Powerblast and no wind?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dutchPWR

dutchPWR
  • Forum Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:36 AM

i read that the Powerblast 2-4's wind range is from 0-10 for rec flying. has anyone tried to fly this kite in a zero/low wind setting? and if so how did it fly?[/u]
If only there was some wind...

#2 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:34 AM

Hi Dutch,
I don't have the 2-4, but I do have the Super Blast. From what I've been told they are the same kites with an updated name.

I've never flown mine in 0 wind but have flown in the 2 mph range. In that wind it is a slow and easy flyer. Keep in mind that this is a large kite with weight to go with it's size.

For me to fly it in low wind I need the wind to be steady, much like at the beach as opposed to our winds here in the center of the state. I am not able to float this kite as long as some others, so when the wind stalls so does the kite.

In this area (The Triangle) the 1.5 SUL is much more versatile for our low wind conditions. When the wind stalls, a step or two back will usually provide enough lift to keep flying until the next breeze. I frequently fly the SUL in 0-2 on lines from 25' x 50# to 120' x 100#. 25', 50', and 75' are my most used line sets around home in low wind.

I've had the Super Blast since they were released. It is a great kite that has a permanent home in my bag.

Do you have any good flying spots in Greensboro? I have a construction project going on there now and for the next few months, maybe we could get together and fly one day.
I would be glad to let you try mine.
Kip Clement
Apex (land of light and variable wind) NC

#3 dutchPWR

dutchPWR
  • Forum Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:17 AM

i fly on the soccer fields at my school. we should get together to fly sometime

#4 nckiter

nckiter

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:48 AM

DutchPWR, sent email to you.
Kip Clement
Apex (land of light and variable wind) NC

#5 kiteslinger

kiteslinger

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:24 AM

I have both powerblast 2-4 and 4-8

I use the 2-4 and 4-8 and demonstrated both light wind and power capabilities this year power kite X-po held in Pismo beach, Ca  1st up and 1st to ride even before any of the 16 and 18meters water kites would even try  

to answer ? about low wind capability... great for light wind,  slid-slides 360s and inverted 360s ,up and overs   when climbing just about to the top of the zenith give a  quick small  pop   to the top lines then slack line it, the 2-4 fall forwards and starts to glide around then glides away , might have to take a set or two back to retrieve any slack before sending it back into action.

for ZERO winds I haven't tryed it "yet" indoors

and when the winds picks up then grab your board, buggy or skis

#6 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:17 PM

i never flew it in zero winds but my friend blazer from maryland has a 2.4 and i buggied with it in 4 mph winds and it pulled my 230 pound ass on my buggy all over the beach so if it can pull me im sure it can do for some lighter weight guys in here
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#7 dutchPWR

dutchPWR
  • Forum Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:19 PM

thanks for all the help guys. the reason thta i was asking is that i live in a area where the winds are few and far between, but travel frequestly to the beach where there is a amazing wind.

in short, do to me being crazy low on cash i wanted to look inot getting a kite that i could get up in any wind condition, be it light and variable greensboro or strong and steady morehead city

~Dutch

#8 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:00 PM

its a great kite youll love it
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#9 dutchPWR

dutchPWR
  • Forum Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:53 AM

went flying with kip (NCKiter) earlier today and tried out his superblast.

wow... that kite takes corners like a whale in low wind. i have a video of the flying, well kips flying and my crashing, that i will upload afted winter break.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users