6 replies to this topic

#1 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 05:47 AM

Hi all, I am fairly new to Rev kites but allready "hooked" I currently have an EXP, Rev1 and 2 Rev 2's which I am thinking of stacking.

My question. My Rev 1 is an early one with the aluminium inserts in the end caps and the spring clips on the end of the lines. Now I KNOW that ALL revs fly with equal length lines (exept the early ones :oops: ) so first thing I did was make all the lines the same length. Of course then I find that they should not be (after throwing the trimmed bits on the fire :cry: ).

Can anyone please tell me the difference in the lengths for the early Rev 1 lines so that I can add a bit to the bridle of the correct length. I have also taken the clips off so that I can larkshead the lines.

Information greatfully acceped.

Seasons stuff and all that,

Another point, working = wind
                    day off = flat calm

Chris.

#2 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:13 PM

as far as i can remember all the rev 1 lines from the early day untill noe all have the same length so i dont see nothing diffrent with anything from the 1989 rev 1 till now
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#3 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 05:45 PM

*bzzzzzzzzzzt*

Wrong, antman.

Early Rev 1s did in fact have different lengths on the top and bottom but, for the life of me, I can't remember what the difference is supposed to be. 6 inches seems to stick in my mind but, thats likely not accurate.

My advice would be just to replace the bridle.
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#4 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 09:45 AM

Baloo,
Welcome to the world of Revs. It just keeps getting better and better the more you fly

The fix is really simple. Leave the bridle on the Rev 1 alone. Leave your lines equal length. Use longer knotted pigtails on the handles, top and bottom and you will be able to adjust your line length to suit the older Rev 1, and the lines will still be set for the newer revs.

Good luck and good flying.
Kip Clement
Apex (land of light and variable wind) NC

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:12 AM

I went through this over 12 years ago with my first REV I which had flying lines of different lengths for the upper and lower lines, which of course fit my first REV I perfectly. Then I got my 2nd REV I which required same length lines. As I learned all futures REVs would have the lines to the same length for all lines, I altered my first REV I bridle for the same length lines.

I would suggest attaching at least 6in long pigtails to first  the upper and and then the lower bridle points to determine which one needs to be longer. When you have determined which one need lengthening, leave them at the correct point.

Pigtails on the handles are useful for a number of other purposes such as:
- minor adjustments for line lengths differences. e.g. stretching
- minor adjustments for different bridles on different REVs.
- changes of wind strengths
- tricks
- personal preference
- etc

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:15 AM

Just missed a Supersonic on Ebay!!

Your idea makes sense Kip. Would be good to have some idea of how much I need to allow though.

I tried to experiment with your idea today, unfortunatly no wind at all. Now while I am at work I can be sure there is just the right wind. Strange that.

Have bought all my Revs off Ebay, unfortunatly the Rev 1 has a split in the mesh between the sail and the mesh. As it is an early one Lolly tells me it would be difficult to repair. I will keep flying it till it wont!!

Cheers, Chris.

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 11:30 AM

you probably right monkey you would know better then me sine i startrd flying revs in 96 but ive always seen them at the shore i can ask my buddy that owns our local kiteshop he has been a rev dealer for the longest time ill get back to you when i find out
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users