27 replies to this topic

#1 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:06 AM

With the server update, John deleted December 14th for us ... want to bet he'll wish for that option once or twice during his married life? Back on topic: With the loss of Dec 14th, Bartman's post about the arrival of winter to his area of Canada was lost. Having lived in Northern Michigan for several years, I fully sympathise with his complaining. However, one part of his post really stuck with me yesterday ... he talked about "shoveling snow." Surely the industrial age has made it that far north ... or at least with the Internet they are aware of snow blowers. Shoveling snow is the equivalent of snail mail in the computer age. Well, if he's not aware of snow blowers, then in the form of a public interest announcement, let me show him what one person has assembled to handle problems with snow.

Winter does create some interesting experiences in the northern climates.

Enjoy,
Tom

#2 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:24 AM

With the server update, John deleted December 14th for us ... want to bet he'll wish for that option once or twice during his married life? Back on topic: With the loss of Dec 14th, Bartman's post about the arrival of winter to his area of Canada was lost. Having lived in Northern Michigan for several years, I fully sympathise with his complaining. However, one part of his post really stuck with me yesterday ... he talked about "shoveling snow." Surely the industrial age has made it that far north ... or at least with the Internet they are aware of snow blowers. Shoveling snow is the equivalent of snail mail in the computer age. Well, if he's not aware of snow blowers, then in the form of a public interest announcement, let me show him what one person has assembled to handle problems with snow.

Winter does create some interesting experiences in the northern climates.

Enjoy,
Tom

yee haw! now I wonder if that would work with leaves?? .. who cares I want one anyway!

#3 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:27 AM

Since I think it is about half of all Americans think we Canadians live in igloos (picture of mine attached for reference) I guess we probably don't know much about things like snow blowers and the like.

But I figure I might take one of these home from work to clear the sidewalk. I think Jeepster will appreciate it.

Bart

P.S. It is a balmy day today. Only -45C windchill. Short sleeve weather.

Attached Thumbnails

• inupiat_eskimo_igloo_438.jpg
  • skid_steer_snow.jpg

#4 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:44 AM

I think Jeepster will appreciate it.

Oh yes, I do appreciate the picture ... and the company ... as my son once said, "Cat has been very good to our family."

After posting the link, I got to thinking that most Rev flyers live near the beach and only see snow in pictures or on vacation. So, sharing snow blower info with them probably rates right up there with sharing dinosaur info. Help me Bart, but I think the beach flyers could probably identify more with this solution to mechanization.

And as to the igloo, doesn't it get a little damp during the summer week?

Cheers,
Tom

#5 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:50 AM

Ummmmmm. Heated handles. Now there's a thought for Ben.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#6 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:52 AM

Yes, well, summer is only A week as you say and doesn't get very hot at that so we live with the dampness during that time. Igloo roof repairs are top priorty as soon as that week is over though and finding contractors at that time is a pain.

I could use one of those blenders. I was looking for something more heavy duty to crush ice. Ordinary blenders just peter-out too quickly.

Bart

#7 MtnFlyer

MtnFlyer
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:05 AM

Ahhh, yes. The age old dilemma - to shovel or not. White gold. :D

For me, it's a plow on the driveway. But the front steps wouldn't be snow blower-friendly, so they and the deck are old fashioned manual shoveling. :wacko:
Bob

#8 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:48 PM

Oh yes, I do appreciate the picture ... and the company ... as my son once said, "Cat has been very good to our family."

After posting the link, I got to thinking that most Rev flyers live near the beach and only see snow in pictures or on vacation. So, sharing snow blower info with them probably rates right up there with sharing dinosaur info. Help me Bart, but I think the beach flyers could probably identify more with this solution to mechanization.

And as to the igloo, doesn't it get a little damp during the summer week?

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom...
I live a block from the water. We do get our fair share of snow here. The northeast gets both extremes of weather (snow and heat), with northern New England getting the most snow and colder temps, of course. Just to give a little insight to my "neck of the woods".
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#9 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

Hi Tom...
I live a block from the water. We do get our fair share of snow here. The northeast gets both extremes of weather (snow and heat), with northern New England getting the most snow and colder temps, of course. Just to give a little insight to my "neck of the woods".

Laura,

Actually I lived in your "neck of the woods" once upon a time. Spent three years back in the early 70's in Delaware where I remember ice being more of a problem than the foot or so of snowfall we had. Then I moved back to the upper peninsula of Michigan for a couple of years where snow was a definitely a problem with 200 to 250 inches a year being the norm ... so I've lived in a climate similar to Bartman's. Spent most of the 90's in Tucson, Arizona, where I saw a quarter inch of snow only twice ... where was Mike McDonald when I needed him to interest me in kites. Oh, and I spent part of the 80's in Kobe, Japan, where I can't remember any snowfall ... saw lots of kites, but no Rev's since they hadn't been invented yet ... a tip of the hat to Takako-san. Now I live in Illinois where a couple of feet seems to be the average snowfall ... and IKE members turned me on to Rev flying.

The point is that I've lived from "no snow" to "too much snow" as well as several places in between and I loved all of them ... simply changed the focus of the hobbies in which I participated. I love the snow ... going to the UP this week to play in the snow. And, I love the beaches ... going to KP next year to play in the sand.

Please don't take my kidding seriously ... most of the time I'm poking fun at myself or things I've experienced.

Cheers,
Tom

PS ... Those pictures of Jynx flying in the buff this last weekend were most likely taken after a combination of beer and a sauna ... works every time ... not the flying, the foolishness.

#10 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:55 PM

A few years ago for my birthday, Lynn gave me a gas powered blender. It works very well, and really does a number on ice.

In Long Beach, Washington, we saw the sand version of a Zamboni, you know the machine they use to put a good surface on ice? Well, they have a machine they drive across the beach that picks up the sand, filters out the junk, then lays the sand back down in a nice smooth, clean surface. We had never seen such a machine before. They call it a "Sandboni".

Really neat.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#11 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:34 PM

I guess the thread that had the snow pics got lost in the upgrade. :confused!:

We got a lot of snow for this area and it pretty much paralysed the town until they got the snow ploughs going.

I was down in Victoria for the West Coast Kite Flying Group's Christmas dinner and had over 2 hours of very careful driving to get back home. In some ways it reminded me of flying team in big winds; trying to keep the speed and spacing under control to avoid collisions. Quite a few cowboys in 4x4s went by me sideways on the Malahat. :wacko:

snow_car.jpg

#12 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

A few years ago for my birthday, Lynn gave me a gas powered blender. It works very well, and really does a number on ice.

In Long Beach, Washington, we saw the sand version of a Zamboni, you know the machine they use to put a good surface on ice? Well, they have a machine they drive across the beach that picks up the sand, filters out the junk, then lays the sand back down in a nice smooth, clean surface. We had never seen such a machine before. They call it a "Sandboni".

Really neat.

Jim,

Did Lynn give you the 25 or the 43cc blender?

Rehoboth beach had a bunch of sandboni machines in the 70's ... it's fantastic what they can do to clean up a beach in short order. I'd never heard the name sandboni, but love the humor. Thanks for the smile.

Cheers,
Tom

#13 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:14 PM

i hope i did this picture thing right.... the day after our wckfg dinner and steve's drive home ... gerald a flyer from vancouver ... mario and myself spent a couple of hrs flying at the point
it was cold as .#!&***... but alot of fun... definitely not saskatchewan but unusal for our island ....
full vent and mid vent (my vented is offically dead)... 90lb and 150lb ... 120ft lines and a ton of layered clothing ... wind was slightly less than ballistic and lumpy as porridge
cheers
terry w

hardcore_004__Small_.jpg hardcore_006__Small_.jpg g]hardcore_018__Small_.jpg hardcore_010__Small_.jpg pg]
Posted Image

#14 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

Laura,

Actually I lived in your "neck of the woods" once upon a time. Spent three years back in the early 70's in Delaware where I remember ice being more of a problem than the foot or so of snowfall we had. Then I moved back to the upper peninsula of Michigan for a couple of years where snow was a definitely a problem with 200 to 250 inches a year being the norm ... so I've lived in a climate similar to Bartman's. Spent most of the 90's in Tucson, Arizona, where I saw a quarter inch of snow only twice ... where was Mike McDonald when I needed him to interest me in kites. Oh, and I spent part of the 80's in Kobe, Japan, where I can't remember any snowfall ... saw lots of kites, but no Rev's since they hadn't been invented yet ... a tip of the hat to Takako-san. Now I live in Illinois where a couple of feet seems to be the average snowfall ... and IKE members turned me on to Rev flying.

The point is that I've lived from "no snow" to "too much snow" as well as several places in between and I loved all of them ... simply changed the focus of the hobbies in which I participated. I love the snow ... going to the UP this week to play in the snow. And, I love the beaches ... going to KP next year to play in the sand.

Please don't take my kidding seriously ... most of the time I'm poking fun at myself or things I've experienced.

Cheers,
Tom

PS ... Those pictures of Jynx flying in the buff this last weekend were most likely taken after a combination of beer and a sauna ... works every time ... not the flying, the foolishness.

Hey Tom...
Very, very cool on all your travels. Which place did you like the best.... if it's possible to say.
What you stated wasn't at all taken seriously. I think it's cool to enlighten folks that might not be familiar with an area and kind of give them a picture of it. I enjoy this part of this forum a great deal, too. Since I haven't traveled much, it's cool to see how others live around the globe; especially from people that have our common interest and can share their Rev experiences including along with the things or areas that make it more personal.
On a fluffy, white note ;) , I love the snow. Even though we can get a few really good snow storms mixed in with a few 4-6 inch storms, it's not enough for me. It's kind of funny (ironic) that while 4-6" can cripple NYC, up north you don't miss a step with that amount.
Thinking about it, I get the best of all worlds here. Snowstorms to the sunny warm beaches, I enjoy seeing it all.
Take care.
Laura

Posted Image

#15 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:24 PM

i hope i did this picture thing right.... the day after our wckfg dinner and steve's drive home ... gerald a flyer from vancouver ... mario and myself spent a couple of hrs flying at the point
it was cold as .#!&***... but alot of fun... definitely not saskatchewan but unusal for our island ....
full vent and mid vent (my vented is offically dead)... 90lb and 150lb ... 120ft lines and a ton of layered clothing ... wind was slightly less than ballistic and lumpy as porridge
cheers
terry w

hardcore_004__Small_.jpg hardcore_006__Small_.jpg hardcore_018__Small_.jpg hardcore_010__Small_.jpg

Hi Terry...
Very pretty shots. The last one really caught my eye.
Laura

Posted Image

#16 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

And here is my snow pics redone, since they were lost on the server redo..........

100_0899.jpg
100_0898.jpg

It was 12f this morning as I left for work, I expect single digits tomorrow morning, BRRRRRR!!!!!!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
iQuad in winter......... :lol:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#17 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:51 PM

Great shots all!

Welcome back Terry, I missed you. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#18 Kite Krusader

Kite Krusader

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

I think the beach flyers could probably identify more with this solution to mechanization.
Cheers,
Tom

Nice, but you must rember you need to keep your drinks cold, and you must have a way to get to your drinks.
Your friendly neighborhood kite flyer.

Posted Image Posted Image

#19 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

Jim,

Did Lynn give you the 25 or the 43cc blender?

Rehoboth beach had a bunch of sandboni machines in the 70's ... it's fantastic what they can do to clean up a beach in short order. I'd never heard the name sandboni, but love the humor. Thanks for the smile.

Cheers,
Tom

I have no idea how big the engine is. My machine was made from a weed-eater. All I know is that it really "gets it". Everyone within a quarter mile knows where the party is. :w00t:
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#20 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:14 PM

Hey Tom...
Which place did you like the best.... if it's possible to say.

Each location had a lot of exciting things and people to discover and enjoy ... and each location left us with wonderful friends and memories. I'd return to live in any of them, although my wife bulks at the really cold places. We had planned on retiring in Arizona until my son and his family returned to Illinois from there. With the attraction of two grand kids, Arizona plans seem to be on hold. So I guess right now, I'd have to say the first pick is where ever family is located.

One great thing about Illinois is the political entertainment. We moved to Illinois the first time in 1970 ... that's when Paul Powell's money filled shoe boxes were discovered. Now with the newest governor most likely headed to the governor's wing at the federal prison, the entertainment factor just keeps getting better and better.

Cheers,
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users