13 replies to this topic

#1 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:45 AM

Ok first off, one of the reasons i orginally started flying rev's was because of the frustration i used to get trying to get slack line tricks with a dual line, there just seems to be so much trial and error with slack line tricks and while i have pretty good control of a dual line and can JUST about pull off axels, i REALLY prefer the way the controls are so precise with a Rev ie: you do 'this' and 'that' happens.

UNTIL, of course, i see that axels are possible with rev's and then i want them just as bad!!!

So, can anyone offer some advice?

I've downloaded JB's vid which is super helpful.

My main problem seems to be not completing the 360, often what happen is ill get in to the axel ok, but as the LE comes round to face me the kite just plummets out of the sky. . . this usually happens when i've got the kite nice and flat for a nice entry into the trick and almost always ends with one of the wings going between the top and bottom lines.

Some times it just clicks and works fine but it's when i'm trying to really flatten the sail out i have probs - does it need to go so flat?

I THINK what i need to be doing is once i've puled on the right handle and given slack with the left is then to pull in on the left to bring the kite round into the full spin . . .

The most frustrating bit is, i can do it, it's just SOOO inconsistent, unlike any other move i've learnt with a rev. . .

any help appreciated

Marty
Thinking about a stack . . .

For life outside of kiting please read my Lymphoma Charity Blog:
http://www.marti-tho...0.blogspot.com/

#2 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

What rods are you using for your leading edge?

#3 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:25 PM

What rods are you using for your leading edge?

i'm currently using a 1.5 SLE with 4 wraps

#4 deebs1596

deebs1596

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:31 PM

the SLE might be a little too heavy to pull axels for a person new to axeling. it can be done with SLE's it takes a certian touch though
----Dan-----

lost in thought or lost in a field... either way send a search party

i fly what i can and stare at what i cant.

#5 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:15 PM

One thing that I find helpful when going into an axel, is to first give a tiny pull on the opposite arm before you do the main pull with your other arm. This get's the kite loosened up for the axel.

You don't want the axel to be too flat, because then too much air can get behind the sail and cause it to do some funky things.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:56 PM

One thing that helps learning them is do them out to the sides of the window, axles work betting in low wind until you really get used to them.

One thing that helps me do them is if I'm going to snap back with the right hand i try to have my left back as much as i can right before so it gives that little extra slack when it starts.

I've actually gotten to the point where I can't even do a regular one anymore mine tend to be almost slow motion and super flat, But I blame that on flying with Scott Weider and no I'm not complaining slow motion float axles are awesome.

It takes a little time to get the feeling and the right amount of fwd step once you get it a few times its like riding a bike.

Good Luck, remember lighter winds make it easier. :sign_kitelife:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#7 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:12 PM

If you have a short line set, give it a try.
Being closer to the kite lets you see what's working and not working more clearly and you can aways 3D throw the Rev to launch it after crashes. ;)

#8 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:13 AM

position the kite with the leading edge either inverted or angled facing left/right,... (but not UPRIGHT like a dualie!)

punch one hand forward, away from your torso and push that thumb forward (down towards the kite) at the same time
PLUS yank the other whole arm backwards, toward and passed your hip, .... do it all together in one smooth motion

practice on the edge of the window

add a step forward if necessary (give slack)

Eventually you'll need less and less of these 3 things to initiate the trick

I'm still working on the inverted side-slide to axel at the edge
(like Scott Weider's! Man, his looks so crisp and S-L-O-W, eventually mine will look this good too!)

Hey, I almost forgot,.... the other day I gave a 10 year old boy a quad lesson. Within the 1st five minutes he was flying it alone, one handed and doing dive-stops on my command. I never felt so proud of my teaching skills, but then I looked over at his father and he has absolute dread upon his face. Sheepishly he asks me, real quiet like .... "how much is a kite like that?"

Many of us have taught a lot of folks to fly our favorite toys, but in all my years no one has ever grasped the principles so quickly. I guess the stars and planets were in perfect alignment that day. I came home and discussed the young man with my wife like I'd won the lottery! I hope they can come out again for another chance on the handles.

#9 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:14 AM

Thanks everyone for your tips. Today i spent 3 hours or so flying on the beach and practising axels on 40' lines.

Definitely helps to pull the opposite hand back a bit before giving it slack (thanks Watty) and was getting much more of a feel for how hard you need to tug in different levels of wind - out to the edge easier when it's windy (thanks fort flyer!). The shorter lines saved lots of walking and good practice for my 3D throws too (thanks SteveB).

Looking forward to trying them with a standard b when i get one. . .

A happy and wind swept Marty B)

#10 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:39 PM

Hey, I almost forgot,.... the other day I gave a 10 year old boy a quad lesson. Within the 1st five minutes he was flying it alone, one handed and doing dive-stops on my command. I never felt so proud of my teaching skills, but then I looked over at his father and he has absolute dread upon his face. Sheepishly he asks me, real quiet like .... "how much is a kite like that?"

Many of us have taught a lot of folks to fly our favorite toys, but in all my years no one has ever grasped the principles so quickly. I guess the stars and planets were in perfect alignment that day. I came home and discussed the young man with my wife like I'd won the lottery! I hope they can come out again for another chance on the handles.

Great story!
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#11 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:33 AM

ahaaaa - had a revelation today with axels in terms of the amount of slack on the line you need to allow. It definitely varies according to wind/ where the kite is but i clearly wasn't giving the kite enough slack which is why it often nose dived. Also the angle of the slide seems to make a big difference - the more horizontal the LE is the flatter the spin - too flat/ hoprizontal and all goes wrong for me at the moment but with a bit of angle in the direction of the slide i've had some pretty sweet spins today.

:blue-grin:

#12 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:11 AM

ahaaaa - had a revelation today with axels in terms of the amount of slack on the line you need to allow. It definitely varies according to wind/ where the kite is but i clearly wasn't giving the kite enough slack which is why it often nose dived. Also the angle of the slide seems to make a big difference - the more horizontal the LE is the flatter the spin - too flat/ hoprizontal and all goes wrong for me at the moment but with a bit of angle in the direction of the slide i've had some pretty sweet spins today.

:blue-grin:

Cool. Right now I am only dreaming about doing one of those, or two or three! I'll really need to watch everything I can get my hands on over winter and work on that inverted slide to make that happen first though.

Bart

#13 Martyjuggles

Martyjuggles

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:38 AM

Just to add an addition for those following this thread in future for their own learning benefit,

I've realised today that once you get the feel for the axel, the kite is actually incredibly stable in the air once the axel is initiated and that you can take several steps forward during the spin to ensure slack lines, whatismore the hand initating axel can tug pretty hard even in light winds and there is a certain 'flick' to it once you get the feel, it's also best if you hold it back behind you for the majority of the spin, finally the opposite hand is best just left to go really loose and for me is best if hold it loosely right at the d-ring so there's lots of forward drive.

Also, once the axel is complete, you use the brake lines to kind of 'catch' the spin and bring the kite back under tensioned control. This catch can be done, with practice after just half a spin or as much as two spins (in my fairly brief experience).

Hope this is of some help to anyone else learning this move in the future.

Marty

#14 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:59 PM

and once you have started an axel you can carry it on into 3 or 4
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users