12 replies to this topic

#1 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:00 AM

Just responded to a fine gentleman who I met in Australia on my most recent trip, I really went off on this one... Figured I'd share with the group, for you all to discuss, heckle or discard. ;)

He had an SLE with the big spars, and no adjustment leaders... While I was there, I cued him into the 1/4" spars and the adjustments on the handles, which prompted his questions.

thanks for taking the time to show me your setup while you were in Perth.
I've set my handles up like you said and I'm having a fat time trying different settings with mixed results. Have taken the SLE leading edge out and fitted the 1/4'' spars and now I don't over control it as badly as before. Cheers for that.
When I fly what should I focus on? The line tension, the leading edge? I't does my head in and I make the same mistakes over some days. It's a fantastic learning curve and a great way to unwind after work.

Hey there ******!

Before I reply to your questions, I just want to say, your reaction upon meeting me really made my trip... I meant what I said, I'm just a flier (albeit a veteran), and it's always wonderful to meet other folks with the same passion, so thanks for that. :)

Great, on the 1/4" spars and adjustments on the handles... You've got the tools now.

As for practice... OWN THY HOVER.

Practice your hovers... Facing upright, 3 o-clock and 9 o-clock, then add in 10:30 and 1:30 (facing upper left, then upper right)... Next, try hovering with the kite facing lower left, then lower right... Not fast switches between, mind you, just hovering in each spot.

Then, take it inverted (leading edge straight down).

Once you own a stationary hover facing all 8 directions, you've got control.

From there, move it around, with controlled speed, or fast "zips" from one spot to another, specific spots in the sky... Pick objects (signs, barrels, etc) to place either your right or left wing tips on... Come flying across the sky at full speed, then try and land it upright exactly where you want, fast as you can.

Basically, these are all tools to strengthen your control of the kite through specific actions or goals (as opposed to simply "trying" to control the kite).

==

Also, a special practice for you... Let the brake (top) adjustments out one knot at a time (longer top lines) until you absolutely cannot launch the kite, then pull 'em back in by one knot... Fly that way (despite the difficulties) for at least 30-40 minutes out of every several hours flying.

It's going to feel weird as hell, but this is the ideal tuning once you get used to it.

I've trained iQuad to fly with the style I use, which I'm sure you've seen on video and can appreciate the control... We use 7"-8" extensions on our top lines, MASSIVE by most standards, but the global Rev community is readily making the switch, as we're able to get the specifics and some hands on training out there.

If you push through, and keep trying it, you'll begin to understand... Especially in high wind.

==

Last but not least, do your best not to "jerk" your controls (turns/forward/reverse)... Ramp the inputs, as to say, make the inputs very minute, soft, speeding them up only as you begin to have a firm understanding of the amount of input required for any given movement.

Keep your hands on the foam (not at the top of the handles), so your index finger is right at the top edge of that foam... Tension on the index finger is for forward, middle finger is for hover, and ring finger is for reverse ("micronizes" the input), thumb and pinky are simply for leverage and grip on the handles... Obviously that's not exact, but it provides a more refined perspective on how the controls work, as opposed to swinging around 13" of handle every time you want to do something. ;)

==

To answer your questions directly... Line tension, key.

Fly the middle panel (with the logo), pressure and engine is in the center of the kite... The wings are just ailerons, to turn the kite... When you launch, pull the whole thing towards your chest while favoring the top lines, try not to "pull the top lines over your head".

Some great videos to get a feel for body work...

(a little extreme - but still useful)

Yeah, yeah... I flail a lot, and you don't need to be as active to control the kite. <grin>

But, it should provide some reference for where your hands should live (below your neck), how to power up (sharp pull towards the chest), how inputs are applied (tapping or gradual), etc... Reverse flight always takes less input than you think you need, give it a second to respond and pick up speed.

The motherlode of Rev videos on YouTube, anything worth watching is pretty much here...

http://www.youtube.c...;view=favorites
http://www.youtube.c...ife&view=videos

==

Well, you asked... *chuckle*

Once you feel like you're on the road (but not perfected) with these things, if you're inclined, get back to me with a report of your experiences/difficulties... Then we'll go from there.

On the whole though, write anytime... But please be patient, my replies can be delayed at times due to travel or work schedule... But, I WILL respond. ;)

Cheers, good winds.

JB

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#2 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:20 AM

Just responded to a fine gentleman who I met in Australia on my most recent trip, I really went off on this one... Figured I'd share with the group, for you all to discuss, heckle or discard. ;)

He had an SLE with the big spars, and no adjustment leaders... While I was there, I cued him into the 1/4" spars and the adjustments on the handles, which prompted his questions.

Well that pretty much sums it up!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#3 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:59 AM

Just responded to a fine gentleman who I met in Australia on my most recent trip, I really went off on this one...

Wow, that's alot to digest in a small space... Copy. Paste.

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.com/LeshockArts
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#4 melnsct

melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:52 AM

Thanks, John!!!
VERY helpful!!!
Melanie in Tennessee
Melanie in Tennessee

#5 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:17 PM

OWN THY HOVER,That Cracked me up John

AMEN...

BRIAN...

#6 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:05 PM

Keep your hands on the foam (not at the top of the handles), so your index finger is right at the top edge of that foam... Tension on the index finger is for forward, middle finger is for hover, and ring finger is for reverse ("micronizes" the input), thumb and pinky are simply for leverage and grip on the handles... Obviously that's not exact,

I tried this today as best I could and it makes a huge difference in control. I had been pretty much driving with my thumbs and while I still need to use them I found this method did a number of positive things. Less hand and finger fatigue, less "death grip" on the controls, less overcontrol and easy to "float" the controls for small adjustments. I'll be working on this more and more now.

Thanks.

Bart

#7 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:29 PM

I tried this today as best I could and it makes a huge difference in control. I had been pretty much driving with my thumbs and while I still need to use them I found this method did a number of positive things. Less hand and finger fatigue, less "death grip" on the controls, less overcontrol and easy to "float" the controls for small adjustments. I'll be working on this more and more now.

Thanks.

Bart

The "death grip" has always been the biggest problem i've seen with new flyers, Glad to see your coming along :sign_kitelife:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#8 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:32 PM

thats whats its all about about .. the true way of kiting .. way to go john .. makeing a diffrence in someones life
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#9 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

John,

The only thing wrong is that you put the response together about five months too late. I sure could have used it in June when I was trying to fly with about zero brake.

Your list does bring to mind a video that could help both the new and the old flyer. Do a chapter on how to teach others to fly a Rev. At first glance that sounds dumb ... after all we have a demo DVD with each B-series package. But, after listening and watching others, I would argue that teaching Rev flying is a separate skill set. Good flyers do not necessarily make good teachers ... many times their skills are advanced enough they can't even remember what the hang-ups were when they were learning. Ben says he's a great teacher ... pick his brain. There's a YouTube video of Joe H. teaching a French gal to fly ... that's a good example of how to teach.

The video would lay out a plan - not unlike your post that started this thread - and give hints on how to explain each step of the process to new flyers. How to set up the kite, what the correct brake set up should feel like, what, how and in what order to practice maneuvers, etc.. It could also serve as a learning video to the new flyer who doesn't have an instructor living nearby.

I would expect this video to be the most difficult one you guys assemble.

Thanks for listening,
Tom

#10 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:24 PM

John,

Just read Bartman's flight log/blog in another thread. In the middle of the post I picked up on a "brain trick" that might help some flyers learn the inverted horizontal slide:

"I also wanted to work on the inverted slides again. I struggled with them. Couldn't get much left or right movement without touching the ground or flipping over. Also kept getting screwed up with which pull moves what direction. Knowing that most of what the kite is doing is in direct measure to what I was doing I decided to try a different approach to this. I decided to massively exaggerate the push/pull and see what would happen. It made a difference."

This is an example of the type of "if this doesn't work, try this" clues that would be in a how to teach video.

Cheers,
Tom

#11 PNW Flyer

PNW Flyer
  • Forum Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

This will be a tremendous help to me being a newbie/green pea.

Thanks John!!

Just think, had I not been out flying my 2 liner at Ocean Shores one weekend about 2yrs ago and looked over to see you flying this CRAZY lookin' kite(A Rev.) and doing some CRAZY stunts along with dancing across the top of some guys pickup while he was driving along on the beach(Friggin' Priceless!!) I would've never known about Revolution Kites. I walked up and asked you about it, we shot the sh*t for a while and you kindly directed me to a kite shop in town. Now I'm hooked. Nice! Evil,Evil addiction ;) in a good way :)

Peace,
Bernie
Fly be free!!

#12 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

My pleasure Bernie, and I can speak for everyone here... Welcome to the dark side, we're glad to have you. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#13 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:39 PM

Also, a special practice for you... Let the brake (top) adjustments out one knot at a time (longer top lines) until you absolutely cannot launch the kite, then pull 'em back in by one knot... Fly that way (despite the difficulties) for at least 30-40 minutes out of every several hours flying.

What a fabulous way of putting it. ;)

Seriously, I assume the quotes were from the Ausie chap seeing as you have removed his name from the quote code for privacy. He seems to know more than you John, and even writes with an american accent. It must be particularly gratifying that they use iQuad phrases like "Own thy hoover" down-under too. All that 'Bruce' says seems to make perfect sence and is excellent advice. In fact, to be honest, I would ask him if you can borrow some bits of it and put it in your mythical next video ;)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users