Supersonic vs Shockwave

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Chris

Chris
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

Hey guys. I searched, but after a few pages and not finding the answer, I gave up and made a post.

Thoughts on the Supersonic vs the Shockwave. I'd like to get one just as a speed kite. It will probably be flying in the upper wind range, nearing 15-20.

Thanks!
Chris

#2 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:45 AM

Both kites are very similar to each other. The Shockwave is slightly larger in length and height. This gives the Shockwave more sail area which results in a stronger pull, especially in the upper wind ranges.

Both kites are blistering fast! One just flew by you while you were reading this post...did ya see it? If not then you blinked! LOL

The sonic will have more speed than the Shockwave but only slightly. Both kites are super fun to fly but can be very frustrating and difficult if your skills are a little lacking. They will make you a better pilot for sure.

The Sonic is my personal favorite but only in the right wind ranges. I find that I enjoy flying the sonic in winds between 10 and 18 mph. It will fly in lighter winds but for me I would rather fly one of my other Rev's in the lighter stuff. Both of these kites really come alive in the higher wind ranges...oh yea, and they are snappy fast!!!

I think in winds around 20 I would prefer the vented Sonic (there isn't a vented Shockwave). The Vented is still mind boggling fast but doesn't have near the pull as the standard sails in those winds. The Shockwave or standard Sonic in 20 would be one crazy workout and you will probably want to keep a couple leading edge spars on hand for replacements.

New Sonic's & Shockwaves come with an extra replacement spar kit when you purchase the full package (some shops remove them and sell them separately) you might want to check to see what comes with the package before purchasing. Usually replacement spars are not needed but with the speed series and their incredible speed, you may go through one or two leading edge rods before you get the handle on them.

Fun kites for sure!

#3 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:25 PM

<snipped good info>

Fun kites for sure!

I think that they are both very good and fantastic for training in 'lateral' control as they slide up and down the window very easily.

The only distinction I ever made is that, being a 'lightweight', I would fly the smaller kite in higher windspeed!

However, for a long time I found both more 'fun' for individual flying than the standard kites.

Felix

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:27 PM

What is your take now Felix?

Compared to the standard kites, with a lot more time under your belt.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

What is your take now Felix?

Compared to the standard kites, with a lot more time under your belt.

This really is a matter of ongoing interest to me having used the speed series individually for some time. I was sent the Anniversary Kite with the Race Rods and then got the 1.5Bs Standard and Vented. Obviously the standard kites are more forgiving in respect of lateral control but given the flying techniques that you are advocating (and which I completely endorse) for the standard kites I can see the possible advantage of moving to a frame/sail set that has greater flexibility (if you like) for lateral movement.

Obviously the spar weight of the speed series is an overhead that would have to be addressed.

Felix

#6 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:04 PM

On the frame overhead. Do you think a sonic would cope with say a 4 wrap quarter inch in any winds guys?
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#7 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:07 PM

Seems to me that the Speed and Power Series seem to generate tons of torque on the frame.

Notice that many of those models come with spare uprights? (the only 1/4" rods in the kite)

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#8 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:20 PM

Agree. The problem seems to be that you can be hovering fine, but put it into forward gear and you are suddenly dragged off your feet. I had an SLE go in less than 10 mph. Hence my question. I suspect one could not rely on anything less than an SLE.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#9 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

On the frame overhead. Do you think a sonic would cope with say a 4 wrap quarter inch in any winds guys?

I've tried the Vented Sonic with 4 wrap 1/4" all the kite does is flap like a butterfly violently, They definitely need that SLE for the torque these kites produce.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#10 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:22 PM

Sailor, that was my impression, hence the reason they never took hold with me.

John Barresi

#11 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

Ironically, I have never thought of trying this, just accepted that the kites felt like a plank of wood and then dealt with that as a positive characteristic. Obviously, having overcome the negative insinuation, had great fun with them as well...

Felix

#12 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

OK guys stop bashing the speed series, Not the kites fault you can't tame its wildness :P

Actually when I first got my vented sonic I flew it everyday for a month straight in my area we have standard 15 mph winds off the ocean great vented land, After some time getting used to the kite I was able to fly team along with reg 1.5's nice and slow and precise using what I call reverse controlling where as instead of thumbs back to go fwd you let out the bottoms of the handles to allow fwd movement, Same can be done with 1.5's especially in upper wind ranges it works well because the control is more subtle.

Lot's of Rev Flyers hate the speed series to me I like them more because of the challenge they offer to get true precise control plus the bonus is in the end it makes you fly the 1.5 better ;)
Jim,

Posted Image

#13 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:34 PM

Seems to me that the Speed and Power Series seem to generate tons of torque on the frame.

Notice that many of those models come with spare uprights? (the only 1/4" rods in the kite)

What is the 'direction of the torque' that you are referring to?

I have never managed to break anything, not even in the 'monsoon' in Uchinada in 2004.

Felix

#14 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

OK guys stop bashing the speed series, Not the kites fault you can't tame its wildness

Actually when I first got my vented sonic I flew it everyday for a month straight in my area we have standard 15 mph winds off the ocean great vented land, After some time getting used to the kite I was able to fly team along with reg 1.5's nice and slow and precise using what I call reverse controlling where as instead of thumbs back to go fwd you let out the bottoms of the handles to allow fwd movement, Same can be done with 1.5's especially in upper wind ranges it works well because the control is more subtle.

Lot's of Rev Flyers hate the speed series to me I like them more because of the challenge they offer to get true precise control plus the bonus is in the end it makes you fly the 1.5 better

OK, This is familiar ground to me!

Truly precise control is it... OK.

The lateral, 'side to side' stuff has serious potential and is a great challenge.

Did you see the Japanese team at Berck last year on Video?

Felix

#15 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

Not knocking them by any means. In fact was thinking I must get sonic out again and maybe try joneseys vented.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#16 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

Lot's of Rev Flyers hate the speed series to me I like them more because of the challenge they offer to get true precise control plus the bonus is in the end it makes you fly the 1.5 better ;)

The reason i advocate flying these ... it worked for me!! :blue-grin:

I've tried the Vented Sonic with 4 wrap 1/4" all the kite does is flap like a butterfly violently, They definitely need that SLE for the torque these kites produce.

I've done this with one of my speed series (don't remember which) and it slowed way down, too much bend in the leading edge PLUS, without the SLE, the sail foil didn't wrap over the LE. In other words, the dynamics were totally OFF for what the kite was designed for.

But that's how I learn ... play the 'what if' game and discover new stuff!

Cath

Cath
cath@flyingsmileskites.com
www.FlyingSmilesKites.com
252-453-8442

Come see us at Flying Smiles Kites when you're on the Outer Banks of NC!

Kites make me smile ... Revs make me grin!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

#17 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

OK, This is familiar ground to me!

Truly precise control is it... OK.

The lateral, 'side to side' stuff has serious potential and is a great challenge.

Did you see the Japanese team at Berck last year on Video?

Felix

To me the vented sonic is the better of the 3 and I've been able to fly along side of 1.5's move for move, Granted it takes time to get to know this kite it does want to just go but can be tuned for regular precise flying with that nitro boost available when you want it :)

The slides, floats, axles these things do are amazing and yes they offer much potential in doing routines (now if I could only choreograph)

I did see the Japanese team Karasu I believe, That made me happy to see a speed series team as I've thought about doing one myself just because there doesn't seem to be any although they use the Blast I was highly impressed and also encouraged even more.

That's one kite I'd love to see if its possible a vented blast :w00t:

Here is another quote to think about "Own Thy Hover with a Sonic" its easier then you think. :devil:
Jim,

Posted Image

#18 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:01 PM

To me the vented sonic is the better of the 3 and I've been able to fly along side of 1.5's move for move, Granted it takes time to get to know this kite it does want to just go but can be tuned for regular precise flying with that nitro boost available when you want it :)

The slides, floats, axles these things do are amazing and yes they offer much potential in doing routines (now if I could only choreograph)

I did see the Japanese team Karasu I believe, That made me happy to see a speed series team as I've thought about doing one myself just because there doesn't seem to be any although they use the Blast I was highly impressed and also encouraged even more.

That's one kite I'd love to see if its possible a vented blast :w00t:

I think that I have flown the Shockwave alongside 1.5s, I guess the availability of that 'nitro boost' is going to be an issue with less experienced fliers.

Taking another tack, I wonder if the 'enjoyment' or the demands of flying these kites individually has detracted from fliers considering flying them in team.

I think that someone should take this on! (I am not volunteering The Decs for this!)

Felix

#19 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

iQuad has been talking about using Supersonics for fun, but we haven't given it a go yet.

John Barresi

#20 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:19 PM

I think that I have flown the Shockwave alongside 1.5s, I guess the availability of that 'nitro boost' is going to be an issue with less experienced fliers.

Taking another tack, I wonder if the 'enjoyment' or the demands of flying these kites individually has detracted from fliers considering flying them in team.

I think that someone should take this on! (I am not volunteering The Decs for this!)

Felix

One thing I can say and it really boggles my mind is how much different the shockwave is from the super sonic.

The shockwave is the same shape bridled the same just slightly larger sail in ever direction yet handles so much differently, When they say you can test your flying experience they were not kidding.

I like the shockwave and the fact it really keeps me on my toes but that vented sonic is still my favorite :blue-love:
Jim,

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users