52 replies to this topic

#1 Clin

Clin

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:55 AM

I also tied the top and bottom pig tails myself, using the specs I have on my personal kite (only this one is done more neatly)... You can fly this with a extended brake setting (like Steve or myself would use), or easily adjust to fly this kite like it comes "out of the bag".

Originally from John's Rev indoor giveaway thread. I thought it'd be better to start a new topic. Could you elaborate how the tweaks are? I suppose it's the length of the pigtail on the kite and the handles?

Thanks!
Clin

#2 boomzilla

boomzilla

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

how about some close up photos also...g
glenn pickard
http://rifleart.com/

#3 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:59 AM

2 reasons for the adjustable pigtails on the indoor Rev.

1: As there is no bridle on the indoor they make for easier hookup to the kite

2: The adjustable part is sorta like the B-Series handles except you make the adjustments on the kite and connect the lines directly to the handles, This keeps snagging down to a minimum as your hands and arms tend to be a little more animated indoors.

Attached Thumbnails

• Clipboard01.jpg

Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:53 AM

The tweaks:

1. The end caps on the leading edge are tied super close, to cut down chance of snags.
2. The extension on the bottom is WAY shorter, and the top is still full length.

I fly my indoor Rev with the top leaders on my handles all the way out, and 7-8" of extension on the top lines (at the kite).

This puts the kite nearly flat to me, and increases the total sail pressure... A little odd at first, it's the most efficient tune.

Both Scott Weider, Steve de Rooy and myself use similar tuning, with me and Steve using the most brake of all.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 jsking

jsking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the tips! Good timing, too. Off to pull the indoor outta the bag...
Jeff
Wings Over Washington
http://www.flickr.co...44623@N00/sets/

--------------------
Revus Regnum

#6 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:23 AM

FYI, Steve *swears* by 13" B-Series handles indoors, while Scott and I prefer the leverage and grip of the indoor handles.

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#7 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:28 AM

FYI, Steve *swears* by 13" B-Series handles indoors, while Scott and I prefer the leverage and grip of the indoor handles.

Silly question (?) but I've never seen a pair of the indoor handles, what's the difference to the 13" ?

cheers :blushing:
1 of the 47.

#8 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:53 AM

The tweaks:

1. The end caps on the leading edge are tied super close, to cut down chance of snags.
2. The extension on the bottom is WAY shorter, and the top is still full length.

I fly my indoor Rev with the top leaders on my handles all the way out, and 7-8" of extension on the top lines (at the kite).

This puts the kite nearly flat to me, and increases the total sail pressure... A little odd at first, it's the most efficient tune.

Both Scott Weider, Steve de Rooy and myself use similar tuning, with me and Steve using the most brake of all.

Hi john, I think the idea of laying the kite so far back is a bit strange to new indoor flyers. But when you consider with a two line kite in light wind you put the nose back away from you. Then it starts to make more sense.

I find the leaders on the Handles easier for quick adjustments, Handles for making it do what you want, I made a set of really long handles which were about the same lenght as the down spar on the Rev. This gave me 1 to 1 movement of handles to kite.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#9 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

Well said Simon, it's also the premise of the style we've been teaching on the B-Series over the past year.

Anyone have a pic handy, of the indoor handles?

John Barresi

#10 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:12 PM

Hi john, I think the idea of laying the kite so far back is a bit strange to new indoor flyers. But when you consider with a two line kite in light wind you put the nose back away from you. Then it starts to make more sense.

<snip>

I always think back to the paper and bamboo fighter kites. Get them square on, then pull on the line to give them the sail shape, spilling air and driving forward, relax the line to stop, watch the kite spin until it points the way to go and then pull again to send it that way.

Felix

#11 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

Another great explanation!

Man, the experience in this forum really shows. :blue-love:

John Barresi

#12 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:42 PM

I always think back to the paper and bamboo fighter kites. Get them square on, then pull on the line to give them the sail shape, spilling air and driving forward, relax the line to stop, watch the kite spin until it points the way to go and then pull again to send it that way.

Felix

Another great explanation!

Man, the experience in this forum really shows. :blue-love:

The other thing to consider is that when physically stacking the Revs the directional pressure has to be effectively neutralised but with the kite still being 'supported' by the airflow.

This is not a moment for 'lack of concentration'!

<grins>

Felix

#13 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

Well said Simon, it's also the premise of the style we've been teaching on the B-Series over the past year.

Anyone have a pic handy, of the indoor handles?

Here ya go choccy,

Here's my indoor handles as purchased. . . . they're 14" and the top leaders are 8" with knots at 7" and 6". They're pure graphite handles with soft foam (like on the EXP handles) . . .

JB - when you talk about extended leaders on the top at the kite - are you just adding extra 50lb line for this??

thanks

Marty

DSC00063.JPG
Thinking about a stack . . .

For life outside of kiting please read my Lymphoma Charity Blog:
http://www.marti-tho...0.blogspot.com/

#14 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

I'm using 90# line for the leaders on the kite... They're short enough that the small weight difference isn't noticeable, and 50# on 50# (line to leader)is just too much of a pain to work with.

Also, a small tip... You'll probably want to epoxy the foam grips onto the handle once you figure out where you like them positioned... The ones we have (a dozen pair or so) all came without any glue or epoxy, foam is just tight on (at first), but tend to slip after awhile.

John Barresi

#15 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:42 PM

I'm using 90# line for the leaders on the kite... They're short enough that the small weight difference isn't noticeable, and 50# on 50# (line to leader)is just too much of a pain to work with.

Also, a small tip... You'll probably want to epoxy the foam grips onto the handle once you figure out where you like them positioned... The ones we have (a dozen pair or so) all came without any glue or epoxy, foam is just tight on (at first), but tend to slip after awhile.

just for clarification - when you say 7-8" leader on the top is that ON TOP of the existing leader or the overall length?? . .

i found the factory setting pretty ok on my first flight - just interested in the tweaks!

thanks

marty
Thinking about a stack . . .

For life outside of kiting please read my Lymphoma Charity Blog:
http://www.marti-tho...0.blogspot.com/

#16 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:49 PM

Marty, thanks for that. I like the bend on those - look like the way I have my outdoor handles bent.

Felix, your point about Indian fighters is so good. I too have flown them, what I found was that because of the size and weight you learn so much more about the wind there is and how it affects the kite. You also learn how little movement you need to make a big effect on the kite.

JB, there is huge experience on here, and the good thing is we are a sharing family, you can share advice but there is no subsitute for experience. That you get by getting out there or in this case in there and giving it a go. I think we all appreciate how we are all still learning new things with the Rev, which is probably why after 20 years we still fly it. :group:

Hopefully we can do a USA UK Indoor Clinic on the same weekend, if Jonesy & Sailor sort out a venue they mentioned a while back (Hint Hint)

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#17 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

<snip>

Felix, your point about Indian fighters is so good. I too have flown them, what I found was that because of the size and weight you learn so much more about the wind there is and how it affects the kite. You also learn how little movement you need to make a big effect on the kite.

<snip>

Simon,

The wind may be almost non existent. The kites still fly.

I have never done it but the experts fly on very, very long lines so touch and response become 'interesting'.

It is also culturally important in certain parts of the world and therefore extremely precious.

Felix

#18 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:13 PM

Marty: Overall length on the top leaders. ;)

Simon: Agreed, wholeheartedly!

John Barresi

#19 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:57 PM

Here ya go choccy,

Here's my indoor handles as purchased. . . . they're 14" and the top leaders are 8" with knots at 7" and 6". They're pure graphite handles with soft foam (like on the EXP handles) . . .

JB - when you talk about extended leaders on the top at the kite - are you just adding extra 50lb line for this??

thanks

Marty

DSC00063.JPG

Your handles look absolutely identical to mine including the leaders and their color, however mine are graphite wrapped aluminum tube.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#20 John F

John F

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

Please comment on this concept. I made a REV 2 for indoors. Using race rods and 1/2 oz sail material. Using B series handles. I have adjusted the lines so that when I am flying with the kite vertical in 360 all 4 lines are taunt. This way when I reverse I have immediate response. BTW I have never flown a REV Indoor so I have no experience indoors on REVs. Does this sound like the right balance between forward and reverse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users