32 replies to this topic

#1 stryker2

stryker2

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 08:20 PM

Since purchasing my very 1st. Rev this past summer (1.5 SLE), I have since acquired a beautiful custom colour Rev 1.5 vented, as well as a beautiful used REV 1 Sedgewick (Thanks "monkey")
and now planning to get a Supersonic.
Any tips and or suggestions?
Thanking You in advance

Steve

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:30 AM

Here's a addition,
thread some 100# high-test bridle line thru all the end caps, all the way around the entire sail, following the parameter.  Then get some longer throw handles (if you don't have 'em already!) so you can flip the kite inside out at will, anywhere in the window.

The Speed series does this trick quite effortlessly.  Just snap your thumbs powerfully at the kite and maybe add a step forward as well when first learning.  The kite will snap inverted and then back again as fast as your can manipulate the handles.

It looks way cool too!

paul
maryland, usa
wowkitelcub.com

#3 stryker2

stryker2

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:59 AM

Thanks for the tip Paul, I will surely give it a try  :-)

#4 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:36 AM

As far as tips regarding the SS and the way it flies....be ready! :shock:   The kite is FAST!  The power is not overwhelming but it is a lot more than what you are use to with your 1.5 or your Rev 1.  Still, it wont be pulling you over on your face and dragging you across the field like a power kite can.  The kite will turn fast enough to give you whiplash.

I suggest flying it in winds starting around 9-10 mph, in lighter winds than that the kite is very floaty/sluggish and can be very difficult to control.  I have my best sessions with my SS and Shockwave when the winds are a bit stronger.  When the winds are over 12 mph the kite rocks!  Be warned tho, there is a reason that the speed series kites are all shipped with extra leading edge spars.  When the kite slaps the ground it does it with very little finesse.  I have noticed that it will always hit harder when you have people watching...not sure why that is.....kinda strange. :?:

The Supersonic has become one of my favorite Rev's to fly but the wind does have to be right for it.  When I first got my SS, I was very discouraged with it and it did end up staying in the kite bag for nearly a half year before I decided to give it another chance to prove itself... Once I got a good flight with it tho the smile has never really left my face. :twisted:

Speed is very addicting!  :twisted:  :evil:  :twisted:

#5 stryker2

stryker2

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:58 PM

Thanks Kent for all your good and encouraging advice  :-)

#6 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:26 AM

I have also replaced the  "down spars" with light weight tapered Skyshark rods.  Between that addition and longer throw handles you can fly the kite very reliably in 5 or 6 mph.

I'm from the land of no-wind, so all my modification efforts are always about a tighter sail (which the speed series doesn't need!), as well as lowering the overall weight.

The speed series will dead-launch!  

Instead of the "catch" we all know and love so much, the speed series does this kind of horse-shoe shaped flight when you try to jerk it from the sky.  It seeks the downwind again and gradually turns away from your pull to face downwind again.  I have run really fast downwind to do the catch there, since I can't get it to return to me at an up=wind position, HA!

You'll have a ton of fun with this kite, but it IS fast, so be ready and keep us informed.

paul
maryland, usa

#7 cbabbman

cbabbman
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:07 PM

I love my shockwave when the wind is right, just as Kent said. It had great pull and is just plain fast. As for my Supersonic, it is vented and I didn't expect the same speed and pull but I was rather shocked at how little the venting affects the fun and thrill.

I always take my Vented SS up when the winds are above 15mph. It makes an incredibly great buzzing noise that ALWAYS clears the area of geese.... which are my nemesis as they litter the fields around here with poop...
Posted Image

#8 stryker2

stryker2

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:36 PM

As I was about to place my order for a custom color standard Supersonic, "someone" suggested I get the vented version instead. That threw me a little and am now undecided which to get at this point. So instead I opted to order a 1.5 SUL for this month, which is a needed addition to my kite bag for those no to low wind days.
In the meantime I will have a few more weeks to decide on which SS to order next month. Ideally both, but I have to be realistic, and keep my marraige together  :lol:

#9 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:37 AM

The SUL has a spectra bridle that will "slip" eventually.  You'd be wise to tie a second overhand knot in each piece or order a standard 100# Hi Test bridle and dump the spectra one entirely.

The SUL is Rev's best kite design, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!  I'm from the land of no-wind, so it gets the most usage of anything in my bag.  I think I have about forty of their kites now,... HA! not that my wife is counting them anymore.

#10 stryker2

stryker2

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:24 AM

So what do you think is the better option?
Get a 100# test bridle instead?  
Since the order was placed yesterday, there might be time to change the bridle on the order.

Thanks again for your all your help and suggestions, it's much appreciated.

#11 stryker2

stryker2

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:30 AM

:shock:  40?     :shock:  I'm surprised you still married :wink:
And I thought I was bad buying one kite every month since July (4 of them Revs)  :lol:

#12 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:58 AM

The SUL has a spectra bridle that will "slip" eventually.  You'd be wise to tie a second overhand knot in each piece or order a standard 100# Hi Test bridle and dump the spectra one entirely.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, leaning towards the latter.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#13 stryker2

stryker2

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:32 AM

Thanks John, I have asked them to change the bridle to standard.
:D

#14 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:41 PM

I have been flying REVs for a long time, . .... back in the old days I bought a kite month for over three years running.  

Lately the needs have changed to something completely unique or I'm not at all interested.

I have a great bride, but she runs the funding and I live on a daily allowance.  When the factory has something outrageous they think I might like, they call my wife instead of me!  
"there's no reason to bother Paul, Barbara' runs the dough in that household"

You can never have too many of something you dearly love though ~plm

#15 stryker2

stryker2

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:51 PM

Well as a newbie, I'm very excited at the model range and would like to try them all.
As an artist I too, love unusual designs and came across this absolutely stunning quad line kite, which I would love to replicate. I have been searching high and low for the maker, to no avail.
How well this kite would fly is questionable, However the design is so stunning, I'm willing to give it a try.
Pic attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• normal_DSCF0048.jpg

#16 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:53 PM

i have both the shockwave  and supersonic both are really fast the ss pulls lighter then the shockwave but both are a blast to fly i fly mine with my 13 inch handles and 150#line at 100 feet
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#17 stryker2

stryker2

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:16 PM

Well antman, I put my SS order on hold till next month and ordered a 1.5 SUL instead. I will get the SS next month, it's just a matter of deciding on color choice and standard or vented.

#18 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

go with the vented its much smoother kite to fly and will allow you to fly in higher winds then the standerd ss
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#19 CLTKiter

CLTKiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:28 AM

A kite a month......  WOW!

I have both the Supersonic and Sonic Vented, and if you want a fast kite in winds 10+ mph, the Sonic Vented is hard to beat!  I've flown mine in 25-30, and it is a hoot!  It's smooth, responsive, and I didn't even hurt it in those winds.

Later, Doug
W.A.C.K.O.S. - Wings Across Carolina Kiting and Okra Society

#20 stryker2

stryker2

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:50 AM

Thanks doug for your input and recommendation, it's really appreciated. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users