#21 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:49 PM

SNOW!
I grew up with snow around me every winter in Indiana, Illinois and Oklahoma. I learned to drive on snow and ice and found out how easy it was later to drive on dry roads.
Over 90% of my life I have lived in areas where it is normal to snow in the winter covering several USA states and several countries.
I learned how to downhill snow ski quite successfully and even once had a dual line kite pulling me on skis. I have broken a few bone skiing and spent a week in the hospital once with a damaged knee ligament.
I even broke my right arm flying a REV II on a snowy surface when I slipped and fell.
At two of my residences I lived through snow higher then I am tall. The first in North Hampton, New Hampshire in 1969 and the next at Feldkirchen-Westerham in Germany(SE of Munich near the Alps) in 1978.
I enjoy driving a snow but fear the other drivers who don't understand it. I fear driving on ice under all circumstances.
SNOW I enjoy it and I miss it. I am now in my third winter without it which is the longest in my life.
However, I really enjoy the warmth of the sun in the southwest where I am now. Unfortunately today it was cold and rainy.
Oh yes! Snow Avalanches! I have lived through them being trapped for a few days on two occasions. Once in Austria and another time in Italy.
The coldest I ever lived through was Grand Prarie, Alberta, Canada in 1970 where it got to minus 35 several times in December 1970.
Clip.jpg DSC_7791b.jpg

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#22 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:30 AM

i hope i did this picture thing right.... the day after our wckfg dinner and steve's drive home ... gerald a flyer from vancouver ... mario and myself spent a couple of hrs flying at the point
full vent and mid vent (my vented is offically dead)... 90lb and 150lb ... 120ft lines and a ton of layered clothing ... wind was slightly less than ballistic and lumpy as porridge

Verrry Cool Pics, Terry! Especially that last one! I have yet to fly with/in snow (don't know that I really care to as I can't stand the cold tbh), but I love how the colors of the Rev pop out against a winter landscape. :artist:

Ok, so a question for our Artic Flyers then... Since the ground is generally frozen in those kinds of temps. How do you stake your kites? Or do you just let them lie flat and coax them upright?

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#23 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

Ok, so a question for our Artic Flyers then... Since the ground is generally frozen in those kinds of temps. How do you stake your kites? Or do you just let them lie flat and coax them upright?

Don't need a stake with quadsticks :ani_whistling:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#24 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

Don't need a stake with quadsticks :ani_whistling:

beat me to it :angry: B) :kid_smartass:

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#25 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:53 AM

I'll either kick a little snow along the leading edge or just stick the stake in the snow.

#26 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:45 AM

aerochic
regarding your question about setting up a stake in frozen ground... fortunately here in Victoria being on a island at sea level and on the 49th parallel we only see snow for maybe 2 or 3 weeks a year B) and the temp never sinks to those of prairies or further north... so the ground doesn't seize up and it is easy to stake out
that being said i have no idea how flyers in really cold climates accomplish it ... i am sure they must have some very creative solutions and have to be made of sterner stuff than i to carry on flying in winter ...
cheers
terry

ps could'nt figure the quote copy thingie
pps i like this type of flying so much more :) :) IMGP2023__Small_.JPG
Posted Image

#27 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:50 AM

Great pics, Terry!
You Clover Pointers are HARDCORE! :o

#28 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:29 PM

I hope that I don't get banned for posting a pic of a dual line kite,
but there was not a breath of wind this afternoon and my standard sail B-Series was still hooked up in the stack,
so I flew an Indoor dual line kite. :blushing:

hacksville_snow.jpg
zdxl_snow.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users