enjoy this pic from TI.........glories.jpg

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#4 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

wasn't it a 'no fly zone' within 50 miles of Washington?? . . . .
Thinking about a stack . . .

For life outside of kiting please read my Lymphoma Charity Blog:
http://www.marti-tho...0.blogspot.com/

#5 chuck3

chuck3
  • Forum Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:55 AM

wasn't it a 'no fly zone' within 50 miles of Washington?? . . . .

For airplanes...lol i don't think they would count a kite as a threat...but i think obama would love to see a rev fly...i think he would like it...Or just don't get caught with the rev...fly on short lines

and i was in school during this whole swore in thing...i wish i was flying, there was great wind outside when i was in school, then when i get out it stops....
chuck

#6 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

For airplanes...lol i don't think they would count a kite as a threat...but i think obama would love to see a rev fly...i think he would like it...Or just don't get caught with the rev...fly on short lines

and i was in school during this whole swore in thing...i wish i was flying, there was great wind outside when i was in school, then when i get out it stops....

Sorry Chuck3, thats life ....

but it makes they days when the wind is good so much better :-)

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

watched it today and hoped for the same .. a rwb rev would have been a big hit
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#8 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:03 AM

Yeh,He has given folk a reason to feel good again hasnt he.The coverage here in the UK has been very Positive.Hes caught the imagination of a Generation.A yunger Generation also,i think.

Hes gota be a Kiter,im sure of it.Its Given Americans a reason to be proud again and smile.Thats my take on it from a Brits perspective.

Yeh,hes a Rev flyer,just doesnt realise he is yet.

BRIAN...34GERUPS

#9 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:02 AM

I'd be thrilled to get the president involved in my addiction, heck for him I might even donate an "Old Glory"

Well, maybe we can hook Obama's children with a invite to the Smithsonian Kite Festival, it is across the street from his new residence at the end of March,
or maybe the indoor fly within the Nat'l Air & Space Museum, held the week before?

Security is tough at the Washington Monument grounds ANYTIME though, these last few days it has been especially extraordinary.

I fly down on the mall grounds once a month and regardless of the weather or other activities planned (there's always something going on!) it means up before dawn and down there parked before 7:00 AM. For many events it's arrive before five or don't drive!

You aren't allowed to shake hands with security personnel (remember Anthrax?), . . . imagine trying to schedule a fun fly with the Presidential Family!

It takes several trips to different offices (National Park Service, DC Police, Secret Service & FAA) just to plan a kite festival there.
It is managed by the Smithsonian Associates and this year's will be their 42nd , still it's a logistical nightmare!!!!

At one time kite flying was illegal (facing criminal prosecution) on the mall, before Paul Gauber got the laws changed!

Wings Over Washington kite club would have loved to have been flying RED/White/Blue yesterday,
but WHERE would we acquire flying space with two million folks surrounding us?

#10 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:17 AM

I'd be thrilled to get the president involved in my addiction, heck for him I might even donate an "Old Glory"

Well, maybe we can hook Obama's children with a invite to the Smithsonian Kite Festival, it is across the street from his new residence at the end of March,
or maybe the indoor fly within the Nat'l Air & Space Museum, held the week before?

Security is tough at the Washington Monument grounds ANYTIME though, these last few days it has been especially extraordinary.

I fly down on the mall grounds once a month and regardless of the weather or other activities planned (there's always something going on!) it means up before dawn and down there parked before 7:00 AM. For many events it's arrive before five or don't drive!

You aren't allowed to shake hands with security personnel (remember Anthrax?), . . . imagine trying to schedule a fun fly with the Presidential Family!

It takes several trips to different offices (National Park Service, DC Police, Secret Service & FAA) just to plan a kite festival there.
It is managed by the Smithsonian Associates and this year's will be their 42nd , still it's a logistical nightmare!!!!

At one time kite flying was illegal (facing criminal prosecution) on the mall, before Paul Gauber got the laws changed!

Wings Over Washington kite club would have loved to have been flying RED/White/Blue yesterday,
but WHERE would we acquire flying space with two million folks surrounding us?

Hello Paul,are ya popping over to Kite Party Mate ? We could fly those Stars and Stripes with The Good Old Union Jack mate.

Sad part about the world is the Security stuff,i hear ya on that Paul.Its a Mad World.But change is afoot i reckon.....

BRIAN...34GERUPS

#11 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

unfortunately another KiteParty will pass without my involvement Brian. I would so love to be there on Huntington Beach though, it's just my cup of tea for a fun kiting activity! Perfect wind and always appreciative spectators.

I just had my right knee repaired, so I can't travel easily or run around too much yet. My next gig is the Maryland Kite Society's builder retreat over president's day weekend. I'm teaching Rev modifications from the attached PDFs

Attached Files

#12 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

Shame that Paul.

Getwell very soon old chap :) .

BRIAN...34GERUPS

0 user(s) are reading this topic