#1 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:58 AM

Hi,

I've a quick question regarding the use of either race rods vs 3 wrap frames in a VTD B-Series sail.

In winds of say 8 - 10mph where you typically use the 3 wrap only in a VTD sail, would it be the same as using race rods instead? Say under the same wind conditions and forgetting about the flex characteristics, if I were to use race rods instead of 3 wraps, do I have to worry that the race rods are more prone to breakage from sudden wind gusts as opposed to having 3 wrap frame? Would I see the same degree of flex if I"m using race rods (even though they are as strong as a 3 wrap)

Am asking because I'm contemplating having race rods in my VTD sail as a default and adding another 3 wrap only when winds get ballistic. Currently I have 3 wraps as a default in the VTD and add an extra 3 wrap to double the leading edges. Trying to squeeze a little more out of the lower wind range of the VTD but also mindful of the tolerance the race rods can handle when a sudden big gust comes along.

Thanks for the advice.

-Darryl

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

Hi Darryl,

Personally, I would use the Race Rods in a vented sail up until around 10mph. After then, I would switch to 3 wrap just to be on the safe side.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

Hi Darryl-
I agree with Watty. Keep in mind, if you see the LE bending too much, you'll know that's a good time to switch to a stronger frame. It's a good basic rule for any frame/wind conditions.
Good luck.
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#4 deebs1596

deebs1596

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:17 PM

although ive used RR's in a wind of 20 with a full sail...i would not advise it at ALL...kite was a horseshoe and it was quite scary.
if the rods bend beyond an approx. 45 degree arch im swapping up a frame.

thats my 2 cents worth on personal preference.
----Dan-----

lost in thought or lost in a field... either way send a search party

i fly what i can and stare at what i cant.

#5 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:45 PM

I love Race Rods (bought 3 sets so far), but I prefer to use them at the lighter end of the wind range.
They might be able to survive quite a bit more wind, but how many times do you want to take a chance?
If there's enough wind that the Race Rods are deflecting a lot, there is plenty of wind for 3 Wrap ULs or even 4 Wrap Equipped.

#6 John F

John F

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

I have been using RR up to about 15 in the vented. Then I go to 4wrap. It seems to work fine. I am flying next to the mountains and winds are not steady so I like RR because it seems to handle a wide range. I use it up to about 10 to 12 on a non vented. So my kit is really just RR and 4 wrap now.

I also made an indoor REV 2 and use the RR on that indoors. Have used them up 30 on the REV 2 at WSIKF last year.

They sure seem tough for such a light rod set.

#7 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:20 AM

RR are the buisness.Get them for your vented.It will improve your feel and range without a doubt
I have also tried mixing rods.Race centre shaft and 2, 3, or 4 wrap outer shafts.I have to say i realy like RRCentre and 3 wrap outer in my B Series.When the winds around 10/12mph.

In a Rev One ther also v,very good.Try mixing them ther also as above.again the RR Centre and 3 wrap outer is a nice combo i think.

Dont be afraid to try diffrent stuff with um.

Have fun

BRIAN...It may say MARS on the wrapper,but it doesnt come from ther

#8 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:05 AM

In lower winds (say 5mph) there is nothing, nothing at all, like a vented or semi vented with a race frame. Sublime.

Throw away your fears of breaking them. I have had them is a vented in way too much wind. They were far from ideal but I couldn't be bothered to change. But the point is that they didn't come close to breaking. Smacking into the ground with a tip many do it as carbon doesn't like shock loading. But breaking them by simple bending isn't easy.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users