61 replies to this topic

#21 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:40 PM

Alan, you might consider hooking with big bri before buying, since he is local.

I'm sure he'd let you have a go, and nothing beats a test flight.

May be that the first day on a Rev will be enough to validate buying a B.

Also, with a standard frame, it's no less durable than an EXP (for curious friends).

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#22 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:13 PM

Try someones if you must, but then save time and buy a B-Series. That is what you will end up with anyway so just skip to the chase and get it over with. The money you will spend "building up" to the "B" will be more than just getting it right from the beginning.

Bart

#23 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:42 PM

(As a newbee myself)...
In June I bought my first, non B, Rev...
In July, after a try at a (borrowed) B and seeing and feeling how great it handled, ... I had to have one!

It's worth every dollar (I) spent, I wish I would have bought a "B" right from the start! In the long run... I would have actually SAVED money!

That's just my 2 cents worth, of newbee, advice!

Good luck on marking your choice!
Jynx

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#24 deebs1596

deebs1596

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:14 PM

i can side with everyone here about buying the B. I have an EXP and a 20th but i feel the 20th just handles better than the EXP.

Wish i went the either the 20th or a B. probably would have gone with a B though, bought 20th for other reasons
----Dan-----

lost in thought or lost in a field... either way send a search party

i fly what i can and stare at what i cant.

#25 Cougar

Cougar
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:34 AM

I am from Sunny Lancashire.Where do you fly or use the Blade you mentioned.

Well, I don't any more as the Blades belonged to a mate who I'm no longer in contact with. He had a small first edition Blade (2m? Something like that) and a couple of much bigger ones. Some of my best kiting times were under the baby Blade, it's so so responsive and absolutely trememdous fun.

When we're out now, well, in honesty we're still looking for ideal places. We tend to end up playing "dodge the dog eggs" on East Lancs' sandy shores, there's a nice slot near Hangtime in Fleetwood for instance.

I've heard that there's a Manchester kiting club who meet in Heaton Park, which would be good for me as we're at the north end of the M66 corridor, but whenever we've been down we've never found anyone.

#26 Cougar

Cougar
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:43 AM

To everyone else who's said ostensibly "buy a B" (isn't that a radio jingle?), I totally understand where you're coming from but it really is out of budget. If this was the only thing I was buying at Christmas then I'd definitely have been swayed, but I've already laid out a small fortune this month and I don't fancy soup for Christmas dinner.

To be honest though, assuming you're all right and we'll be back for another, I don't see as the EXP will be a waste as we're both kiters. Hell, and if it comes to it that I end up with two B's, I'll gut the thing for spares. (-:

#27 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:50 AM

you'll be "in deep" in short order,
trust me, I have been a loyal fan of REV kites for many years. One is never enough, I think I own about fifty of 'em currently.

Enjoy and welcome to the forum!

#28 pudsli

pudsli

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:41 AM

hi cougar.
buy what ever you can afford.
buy it, fly it, and enjoy it.
all the best steve.
Member of British S.T.A.C.K winter league pairs champs 2006/2007

#29 Wobbly

Wobbly

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:08 AM

Hi thought I would add my two penneth, when I started with Rev's my 1st purchase was a 1.5 non vent, found it very durable and it did'nt brake no matter what I did to it, became hooked, now have various Rev's purchased when finances allowed inc 1.5B & 1.5B vented, so my earlier kites non B's I use on the beach or in harsh condition's sometimes using the B's spars to fly in light winds, because I feel my B's are just too nice to ruin on a sandy beach or land in a pile of dog ~@%*, just my personal thoughts, you will have fun no matter what you buy.

#30 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

Hopefully you will LOVE the EXP, it is a great kite.

LOTS of folks have started off on them, and a lot of those folks still fly them.

I started aith an EXP, gave it away recently, it was still WELL flight worthy, and WELL second hand to me.

Then you will get hooked, ans it will be soup for Easter maybe.

#31 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:01 PM

To everyone else who's said ostensibly "buy a B" (isn't that a radio jingle?), I totally understand where you're coming from but it really is out of budget. If this was the only thing I was buying at Christmas then I'd definitely have been swayed, but I've already laid out a small fortune this month and I don't fancy soup for Christmas dinner.

To be honest though, assuming you're all right and we'll be back for another, I don't see as the EXP will be a waste as we're both kiters. Hell, and if it comes to it that I end up with two B's, I'll gut the thing for spares. (-:

Your very welcome to try any of mine mate.As the Man himself says.Try before you buy is a good option and i have a few diffrent Revs.

As for the Manchester Kite Club....Never herd of it sorry.

So,wher have you flown or do ya wana get together and try your hand.Thers a few of us usually meet

BRIAN...

#32 Cougar

Cougar
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:29 AM

The Manchester club seems to have disappeared. Maybe I imagined it.

A meet up after Christmas would be cool though, yeah. (-:

Just spoke to Kiteworld and The Highwaymen. Got to say, the latter were -way- more helpful. Kiteword have just hiked up their prices, the guy I spoke to said he'd do one at the old price but sounded like it was a bit begrudging. When I asked about price matching he said he'd need to check that THM had stock and get back to me, which he hasn't so far (from about 3 hours ago). THM have stock but not the exact colour I wanted and the only lines they have are Climax Professional, 55kg (so, what, 120lbs?) 40m lines which sounds a bit long to me?

Any thoughts on the lines? Worth paying an extra tenner or so for the Laser lines and a better colour choice (and grumpier sales staff)? Is it worth me pushing the price match promise or am I pushing my luck?

#33 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:08 AM

The Manchester club seems to have disappeared. Maybe I imagined it.

A meet up after Christmas would be cool though, yeah. (-:

Just spoke to Kiteworld and The Highwaymen. Got to say, the latter were -way- more helpful. Kiteword have just hiked up their prices, the guy I spoke to said he'd do one at the old price but sounded like it was a bit begrudging. When I asked about price matching he said he'd need to check that THM had stock and get back to me, which he hasn't so far (from about 3 hours ago). THM have stock but not the exact colour I wanted and the only lines they have are Climax Professional, 55kg (so, what, 120lbs?) 40m lines which sounds a bit long to me?

Any thoughts on the lines? Worth paying an extra tenner or so for the Laser lines and a better colour choice (and grumpier sales staff)? Is it worth me pushing the price match promise or am I pushing my luck?

Well what i would say is,steady on mate.Kiteworld are probably the best kite shop this side of the Pond or its a toss up between them and Shirleys crew at Highwayman.I and many on the forum Know stephen and Michael Personally.Ther experience and service are second to none,trust me,ive dealt with them for years.Ther proper kite people.

Be Kewl,i think is the way to go.They wont steer ya wrong,either outfit.

Lines
Personal choice has a lot to do with it.I have more lines than the GWRW.Ive used Shanti,Protec[climax]and Laser pro gold.ATM LPG[laser pro gold]are my line of choice.Its a little harder to get hold of over here,but worth waiting for if Kiteworld are out of stock.What you have to remember with kites,is that its seasonal realy and kite folk have had a long hard season.They generally run down stock now and restock before the new season starts after easter next year.Thats not saying you wont get what your after,it just takes a little time,,,,SO CHILLL B) .
I [if we meet]could let you use a set of lines and again try diffrent lengths and types.Then you can decide yourself

Lines that are 120ft are used for Team flying generally,but are good for all use
Lines say between 80ft & 100ft are used for general flying and larking about
Lines of 30ft to 50ft are known as short lines,good for tricks,no wind days and getting up close to see what the kites doing.

Things tend to happen a little slower in the Kite world than say Mcdonalds or Currys ,but beleive me,its generally worth the wait,Thers nowt better than a new kite on order or just some bits and bobs on the way to ya.I dont feel wright if im not waiting for summat in the post.Be Kewl fella,smile,relax,it will be good when ya get sorted

BRIAN...order in haste,repent at leisure ;) :)

#34 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:28 AM

Things tend to happen a little slower in the Kite world than say Mcdonalds or Currys .

It interesting - I believe that generally (any unfortunately) true, except in my experience with KWorld. So long as their suppliers are giving them good service so that they have the stock, they have always got stuff to me double quick time. Usually next day. To be honest, kites or not, I personally expect good service - anything less is IMHO unacceptable - either people are running a business or they are not. The only times KW have struggled in my experience with them is when they were let down by their supplier, and when I gave them the wrong address to deliver too!

The one that really gets me is when you write to a supplier, and they don't even have the good manners to reply. I am afraid this has happened on more than one occassion in my experience with the kite trade (but never with KW), and explains why I feel what you say may be generally true

So I would not say your point is an acceptable excuses, although it is heard too often in our world. More importantly KW have always been super fast with me - so fast that I suspect they do not believe it should happen either!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#35 Cougar

Cougar
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:29 AM

Just had a call back from Michael, who sounded a lot cheerier than when I spoke to him this morning. Maybe he just needed his morning coffee earlier.

Best price they can do is the old website price, which to be honest is reasonable given the exchange rate's gone down the porcelin throne lately. I think that based on lines alone, I'm going to go with them unless someone replies "stop, you mad impetuous fool" in the next ten minutes (which I suspect is unlikely!)

#36 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:33 AM

Stop you impetuous fool!

No, only kidding. Carry on, as you were.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#37 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:54 AM

Pitty its Friday,postman is good from KW,BUT may get Monday now.

I agree with Sailor totally.As i said ther probably the best in the uk for service and sales experience.

Ive ordered Wednesday morning and recieved it Thursday Morning from Stephen at KW,BUTi was trying to give them a little width as its Friday now[may get Monday delivery] and they are an exception rather than the rule for mega fast delivery.

WADA YA ORDER

BRIAN...

#38 Cougar

Cougar
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:51 AM

Argh, too late!

I'm now the proud owner of an EXP. Erm, or rather, my girlfriend will be in a few weeks. It's wrong of me to be excited about someone else's Christmas present, right?

Thank you all -very- much for all your comments and help with my nubbish questions, it's greatly appreciated. It's lovely (and makes a refreshing change) to find a forum full of enthusiastic and helpful people rather than trolling idiots and pretentious w@nkers. I only joined the forum here to pose this question, but after the reception I've received I'll be loitering around I think.

\o/

#39 jimfielder

jimfielder

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:58 AM

. . . . It's wrong of me to be excited about someone else's Christmas present, right?
\o/

It's okay, we know who you really bought it for. :lol:

Maybe she'll buy you a vacuum or maybe a set of dishes. :devil:

#40 Cougar

Cougar
  • Forum Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:11 AM

Maybe she'll buy you a vacuum

That'd suck.

(sorry)

0 user(s) are reading this topic