9 replies to this topic

#1 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:21 PM

Just had a GREAT session out on the beach with my indoor with hardly a breath of wind, tried loads of new stuff and was wondering if anyone has experimented with 'hitting' the kite??? By that i mean with the kind of moves you would use to to catch the kite, hitting the kite to redirect it, send it back the way it came or make it spin in a new direction??? - was having a play and think it is worthy of some time . . . .

Tried a basic catch but instead of catching the LE tapping it back to where it came from. . . .

From flying i think it's possible to lay the kite out from a 360, flick the top handle to bring the kite towards you and then flick the wing tip to spin the kite 180 into reverse flight

Also, tried Watty's axel catch and think a well timed flick could send it continuing on it's trajectory with another half spin to land up behind you . . .

;)
Thinking about a stack . . .

For life outside of kiting please read my Lymphoma Charity Blog:
http://www.marti-tho...0.blogspot.com/

#2 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:29 PM

Marty, I've seen Guido Maiocchi do this in a bullfighter type manoevure - looks really stylish

If you havn't seen him fly indoors before this is worth 5 minutes of your time http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=A_kZfAY41hk

#3 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

Your thread name makes me think there should be a number we can call to report such activity.
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

David Brittain used to do that kind of stuff with his Rev II indoors, he was a big frisbee guy.

Cool indeed. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:56 PM

Your thread name makes me think there should be a number we can call to report such activity.

you can report such instances of abuse by calling "Kiteline" on 07000 KITE-ABUSE that's 07000 5483-22873 . . . .

;)
Thinking about a stack . . .

For life outside of kiting please read my Lymphoma Charity Blog:
http://www.marti-tho...0.blogspot.com/

#6 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

Hi Marty,

A guy called James Madelin used to do a whole load of stuff.

As you say doing a pull towards you then tapping the LE so it does a flat spin / axle either back where it came from or behind you etc. James did this outdoors or indoors using the 3D techniques.

He would also do a very flat pull towards himself about a foot or two off the ground and jump over the kite and then continue in a 360.

He also did a thin he called a javelin, where he would pull the kite toward himself a long the line of the LE, so it flew towards him like a javelin, he would just move his head far enough so it didn't hit him in the face then as it flew by, he would tap the end of the LE and it would javelin out to the edge, and carry on flying.

also another variation try kicking it. You may need to check your spars as when james did this it was a few years before those skinny indoor spars, be careful!

I could be wrong but I seem to think it was James that invented or named the matador move.

The guy was a REV genius !!! Always remember him flying indoor in the aqualud in Le touquet - OH but he was in the water !! :blink:

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#7 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

wow.. wow wow... off to the gym right now.. and I am totally blown away now hahah .. ty for sharing that video...

#8 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

Marty, I've seen Guido Maiocchi do this in a bullfighter type manoevure - looks really stylish

If you havn't seen him fly indoors before this is worth 5 minutes of your time http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=A_kZfAY41hk

Thanks, that was most enjoyable! That's what's soooooooooooo cool about the sport; the moves, tricks, etc. are endless.... you can keep trying/learning new things... it never gets old.
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#9 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

Guido Maiocchi is probably my favorite Rev Flyer that I've ever seen indoor or out, I've yet to make a set of 24" handles to try I'm pretty comfortable with the 18's I use now.

That Video is great thanks for posting it's saved and going on my iPod as I type this :)
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#10 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

hahah OK..
so I get to the gym. I start flying and I do the pull and try to hit the tip of the leading edge to send it out again hahahaa > I managed to actually do it once..with no finesse whatsoever... but it was fun trying!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users