Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NickParidon

NickParidon
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:55 PM

I've been noticing that my kite makes a lot more noise than most peoples do. The lower part of the sail seems to luff a lot more than most, and it seems like its probably not good for the sail. Steve from iQuad told me that I needed to add more brake, so I use the last knot (furthest from the handle) on the top of my handles. But this still hasn't fixed the problem. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to fix this.

Thanks Nick

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

I've been noticing that my kite makes a lot more noise than most peoples do. The lower part of the sail seems to luff a lot more than most, and it seems like its probably not good for the sail. Steve from iQuad told me that I needed to add more brake, so I use the last knot (furthest from the handle) on the top of my handles. But this still hasn't fixed the problem. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to fix this.

Thanks Nick

If the sail has a bit of time on it, in particular strong winds, the trailing edge will stretch. This is another source of the noise.
You can reduce this by how much brake you use in flight. As the kite flies forward increase and decrease brake ever so slightly to in order to increase and decrease the noise. Search for the position with the least amount of noise then adjust the lines on the knots of the handle pig tails that fits best your way of flying.
Note: If you trailing edge is stretched too much, you will not be able to reduce all of the noise.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 NickParidon

NickParidon
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:55 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with stretching (correct me if I'm wrong) because the kite is essentially brand new (b-series by the way). It seems like people with older kites don't have this problem. I watched people at wildwood do divestops almost silently. It is possible that my handles are set up wrong though. I use the b-series handles with the far knot on both the top and bottom. If this isn't right please do let me know.

Nick

#4 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:14 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with stretching (correct me if I'm wrong) because the kite is essentially brand new (b-series by the way). It seems like people with older kites don't have this problem. I watched people at wildwood do divestops almost silently. It is possible that my handles are set up wrong though. I use the b-series handles with the far knot on both the top and bottom. If this isn't right please do let me know.

Nick

To increase the brake bring your lines in closer to the handles on the bottom. Out on the top and in on the bottom equals more brake.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#5 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:48 PM

Nick

You use the same settings as me, and I don' notice a large amount of noise in my kites. You may want to tighten your bungees. Make sure the sail is tight.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

All above is good advice.

Sail should be tight enough that there are no wrinkles in it just tighten the bottom bungees and tie a new knot maybe half an inch in. Dont cut the exess off initially as you may need to re adjust. If it fixes the problem then you can cut. I had help from Steve "Super Cool" de Roy on this. He shortened my bungees for me. I still have not cut them off. The kite is so much better behaved for Steves touch.

Also your leaders may not be long enough to give you as much brake as you need / want. It is easy to tie up new ones. When I do it I make them a couple of knots longer than I think I need, for instance I think iQuad generally fly on 9" top leaders, please correct me if I am wrong. My top leaders are as long as the span in my B series handles, but then I have made up bottom ones which are a bit longer than standard as well. I put about 1" knots on the top and 2 knots about .5" on the bottom. Thus by adjusting between the top and bottoms if I ned to I have I think it is 14 half inch adjustments. I could re tie them though as I never use the nearer knots on the top. May do so one day when it is to wet / cold / windy to fly (whenever that is)

#7 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:03 AM

Nick

Tis always possible you have a bad sail, there are some about here now that have had panels realigned and one with pleats sewn in to reshape the lower edge, I must say Ben has been first class in dealing with the problem kites we have had, if adjusting leaders and bugees does not solve the problem send Ben some good pics of the assembled kite and ask his opinion.

#8 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

Nick-

I had the same problem with a (near) brand new standard "B" (with less than 10 hours fly time).

As a newbee, I thought it was just me, but a well-known kiter, who will remain anonymous, tightened both bottom bungees and presto... all is good!

Jynx :cat:

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#9 deebs1596

deebs1596

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

i have had this problem on kites before- wasnt quad though. still tightened the bungees and that solved the problem
----Dan-----

lost in thought or lost in a field... either way send a search party

i fly what i can and stare at what i cant.

#10 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:19 PM

JB strongly suggested I tighten the bungies on a new B after just an hour or two of flying to accomodate the initial cloth stretch. But only a LITTLE. Worked for me.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#11 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:38 AM

JB strongly suggested I tighten the bungies on a new B after just an hour or two of flying to accomodate the initial cloth stretch. But only a LITTLE. Worked for me.

The other thing to remember is that the bungee does lose its elasticity after a while especially if its over tight ... I have replaced the standard bungee on my vented B's with a slightly heavier and higher performance (more stretchy!) version which seems to be an improvement...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users