45 replies to this topic

#21 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:25 AM

I've just been watching "In the Night Garden" with the boy (English baby TV programe) and I have realised that Bob and I look like Upsy Daisy when we are wearing these gloves! :blushing:

Just for the record, one of the below is a picture of Upsy Daisy, and the other a picture of Stone in Shoe Bob.

When did Bob join The Flick :ani_whistling:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#22 Ant-

Ant-

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:40 AM

I just bought a pair of these in the Maplin sale

http://www.maplin.co...?moduleno=47714

Whilst they are a bit bulky for flying with, a quick blast is great for just restoring the warmth after a cold setup so you can get on and enjoy the flying !

Ant

#23 SabineFLIC

SabineFLIC
  • Forum Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:58 AM

I've just been watching "In the Night Garden" with the boy (English baby TV programe) and I have realised that Bob and I look like Upsy Daisy when we are wearing these gloves! :blushing:

Just for the record, one of the below is a picture of Upsy Daisy, and the other a picture of Stone in Shoe Bob.

Beautiful !!! :lol:

#24 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:40 AM

OKilyDokily - which picture is which?
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#25 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

My local Costco has gloves in the sporting goods section that are decent for the mild cold Las Vegas experiences. $10, made by Head, nice feature is they have a slight rubber grid covering the palm and fingers to aid in gripping, and they have a special material on the thumb and forefinger that interacts with a touchscreen cell phone very nicely. They stretch a bit and fit tight (different sizes available) so they don't interrupt the feedback from the Rev too much. I don't think they would be suitable for really cold conditions, they break the cold wind off my hands nicely though.

While I've been flying kites for a couple years, before picking up on the Rev this year I never flew that much during the winter - I'm a cold weather wimp. This year, because of the Rev, I have the bug in a major way, and I'm determined to get out there every day and pursue my hobby/sport/relaxation/passion, regardless of conditions. I have some gear questions:

The weather in Las Vegas gets down to about 38 degrees Fahrenheit, usually no more than 30 percent humidity.

Can anyone recommend a nice, soft set of thermals (underwear or "fashion" thermals, tops and bottoms)? I've bought 3 different thermal tops now, and I swear they were all made with cactus needles and sandpaper.
Anyone have a recommendation for the best way to keep my ears, cheeks, and nose warm while flying? When I search online I see scarves, balaclavas, ski masks, etc. just wondering which works best while actively flying a kite.

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#26 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

My local Costco has gloves in the sporting goods section that are decent for the mild cold Las Vegas experiences. $10, made by Head, nice feature is they have a slight rubber grid covering the palm and fingers to aid in gripping, and they have a special material on the thumb and forefinger that interacts with a touchscreen cell phone very nicely. They stretch a bit and fit tight (different sizes available) so they don't interrupt the feedback from the Rev too much. I don't think they would be suitable for really cold conditions, they break the cold wind off my hands nicely though.

While I've been flying kites for a couple years, before picking up on the Rev this year I never flew that much during the winter - I'm a cold weather wimp. This year, because of the Rev, I have the bug in a major way, and I'm determined to get out there every day and pursue my hobby/sport/relaxation/passion, regardless of conditions. I have some gear questions:

The weather in Las Vegas gets down to about 38 degrees Fahrenheit, usually no more than 30 percent humidity.

Can anyone recommend a nice, soft set of thermals (underwear or "fashion" thermals, tops and bottoms)? I've bought 3 different thermal tops now, and I swear they were all made with cactus needles and sandpaper.
Anyone have a recommendation for the best way to keep my ears, cheeks, and nose warm while flying? When I search online I see scarves, balaclavas, ski masks, etc. just wondering which works best while actively flying a kite.

You can start out with a hoodie(hooded sweatshirt) and then a windbreaker with a hood over it. If it really gets cold you need artic type with hood. Check out www.sierratradingpost.com . They regularly have good deals. The thing is there, when you see what you want, buy on the spot, because tomorrow or even an hour later it may be gone.
Can't give you any tips for the cheeks.
For gloves, I use sailing gloves until it really gets cold. Then I use ski gloves.
For thermals. I used some silk ones with normal thermals over them. Very warm and no itch.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#27 TerryB

TerryB

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:51 PM

Hi,
Worked a lot of Norwegian winters, and the only cold weather liner for me is DEVOLD impossible to get cold even when wet .
They also do all of the undergarments you will need for layering up.
Love my rev too, hoping father Christmas has been kind to me for my second kite :)
Take care and stay warm.
Terry

#28 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for the recommendations, John and Terry!
While I kind of feel goofy for asking how to keep warm, I can't afford my usual "trial and error" method after spending for this Christmas.
Oh, so THAT'S what that hood was for on the back of my sweatshirts!! LOL seriously, it didn't occur to me till I read it....... Posted Image
Ah, ok, silk thermals sound like the way to go. Again thanks for the recommendation!! I've never had a need to buy one till now..... And like I mentioned I bought 3 uncomfortable ones already.
Sierratradingpost.com is a favorite of mine, though I've never bought clothes there. Bensbargains.net has "20% off" coupon codes for sierratradingpost.com right now, makes the deal even sweeter. Thanks for the recommend!

Thanks for the info on Devold! I had problems with their website, so I requested a catalog.
I'm hoping father Christmas drops off a Rev Indoor for me!
Thanks for the info Terry! It will help me stay warm and stay flying. Best wishes, I hope you can do the same Posted Image

Have Rev, Will Travel

#29 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

I haven't compared prices, but Winter Silks (www.wintersilks.com) keeps sending us catalogs. I don't tend to need such things - I might wear a jacket over my short-sleeved cotton shirt three or four times a winter. (In Michigan.) OTOH, I rarely spend long periods of time outdoors in the winter.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#30 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

You can start out with a hoodie(hooded sweatshirt) and then a windbreaker with a hood over it. If it really gets cold you need artic type with hood. Check out www.sierratradingpost.com . They regularly have good deals. The thing is there, when you see what you want, buy on the spot, because tomorrow or even an hour later it may be gone.
Can't give you any tips for the cheeks.
For gloves, I use sailing gloves until it really gets cold. Then I use ski gloves.
For thermals. I used some silk ones with normal thermals over them. Very warm and no itch.

For those outside North America, Sierra Trading Post is quite experienced shipping overseas.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#31 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

I haven't compared prices, but Winter Silks (www.wintersilks.com) keeps sending us catalogs. I don't tend to need such things - I might wear a jacket over my short-sleeved cotton shirt three or four times a winter. (In Michigan.) OTOH, I rarely spend long periods of time outdoors in the winter.

That looks like good stuff!

#32 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

Hey Sky, Check out this website, 180s.com, I've got a pair of the earwarmers, love em. 38 degrees??? Heat Wave!! I been flying here in the teens, brrrrrrrr.Posted Image
Michael
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#33 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

Some years ago (read that as many years ago) I got a pair of "driving gloves". Very soft leather, a little fuzzy on the inside. They are not too bulky, so they live in the pockets of my favorite jacket. They have served me well at WSIKF, Pismo Beach, and any other place where I may want gloves while flying. I can not attach or take apart lines whole wearing them, but otherwise they are great.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#34 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

Some years ago (read that as many years ago) I got a pair of "driving gloves". Very soft leather, a little fuzzy on the inside. They are not too bulky, so they live in the pockets of my favorite jacket. They have served me well at WSIKF, Pismo Beach, and any other place where I may want gloves while flying. I can not attach or take apart lines whole wearing them, but otherwise they are great.

That is what I liked about the sailing gloves. Fingers tips are free to handle the knots. Sure the tips will get cold in time, but know where near as quick as without them.

#35 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:28 AM

@--Pete - Winter Silks is a great recommendation! Competitively priced for sure. I have a warm jacket, but it is way too big and bulky to comfortably fly in. A thermal and a good hoodie should set me up for the winter.

@ mbro - I know, I know Posted ImagePosted Image and it's not even close to 38 degrees yet either, not till late January - been around 50 for the last week or so! 50 degrees and I'm freezing my Posted Imageoff! I'm not cut out for the cold weather, but I am glad we are having a decently cold winter in Las Vegas this year.

@ Jim Foster - Ah, I will check out a pair of driving gloves next time I'm at the store. Thanks for the recommendation!

@ RevWizard - I will check out some fingerless sailing gloves too. Thanks again for reminding me about the usefulness of the hoodie Posted Image I wasn't trying to be a smartie with my last reply; I own 2 hooded sweatshirts, and it honestly didn't occur to me to use the hood for warmth, till I read your reply! Posted Image I was using them as "fashion" hoodies Posted Image

Have Rev, Will Travel

#36 beach

beach

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:58 AM

I have it all figured out everyone shall move to San Diego and fly with me, see how simple that was..Posted Image
Yeap thats me problem solving at it's best...... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#37 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

I have it all figured out everyone shall move to San Diego and fly with me, see how simple that was..Posted Image
Yeap thats me problem solving at it's best...... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

You nailed it there!!!!!

#38 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

Posted Image

6 degrees warmer, 6 mph more wind than North Las Vegas right now.......

Have Rev, Will Travel

#39 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

Sounds good to me Ben, I'm tired of the cold! Soooo... you must have a really big place!!!!Posted Image
Michael
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#40 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

Ben - you better make room for me!!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users